Capello and Carrick

Hawkeye

:lol: Just seen Capello saying to Carrick. " I thought you were injured?" when collecting the trophy :lol:

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Really? I would think SAF would be keen on him getting picked for England as he needs a few more games like Rooney, Owen, Park etc..

Feed Me

I'm hungry
feck Capello, quite frankly. He didn't rate him enough to give him a a chance even when it was abundantly clear that Barry wasn't sharp.

wade

feck Capello, quite frankly. He didn't rate him enough to give him a a chance even when it was abundantly clear that Barry wasn't sharp.
To be fair, Carrick hadn't had a great season. As much as I thought he should be selected, it didn't surprise me at all he wasn't.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Sir Alex Ferguson kicked off the season with a major shock last night by making a public apology after winning the Community Shield.

And the Manchester United manager also made the stunning claim that he was happy for Wayne England to play for England this week.

Ferguson had declared Michael Carrick would be out for a fortnight with an ankle injury on Friday - only for the midfielder to start against Chelsea at Wembley yesterday.

Fabio Capello, who left Carrick out of his squad on Saturday, appeared to ask Carrick after the game why he had not telephoned him.

And after his side's 3-1 win, a contrite Ferguson explained he was to blame.

"I can only apologise to people," said the Scot.

"On Friday I was certain he was out for two weeks. He came in yesterday, said he was fit and wanted to train, trained, and played. The minute he said he wanted to play we had to play him, simply because he needs game time."
SAF apologizing! :eek:

I thought it was funny as feck seeing Carrick start. We all know SAF is a world class bullshitter but he maybe genuine this time. I'm sure he'd rather Carrick played for England and got some game time since he has barely played.

Minkaro

I think what's happening there is Carrick loaned Capello some metal albums over the summer.

Capello is attempting to show that he enjoyed them, but sadly hasn't quite mastered the horns yet.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
:confused: Barry had a decent Premier league season, and he had convinced in England's midfield prior to the World Cup. Carrick was lacking in both areas, but don't let that take off your red tinted glasses.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
When Capello came in I was certain it was going to mean Carrick dislodging Gerrard or Lampard. The fact he has a continental style of play and the fact Capello is a known admirer of a 5 man Midfield.

It may have been that Carrick's form took a downturn over the last 18 months but it's disappointing all the same.

kietotheworld

He didn't give him a chance because he'd been dogshit all season.

kietotheworld

So why pick him now ? Its not like he's proved himself in-between is it ?
Because it's only a friendly, there are no important tournaments which will be lost if Carrick has another shocker, as he had done on many occasions in the last year or so.

The same could be said of Gerrard, Barry and Heskey, to name but a few.
They had all worked in Capello's system leading up to the World Cup though. Carrick's performances certainly changing a system which had been working.

Ruud_boy_10

Because it's only a friendly, there are no important tournaments which will be lost if Carrick has another shocker, as he had done on many occasions in the last year or so.

They had all worked in Capello's system leading up to the World Cup though. Carrick's performances certainly changing a system which had been working.
What about Walcott then?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
So why pick him now ? Its not like he's proved himself in-between is it ?
A chance to involve himself in a game which doesn't mean too much. That's how fringe players break into the starting 11. Carrick is a player who needs a good performance for England to progress further at that level. Else he will start getting over taken.

Crustanoid

Not when there is a friendly to be played and he can grab his chance in it. I think folks are now just having a go at Capello for the sake of it.
This. Although it's a pretty funny situation, SAF and Carrick blatantly bullshitting, Capello has a chance to include Carrick more now and (hopefully) drop one of Lampard or Gerrard

Ruud_boy_10

The guy is 29 years old. He's probably thinking that if he hasn't established his place in the team by now then he never will. He's about 7/8th choice now so whats the point of going.

I wouldn't be suprised if he retired from international football very soon. Scholesy retired at about the same age after watching "super fwank" and "stevie me" put in dismal performances time and time again. It must be frustrating knowing you have 0/nil chance of playing yet having to join up for training.

This. Although it's a pretty funny situation, SAF and Carrick blatantly bullshitting, Capello has a chance to include Carrick more now and (hopefully) drop one of Lampard or Gerrard
I agree about Capello.

IMO for this friendly he should pair Huddlestone with Carrick deep, play @ wide men, Gerard in the hole, and Rooney up top. But Capello sadly is too tactically rigid to do such.

The guy is 29 years old. He's probably thinking that if he hasn't established his place in the team by now then he never will. He's about 7/8th choice now so whats the point of going.

I wouldn't be suprised if he retired from international football very soon. Scholesy retired at about the same age after watching "super fwank" and "stevie me" put in dismal performances time and time again. It must be frustrating knowing you have 0/nil chance of playing yet having to join up for training.
Well Carrick will only have himself to blame with the way he has played for England. For some reason he can't show up for them. Scholes in comparison still played well in a wrong role before he got tired of it and retired.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Not when there is a friendly to be played and he can grab his chance in it. I think folks are now just having a go at Capello for the sake of it.
Nah, not having a go at Capello for England's ills. I was advocating Carrick's inclusion just prior to the start of the World Cup.

I've always thought Carrick is a superior player to Barry - form, or no form. in any case, Barry had a crap season himself.

Nah, not having a go at Capello for England's ills. I was advocating Carrick's inclusion just prior to the start of the World Cup.

I've always thought Carrick is a superior player to Barry - form, or no form. in any case, Barry had a crap season himself.
Compared to Carrick though he was super. Carrick in all honesty was not even a skeleton of his real self. He was only bone marrow.

Shimo

Compared to Carrick though he was super. Carrick in all honesty was not even a skeleton of his real self. He was only bone marrow.
Not sure how serious you are but, most wouldn't go that far. He was never that bad. He just wasn't as good as he was in previous seasons and still better than Barry.

Not sure how serious you are but, most wouldn't go that far. He was never that bad. He just wasn't as good as he was in previous seasons and still better than Barry.
Nah. He was really poor overall. If he recaptures consistently his real form this season you will realise how far behind it he was last term. He definitely didn't have a better season than Barry. That is why he couldn't even dislodge the fella from the England XI when Barry wasn't fit before the world cup.

Anyways, that is that. One thing I'm wondering now though is why Lampard at 32 is still bothering with international football. When his performances in them haven't been stellar for a while. While Terry IMO should just be dropped for good. His pace seems totally gone and he has become a liability at that level because England lack the type of DM's that can cover him effectively.

Shimo

I think Carrick didn't dislodge Barry because of Capello's rigidity. Barry had a few games for England where he performed reasonably well and Carrick hasn't had a really outstanding game for England - and such Capello went with him.

The fact that Hargreaves even came to his thinking after so long tells me how fixated he gets on certain players. Which is something that needs to change if he is to improve England.

Certainly Lampard and Gerrard can no longer coexist on the same field regardless of how well they do with their clubs. Drop Lampard and get a proper winger on the left - maybe Adam Johnson.

Put Gerrard behind Rooney and then pair up Barry/Carrick behind or even Carrick/Milner. I think Milner has the capacity to run and tackle plus would be better at taking the ball forward than Barry. Carrick to sit in front of the back 4 and dictate play from there.

Before the England / Germany game - think it was the Algeria game that I said Barry would cost England the Cup - he almost did against Algeria and certainly was culpable against Germany because he is lousy in possession. He can maybe go into a tackle better than Carrick but, what England need is someone that can control the game and bar Scholes - I only see Carrick capable of that.