*Opportunity To Improve The Atmosphere At Old Trafford*

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Manchester United special report: Pump up the volume! - by Andy Mitten

If you’re a current season ticket holder interested in this idea, email otsingingsection@hotmail.co.uk so that numbers can be gauged.

Envy. That’s what many diehard Manchester United fans felt on European travels this season. It wasn’t because of superior opponents, but the quality of the atmosphere in Lisbon, Amsterdam, Bilbao and Basle. They raised their game because United were visitors, they also made Old Trafford – and most English grounds – sound like a library. And to think that many continentals still describe their most atmospheric stadiums as being like ‘an English ground’.

Old Trafford used to be brilliant, the atmosphere worn as a badge of honour by fans. Scientists once measured the noise from the Stretford End in the ’70s and compared it to a 747 at take off. The decline in noise levels has been slow and painful, the reasons numerous. Abolishing terracing didn’t help, but United fanzines were deriding the Stretford End for being quiet long before it was bulldozed in 1992.

Price rises didn’t help either, while the type of fans attending Old Trafford as the team became more successful were not always inclined to be as vocal. Roy Keane had a point about the prawn sandwiches.

And maybe some long-standing Reds stopped making the effort too because they knew that United would win most games - something that didn’t happen in the ’70s and ’80s.

With terracing, you could stand where you wanted. If you wanted to sing your heart out then you went in the middle of the Stretford End, the end of the United Road or one of the Scoreboard Paddocks. With reserved seating, people take their places much later, mates are often separated and fans complain that they’ve been sitting next to tourists who don’t know the words to songs.

One vocal element also stopped going to Old Trafford after the 2005 Glazers takeover. Some now create a din at FC United that is the envy of far bigger clubs. Others aren’t there because of rising prices. Although prices are still high, the increases are slowing or have stopped.

But Old Trafford is not dead, far from it. It was bouncing for the 2008 Champions League semi-final against Barcelona and superb as recently as a month ago when Liverpool came to lose another league match, but there are still issues which inhibit the atmosphere.

The acoustics in the second tier of the Stretford End, where many vocal fans sit, are not ideal, nor is the distance from the pitch. There’s also area of executive seating in the Stretford End, while fans in other areas of the stadium who want to kick-start the atmosphere claim that they are not surrounded by like-minded souls. However, now there’s an opportunity for change.

Subject to council approval and a trial against Aston Villa next month, away fans are being moved to tier three of the Sir Alex Ferguson stand. Not every United fan is in favour as away fans still contribute to the atmosphere, but the numbers of travelling supporters have declined season on season – Fulham bought a new low of 320 on Monday. United have thus decided that they would like home fans only at the East End of the stadium, the old Scoreboard End.

After much consultation, a group of fans have approached the club with a view to dedicating an area of Old Trafford to like-minded fans who want to sing and support the team, to try and create a din akin to what we’ve heard on our travels this season.
At a meeting with senior United officials on Monday, the club welcomed the idea and are willing to put aside the seats currently used by away fans.
That could be 1,400, 1,900 or 2,500 seats where the view and acoustics are excellent. Fans who want to get behind the team can have those seats, mates can sit together and nobody will be moved from their seat because they are currently used by away fans. The area would initially be offered to existing season ticket holders – so that the same fans go every week.

Sir Alex Ferguson likes the idea, as do fans who’ve heard the suggestion.

“It’s a perfect opportunity to reinvigorate the atmosphere,” said Pete Boyle, who starts many of the OT songs. “Like-minded Reds can sing and generate a vibrant atmosphere like we see in Europe. Me and my mates are going to move to the new section and I urge all other season tickets holders who want to join us to come aboard. It’s time for fans to stop moaning, to stop being cynical and do something about the atmosphere.”

United are happy to let supporters take the lead on this idea. Happy, too, to let fans dress the area with the type of flags the Stretford End Flags group have organised and adorn the opposite end of the ground.

The prices will be the same as in the Stretford End second tier - currently £37/38 and unlikely to increase next season – with a 50 per cent discount offered to fans aged 16-17.

With decent stewards who are respected by the fans in their current sections and significant fan input, it can work. If you’re a current season ticket holder interested in the idea, email otsingingsection@hotmail.co.uk so that numbers can be gauged.

Nobody is pretending Old Trafford will be transformed into Boca Juniors’ brilliant Bombonera for atmosphere overnight, but it’s a chance to make Old Trafford great again and for away fans to be envious of the new vibe in M16.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Great if they can get it to work but how do you ensure its all 'like minded fans' and not made up of many fans just looking for a better view.
Well I suppose you can't ensure every fan who goes there is a vocal one, but as long as the vast majority want to get involved then it will work.
In fact if you just want the best view then there are better places to sit.

Anyway I see you are a season ticket holder so do please send an email expressing your support for the idea! If people don't show support then it might not happen.

Good stuff. Bringing down the average age of match-going fans should be a priority.
Totally agree - in fact not everyone seems to realise that it is only £10 for junior members in all parts of the ground nowadays.

When I was a kid, my dad had to pay full price to take me - admittedly it was a lot cheaper!

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Nothing should change there I don't think. Ideally, I picture the stretford end and east stand competing on who can make the most noise, resulting in some good atmospheres.
that would be epic if it worked out. Well I was more on about upper tier. Think thats where Boyle and co sing from. I know the stretty will always have a voice as it isnt just feckin boyle singing :D I;m just curious more than anything.

99 red balloons

You reckon you can get turfed for not joining in enough?

I've had seats in the Stretford T1 for years, and gradually noticed how lots of what I would call "new" fans have started appearing, seemingly content to have a ticket in the Stretford End, so they too can observe the atmosphere, without actually contributing to it.

My only fear would be that it would happen in this new area too.

However, I'd definitely be interested and will be sending an email to that address.

MPTutd

Great idea. Hopefully that section will awaken the rest of the ground too. I think we just need a large section to start and then others follow. Problem is at the moment that too many singers are distributed about the ground.

MUFCgal

You reckon you can get turfed for not joining in enough?

I've had seats in the Stretford T1 for years, and gradually noticed how lots of what I would call "new" fans have started appearing, seemingly content to have a ticket in the Stretford End, so they too can observe the atmosphere, without actually contributing to it.

My only fear would be that it would happen in this new area too.

However, I'd definitely be interested and will be sending an email to that address.
I can only speak for myself here. I go over regularly, several times a season, to OT. I was lucky enough one time to get a ticket for the Stretford End, on the second tier. The reason I wanted to experience being in the Stretford End was precisely because of the atmosphere, and because I like to sing and make noise.

The best experience I've had of being at OT was that one time of sitting (or should I say standing!) in the Stretford End. We stood for the whole 90 minutes. We sang, chanted, roared, shouted and I loved every second of it. My voice was busted by the end of the match.

A lot of people do like to experience the Stretford End due to it's reputation, but yes it's true, some don't contribute to the singing and noise despite being there.

I wouldn't like to see that happen to the new 'singing section'. I think it should be left solely for people who attend every match, who are familiar with each other.

I'm excited to see how this new section turns out, and how it could possibly improve the atmosphere.

kps88

How will this effect the Stretty though? I don't expect the songs to sync up with the Stretty. A small worry it could take away all the vocal fans from ST2.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We're spoilt and we have been for some time. Stick us in a Champions League semi and we'll make a racket. Everything else seems to be beneath us. I suppose it's nice that our fans are able to feel relaxed and drift off at 1-0 up in the league run-in.

When it comes to the comparison with those European fans we've seen this season, though, it's not just us. They wipe the floor with every single English club. It's a completely different culture.

Neo_Mufc

How will this effect the Stretty though? I don't expect the songs to sync up with the Stretty. A small worry it could take away all the vocal fans from ST2.
You're right the song's won't sync up with ST2 where most of the songs come from. I used to sit row 40 last row at the top of ST2 which is essentially one of the best areas for atmospheres in the stadium. When we played Liverpool and we lost 4-1 I didn't hear the scousers at all when they were beating us, only a few times when we went quiet. Only until I came down the steps to the entrance closer to the pitch where you can hear them. ST2 has a massive cantilever roof which does take away from some of the acoustics.

I'm not sure what the club are trying to do with this? Are they creating a section for season ticket holders to essentially move to this area and be given a seat so they can sit with their mates?

RK

Surely this idea could make the atmosphere worse?

Only a couple of thousand seats in that area, and they're targeting the singing fans in other sections. As long as nobody moves from ST2 it'll probably improve, otherwise it'll just become even more dispersed than it is now.

manutddjw

Success and fan expectations, has probably been the biggest factor in the declining atmosphere at Old Trafford. Like the article says, in games against rivals (historical or title) or knockout Champions League ties, where the game can go either way, the atmosphere is good.

In Premier League games, that on paper, we should win, the atmosphere is poor. I think people sit there just waiting for something to happen. It's like they're saving themselves for the goal that they think is coming. That's why teams whose fans don't have the expectations as ours do, like Everton or Stoke create a much better atmosphere.

In regards to foreign fans. For me personally, the few times I've went to Old trafford I participated in the songs and contributed to the atmosphere. It makes no sense to spend alot of money on travel, tickets and accomodation, to pretty much sit there and watch a football match. If I were to do that, it would've been cheaper to watch the game on TV and I'd have a better view of the game itself. The atmosphere and being apart of it, was the draw for me.

Sylar

We're spoilt and we have been for some time. Stick us in a Champions League semi and we'll make a racket. Everything else seems to be beneath us.
TBH, against Schalke last year it wasnt that great. So many people were leaving on 80 minutes as well. It was annoying and the one dude sat in front of me was ranting at them because lets face it, we were just about to enter our third European final in 4 years yet people left and didnt clap of the players. Madness.

I like this idea. Old Trafford hasnt been great for atmospheres and it seems like it gets worse with every game I go to.

Donut

Stupid question, but still... How many people singing their hearts out are needed for a good atmosphere?

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Stupid question, but still... How many people singing their hearts out are needed for a good atmosphere?
Funnily enough a group of 30+ all around each other can generate a very loud noise. In a stadium though its a different matter, especially within OT as it's acoustics aren't the greatest.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
TBH, against Schalke last year it wasnt that great. So many people were leaving on 80 minutes as well. It was annoying and the one dude sat in front of me was ranting at them because lets face it, we were just about to enter our third European final in 4 years yet people left and didnt clap of the players. Madness.

I like this idea. Old Trafford hasnt been great for atmospheres and it seems like it gets worse with every game I go to.
I was in East T2 for that match, next to the away fans, and the atmosphere was friggin awesome where we were. My voice had totally gone by the end and we stayed to applaud the team off the pitch.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm not sure what the club are trying to do with this? Are they creating a section for season ticket holders to essentially move to this area and be given a seat so they can sit with their mates?
It is not actually the club's idea, the proposal was put forward by certain fans and the club has said they are willing to back it if enough interest is shown.

There had been some discussions about a singing section before but the main issue was about where it would be situated - as you note, Stretty T2 currently is the most vocal area but the acoustics there mean the sound doesnt travel, I would hope that it still stayed as a vocal area of the ground regardless of this proposal. East/West Lower were also discussed but the issue there was that current ST holders in those areas would not want to move away.

The planned move of the Away area to North T3 has been seen as the perfect opportunity for the fans to work with the club to decide what happens in the newly vacated area.

So, yes - this is an opportunity for those ST holders who want to sing to move together and sit with like minded mates. Although it would just be a relatively small area at first, the hope is that it can refocus a lot of the more vocal fans and then the effect can spread.

Liam147

On Probation
Although you need it to be for regulars so that the tickets don't fall into the tourists' hands who have no interest in contributing to the atmosphere, you do need to keep a certain number free (much like the Stretty), so that you can attract people to come. If I hadn't have experienced the Stretty when I did, and then another part of the ground in comparison (NW2 since you asked), I'd hardly go if I was sat anywhere else in the ground, the atmosphere just isn't there (although I still wonder what the K Stand's like; being so far away from it I never really can tell).

However you could split fans up, where fans from ST2 aren't interested in moving, yet just enough who will to dilute the atmosphere. The only way I could see it working properly is if it really took off, so that it spread through the K Stand, and attracted more people to join in.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
The club has to do something to stop the youth of Manchester from drifting over to the dark side of town.

Wether they will or not, well....

IrishLegend

I wouldn't want to give up my seat in T2 of the Stretty, great seat / view and brilliant atmosphere.

Also if I moved i'm guessing the stewards would be more strict over standing. It's abit hard for them to tell the whole of T2 to sit down :)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Saw this update on another site:

Singing Section says:

Thanks for the support.
We hope that this will benefit the whole of Old Trafford and increase the volumes in the lower tiers.
So far, since our email launch at 10am today, we have had over 700 season ticket holders saying they want to move into the section. That is without any info being out on the official manutd Website.
Not bad for a working day.

People have stated they are willing to move there fom all parts of Old Trafford.

This area also offers an oportunity for space to hang fans own flags.

We will also look to re-promote Stretford End Tier 2 and have this as a visible singing section option when match day members can apply for seats.​

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Here's a few examples of the singing section at Lansdowne Road which has gone a long way to improving atmospehres at Ireland games in recent years.

Hopefully it has the same impact at OT.

Neo_Mufc

Will the email address in the OP be the only means of getting in the new section or will the club eventually intervene and you'll have to go from there?

Robin

I am guessing that that email address was created by Andy Mitten and not United to gauge demand, I am not sure whether it is connected officially with United unless he is making the case for it to put to them.