Paul Tierney CUFC Watch

yaps

(287 Games - 15 Goals) Toxic Frogger
Loanee Paul Straight In

Talented young Manchester United defender Paul Tierney could be in line to make his Colchester United debut tommorrow.

U's boss Phil Parkinson has swooped to bring the classy Republic of Ireland Under-21 international to Layer Road on a month's loan and he goes into the squad for the home game against Tranmere Rovers.

The U's manager, who welcomes back striker Rowan Vine after a bout of tonsilitis, said "Paul is a left-back who had played 22 League and cup games on loan with Crewe Alexandra.

"And he also played for Manchester United in their Carling Cup defeat against West Bromich Albion earlier this season.

"It has been a problem finding a player who is not cup-tied and, although Paul was not registered in time to figure in our FA Cup replay against Coventry on Tuesday, he will be eligible to play in any future rounds and the LDV VAns Trophy ties against Southend."

Comfortable

Tierney, who will don number 26 on his shirt, was also among the substitutes for Manchesters trip to Chelsea last season and is equally comfortable playing in midfield.

He already boasts a Nationwide League goal after scoring for Crewe in a 3-0 win over Blackpool last season and played a key role in the Railwaymens's promotion to Division One.

Parkinson has been on the lookout for an established left back for some time as cover for Andy Myers, who is sidelined for several more weeks with back injury.

Parkinson attempted to lure Tottenham Hotspur's Johnnie Jackson at the start of the season and has since played Karl dugid, Liam Chilvers, Sam Stockley, Joe Keith and Pat Baldwin on the problem left side of the back four.

Meanwhile, boasting just one win in the last nine League games, Parkinson is very keen to see-off Brian Little's Tranmere in what is a battle of the only remaining Second Division clubs still in the FA Cup.

He said: "We appear to have saved our best performances for the cups in the recent times.

"But Tranmere is, for me, the biggest game and I want to see us climb back up that League table as quickly as we can."

Taken from my local paper the 'Evening Gazette' - Friday, January 30, 2004

yaps

Colchester drew 1-1

Tierney started but got subbed on the 67th minute.

yaps

Tierney is keen to stay

NEW Boy Paul Tierney said today he is very keen to stay around and help Colchester United achieve their promotion dream at the end of the season.

And he would love to cap his one-month loan period at Layer Road by also helping the U's reach the LDV Vans Trophy final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

"That would be just great," the Manchester United loanee left-back told the Gazette. "If everything goes well I will be more than happy to extend my loan spell to three months."

The Republic of Ireland Under-21 international made his U's debut in Saturdays 1-1 draw with Tranmere Rovers and he is really looking forward to playing Second Division football after an eventful season which has seen him turn out against West Bromich Albion in the Carling Cup.

He saud "Our reserve team manager at Old Trafford told us a couple of weeks ago that first team chances would be very limited and if the opportunity to get League experience cropped up we should take it.

"A week later Colchester came in for me and Sir Alex Ferguson told me it would be good for me to snap up the chance."

Taken from my local paper the 'Evening Gazette' - Monday, February 2, 2004

yaps

Congrats to Colchester who won 3-1 tonight against Coventry in the FA Cup but as Paul Tierney wasn't allowed to play tonight, they played the other left back, Rowan Vine, who could keep him out the team as he scored all 3 goals

Colchester vs Coventry Match

yaps

Apologies, Rowan Vine was playing as a striker last night but on the link in the above post it looked as though he was down as left back.