Angelo Henriquez

datura

The Mirror are reporting we're poised to sign him:

Manchester United transfer news Alex Ferguson is set to pip rivals across the globe to land £3m-rated teenage Chilean striker Angelo Henriquez - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Manchester United swoop for Chile starlet
Published 23:00 22/03/11 By Alan Nixon - EXCLUSIVE

Manchester United are ready to sign teenage Chilean striker Angelo Henriquez in a £3million swoop.

Boss Sir Alex Ferguson has teed up the deal for the 16-year-old South American sensation, who will sign shortly for the Red Devils – pipping rivals from around the globe.

The youngster has already been to United for training, but now an agency – working for the club – has agreed terms.

United are using the same Brazilian firm who brought Rafael and Fabio da Silva to the club. The youngster, who plays for Universidad de Chile, is starring in the South American Under-17 Championship.

Henriquez has been notching goals with head and feet for Chile in the torunament in Peru, as he shows he may be one of the continent’s best emerging talents.

Ferguson and his staff are working overtime to improve their youngsters after a spell when the assembly line dried up.

United's American owners are also keen to sign young players, rather than pay large fees for established stars.

A quick google finds this video from 2009 when it appears that he and another Chilean went for trials at United:

3TV - Promesas chilenas al Manchester United (03/08/09)

Looks like he's scored a couple in the South America U17s, including one against Brazil

2011 South American Under-17 Football Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Devil may care

Great name! and at least he actually exists, but £3M for a 16 year old seems steep. Also he should surely be dubbed "The new Salas". :D

jb8521

Apparently this deal has been known about for a good while in Chile from August 2009
Ángelo Henríquez: "Me vigilan pa' que no me mande las embarradas de Pinilla" - ElCachondeo.cl

There is a special goal to begin to pave the way none other than Manchester United, all in exchange for 4 million euros.

Your name, Angelo Henriquez, child of 15 years, which has signed an agreement with the "Reds" between now and 2014 will definitely join the squad for Alex Ferguson.

What conditions? Travel twice a year to British soil, receive technical evaluations of the staff of Manchester

"in the under 15 I can not leave. In order to design my move in England I have to be selected, since each party will be people of Manchester looking at my performance

Heres a photo of him with Fergie
Archivo:Angelohenriquez.jpg - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He looks older than 15 in that pic.
The story starts at age 15, he may well be almost 17 on that photo.

Apparently we agreed an option to buy him any time before 2014 for 4M euros. Up until then he comes twice a year to train with us/have our staff check his progress.

Not a bad deal to have in place (depending on what was required to get the deal), if he comes good you act on it, if he doesn't you just move on. It would have been superb to have similar arrangements for the likes of Kaka, Pato and others when they started to show their promise.

Ringo 07

I think it was the Mirror who this time last year claimed we were about to sign a strike sensation from Argentina named Boselli! Poor Martinez bought into the hype and wasted his whole transfer budget on him and now Boselli I think is strugling to score on loan at Genoa!!

But theres nothing better than young South Americans joining our club so if we can find and develop the next Sanchez for a few million quid then it cant get better than that. Hopefully plenty more South Americans will follow if this kid moves to Manchester.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think it was the Mirror who this time last year claimed we were about to sign a strike sensation from Argentina named Boselli! Poor Martinez bought into the hype and wasted his whole transfer budget on him and now Boselli I think is strugling to score on loan at Genoa!!

But theres nothing better than young South Americans joining our club so if we can find and develop the next Sanchez for a few million quid then it cant get better than that. Hopefully plenty more South Americans will follow if this kid moves to Manchester.
Really?

How about young Mancunians joining our club;)

Name Changed

weso26
just what we need, another striker.
A 16 year old? He's hardly going to challenge for a first team spot, is he? How long do you think Berbatov and Owen are going to last??

Sign him up... I'd prefer spending 3m of a 16 year old South American prodigy that some of the recent ridiculous transfers we've forked out for unknown players, notably 7m for a Portuguese amateur and whatever we paid for our African superstars in Diouf and Manucho....

Sign the young South Americans up.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
In that age group, he pretty much is just what we need.

Longsden_7

We had best have an amazing squad in 4-5 years time or someone is going to look like an idiot.

forevrared

The one guy on Twitter I trust, Tor-Kristian Karlsen, says he's good. So sign him. Seriously though, he's scouting the tournament Henriquez is playing in now and is going to talk more about him today I think.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
The Copa America is played in the Summer unlike the idiots in Africa & recently Asia.
I take it that Geography was never your strongest subject, Southern hemispheres and seasons and all.

The AFCON takes place during what is generally agreed as the African summer or dry season to be more accurate. A calendar harmonization of international football needs to be done.

forevrared

Previously mentioned Tor-Kristian Karlsen on Henriquez:

one of the most impressive cfwds of the tournament (u17 south american championship). plays in the middle up front in a 4-3-3 system

possesses great variety of skills, physically/technically. extremely hard working (!), outstanding runner (bursts/20-30 meters), fine touch

right footed but uses left to fine level (shots, passes), smart movement, ok body strength, brain/skill to play effective combinations

maybe lacks a few cms (hard to tell his exact size, i'd guess 178-180 cm), and would probably eventually be used as a second striker

the talk here in ecuador is that manchester united signed an option to buy henriquez already a year ago

don't know regarding eu passport, but unlikely to make much difference. as a top chilean talent, he'll get a work permit (at 18) anyhow

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
one of the most impressive cfwds of the tournament (u17 south american championship). plays in the middle up front in a 4-3-3 system

possesses great variety of skills, physically/technically. extremely hard working (!), outstanding runner (bursts/20-30 meters), fine touch

right footed but uses left to fine level (shots, passes), smart movement, ok body strength, brain/skill to play effective combinations

maybe lacks a few cms (hard to tell his exact size, i'd guess 178-180 cm), and would probably eventually be used as a second striker

the talk here in ecuador is that manchester united signed an option to buy henriquez already a year ago

Despite the talk...I'll believe any of this when I see it announced on the official site

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Cheers for that, seems really promising according to this.

Also looks we used to have an option on him but now we're planning to buy him for that amount.

Ferguson

Remember when we couldn't get the Latin players to come to United? All the Brazilians and Chileans would end up in Italy or Spain.

Now United is a place where these players know they will find a friendly home with senior players who speak their language.

I think we have one player to thank and that is Cristiano Ronaldo. When Cristiano came there were no other players with whom he could speak Portuguese, and he helped welcome and show the ropes to the likes of Nani and Anderson, not to mention other youth team talents. Ronaldo's legacy at United is still paying dividends.

forevrared

It's probably the same deal we had with Dodo. It'd make sense as we're using whatever 'agency' it is that bought the twins also - based in South America. Much like the 'first option' deals that used to be in Football Manager. Put down a down payment that gives you alone the option of purchasing for 'X' amount before 'X' date.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I take it that Geography was never your strongest subject, Southern hemispheres and seasons and all.

The AFCON takes place during what is generally agreed as the African summer or dry season to be more accurate. A calendar harmonization of international football needs to be done.
I think it was more a reference to our summer and it being off season...rather than in the middle of our domestic campaign.

Just a guess mind.

Epic

Aren't there any talented, young European players around anymore?