1999 Champions League Final Streaming Live on the United Website Right Now.

Charlie Foley

Currently about 10 minutes in. That Basler goal was so soft.

I haven't watched the full game in a while. We are much livelier than I remember, surprised how much Blomqvist was on the ball vs my memory of the game.

T_Model101

The pitch looks absolutely massive, or maybe I've just forgotten what a football pitch looks like :lol:

Charlie Foley

Nicky Butt was underrated. Though United would have won this game much earlier with Roy Keane in midfield. Giggs on the right was not as good, and Blomqvist played much better in that half than I remembered, but Giggs on the left would have had much more of an impact. And Beckham could have gone right mid then.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Nicky Butt was underrated. Though United would have won this game much earlier with Roy Keane in midfield. Giggs on the right was not as good, and Blomqvist played much better in that half than I remembered, but Giggs on the left would have had much more of an impact. And Beckham could have gone right mid then.
I personally think SAF made abit of a mess with his midfield choices that day with Beckham and Giggs both in unnatural positions. I’d have played Johnson and Butt central and kept Beck’s and Giggs on the right and left, and played someone else at CB.

Uniquim

Wow. I had forgotten how many times Bayern came sooo close to scoring a second! First the post, and then the crossbar.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Jancker off the bar with 6 mins left.
Unreal.
Watching this is taking me back to the night

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And Solskjaer has won it!

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Enjoyed that. What a roller coaster.
Still makes me emotional. Best night as a supporter for me.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Enjoyed that. What a roller coaster.
Still makes me emotional. Best night as a supporter for me.
It's close for me between the first PL and that. I'd gone through the 26 years of waiting, been close a couple of times and had so many people take the piss out of me so that first PL was special as it'd been a long time coming.

Clive Tyldsley should be knighted for that commentary. I could listen to/watch the last 10 minutes on a loop (even with his senile co commentator, God bless him). Soooo many phrases that stick in the memory.

And finally, the Bayern fans. Feck me, that must have hurt?!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Stam and Jonsen
He was asking who would you play at centre back instead of Johnsen (who he said he'd play in midfield), with Berg out.

It would have been a brave call to go with Brown at that time. Maybe G Nev, but then you're disrupting a great centre back combo

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Incredible to watch back.
Stand out points that I hadn't really remembered
  • 78mins Scholl (?) hitting the post
  • 84mins Jancker off the bar, and then it whizzing past him on the way back
  • Yorke totally miscuing from a great position around 88
  • Babbel playing a dreadful pass that led to us getting the corner for the first goal.
  • A really poor slice clearance from one of their defenders, whereby any sort of hoof down field would have probably won them the game
  • When Sheringham smacks Giggs' miscue in, there's a defender next to him who seems keener on running out, rather than trying to make an attempt to tackle him when he looks quite close!
  • Butty getting after some bloke in a suit who has wandered into the celebrations from the crowd

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He was asking who would you play at centre back instead of Johnsen (who he said he'd play in midfield), with Berg out.

It would have been a brave call to go with Brown at that time. Maybe G Nev, but then you're disrupting a great centre back combo
Yeah, there were no perfect choices given injuries and suspensions but I thought our key strength at the time was our wing play, especially the Beckham- Yorke axis.

Blomquist and Giggs has very little impact in final and Beckham wasn’t wise enough as a quarterback in those days.

Still, winners write history so SAF is a football genius beyond compare and I’m obviously not!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah, there were no perfect choices given injuries and suspensions but I thought our key strength at the time was our wing play, especially the Beckham- Yorke axis.

Blomquist and Giggs has very little impact in final and Beckham wasn’t wise enough as a quarterback in those days.

Still, winners write history so SAF is a football genius beyond compare and I’m obviously not!
You wouldn't change a thing now, but yes you're right, wing play was critical to our approach, and to play both Giggs and Beckham out of position was a real blow to that.
We could have at least played Giggs on the left, and Blomqvist right, and that may have got a higher performance combined than the other way round.

But you don't usually have 2 critical players out, and from the same area of the pitch. That was appalling luck, but I suppose we can't moan about overall luck with the way the game played out, and the years of terrible luck after!