(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Physiocrat:

Gio:

Physiocrat Tactics:

Tactics – Direct/ Mixed
Formation – 4213
Defensive Line – Balanced
Marking – Zonal

Veron has complete freedom to run the midfield and Zagallo is doing an Antonio Valencia and turning into a modern attacking full-back. With Zagallo’s tactical versatility, intelligence and work rate he could make this transition with aplomb. Also with a reserved RB and cover from Mauro Silva he has full freedom to overlap Del Piero.

Durkovic was capped 50 times by Yugoslavia between 1959 and 1966, Durković excelled as a 22-year-old at the first Euros, offering defensive solidity and attacking penetration at right-back. He died when shot by a drunken policeman in Sion, Switzerland in June 1972 at the age of 34. The police officer was later sentenced to 9 years prison of which he served 7 years (Source, his Wikipedia entry).

Gio Tactics:

As much of a theme as you can ever hope for in a Sheep Draft, there is a South American vibe in play here, with each of the central partnerships evoking the best of the continent.

The defence is backed up by GOAT goalkeeper Lev Yashin behind the complementary partnership of the pacey Hector Chumpitaz alongside the more physical stopper Walter Samuel. Chosen for tactical and thematic reasons, Samuel's dynamism, aggression and left-sidedness makes him fit perfectly between Chumpitaz and Carlos. Introduced on the left flank is Roberto Carlos who should be at home with the theme and in particular with the left-side tandems he enjoyed for Real with Redondo and for Brazil with Rivaldo. Elsewhere Eric Gerets is the all-round right-back offering defensive solidity (can tuck in to form a 3), plus a box-to-box game to overlap Robben ahead.

Linking defence and attack is Fernando Redondo and Obdulia Varela. Arguably that is as strong and complementary a partnership as could be sourced from South America, where Varela provides grit and leadership, while Redondo takes responsibility for transitioning the ball into attacking zones. An outlet on their left is Dragan Dzajic who will start wide and use his mesmerising dribbiling to service Pele in the box. Dzajic's nimble style of attacking should complement the more straightforward 100mph approach of Carlos. On the right is Arjen Robben, a clear goal threat in his own right, particularly bouncing off Pele, but also a creative presence who, like Dzajic, can stretch the play. Rivaldo is back from injury and takes up his customary no10 role. He can work, he can create and he can win matches on his own. Ideally replicating the devastating Rivaldo/Ronaldo dynamic, Pele is the centrepoint of the attack with the freedom to roam across the line and drop into the 10 space. Collectively a lot of pace and trickery in the attack which should present a range of routes to goal.

prolifik

Think Physio would have been much better off taking a LB instead of Mauro here and going 4-2-3-1. Veron and Senna is fine as a double pivot - in fact I prefer Veron in the deeper role.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Think Physio would have been much better off taking a LB instead of Mauro here and going 4-2-3-1. Veron and Senna is fine as a double pivot - in fact I prefer Veron in the deeper role.
I needed a decent CB as Thiago Silva is injured and this was the best pair I could find alongside the CB. I agree it isn't 100% ideal but my sheep LB wasn't great and I thought why not try Zagallo at LB given the ways modern wingers have been used in the recent past. But yes, Veron would be better a bit deeper although with three genuine forwards ahead of him I don't see it as a huge problem.

prolifik

I needed a decent CB as Thiago Silva is injured and this was the best pair I could find alongside the CB. I agree it isn't 100% ideal but my sheep LB wasn't great and I thought why not try Zagallo at LB given the ways modern wingers have been used in the recent past. But yes, Veron would be better a bit deeper although with three genuine forwards ahead of him I don't see it as a huge problem.
The Veron point is just my personal preference, it's more the fact that he and Senna would have been fine as a pairing.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I'm not a fan of Pele as a lone CF and I think the midfield two could do with a bit more mobility but other than that, Gio has assembled an excellent side here.

Himannv

I dislike both teams but just about giving it to Gio due to player quality. However, that attack doesn't feel like it would be synergic and I think a no 9, CM, and CB are still required.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
However, that attack doesn't feel like it would be synergic and I think a no 9, CM, and CB are still required.
Can't disagree more. It's true in spirits with the OG Brazilian attacks. Might leaks a few goals here and there but will bamboozle when on the ball. Redondo and Varela is as good as a base as it gets and makes up for the lack of a Zagallo-esque figure. Can see most games ending like the Sweden 5-2.

Can and will improve the CBs I guess but it's not half bad a pairing already.

Should end the draft here and start a new one. Or have a contest for 2nd place I guess.

NM

Once Gio upgrades the CBs, it's GG everybody..

Himannv

Can't disagree more. It's true in spirits with the OG Brazilian attacks. Might leaks a few goals here and there but will bamboozle when on the ball. Redondo and Varela is as good as a base as it gets and makes up for the lack of a Zagallo-esque figure. Can see most games ending like the Sweden 5-2.

Can and will improve the CBs I guess but it's not half bad a pairing already.

Should end the draft here and start a new one. Or have a contest for 2nd place I guess.
The reasoning behind my comments is that I believe a player like Robben would benefit from having a number 9 who can occupy the CBs so that he can cut in. He's one of the best at cutting in and it's his bread and butter, but to properly isolate the winger, he needs someone up top like a Gomez or Lewa to be most effective in my view.

Pele, whenever I've seen him, seems to prefer dropping deeper and getting on the ball to make things happen and work his way into the box. I think that's different from R9, who I feel was a better focal point. I'm not saying it will not work with Rivaldo and Robben, but I'm not completely convinced. Perhaps there is a version of Pele that does this better, I don't know.

Regarding the midfield, I can't help but have a question mark over Varela. I'm sure he was a good player, but with no proper footage, it's hard to judge him. Grit and leadership is how he's described in the OP and it just doesn't say enough about what he's like as a player at all (which is understandable but also why I think he could do with an upgrade).

Anyway, that's my view and I'm happy to be educated if there is more information available.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
The reasoning behind my comments is that I believe a player like Robben would benefit from having a number 9 who can occupy the CBs so that he can cut in. He's one of the best at cutting in and it's his bread and butter, but to properly isolate the winger, he needs someone up top like a Gomez or Lewa to be most effective in my view.
I think a free-floating offense like this works just as well for Robben. It's true he usually played off a #9, but the cutting in part is kind of overstated imo. It was his signature move, but he was also much more versatile and well-rounded than his general image has it. He was comfortable all over the final third, including central areas (he even played false 9 himself a few times). So I'd say this magnificent combo with Pele and Rivaldo should be very much to his liking.
Zagallo is doing an Antonio Valencia and turning into a modern attacking full-back. With Zagallo’s tactical versatility, intelligence and work rate he could make this transition with aplomb. Also with a reserved RB and cover from Mauro Silva he has full freedom to overlap Del Piero.
I think this is a great tactical move. Some hardworking, smart, technical wingers should be excellent modern wingbacks, like Zagallo and Zé Roberto. (The latter actually played there quite a bit during his career.)

On this occasion, RIP Zagallo.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think this is a great tactical move. Some hardworking, smart, technical wingers should be excellent modern wingbacks, like Zagallo and Zé Roberto. (The latter actually played there quite a bit during his career.)
I'm glad someone appreciated it.