4 Way Draft - R1: Gio vs Eddy_JukeZ

With players at their level during their designated ages, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Gio

Eddy

Gio Tactics - age 30+

The 4-3-3 merges a high-calibre possession game with the ability to counter attack at pace.

Xavi and Modric join forces as arguably the two greatest central midfielders of all time for a ball-dominant game. Ahead, Totti offers neat on-the-ground interplay and overloads in central areas. Behind them, the defence oozes quality on the ball. Passarella's credentials in that respect are crystal clear. His partner Thiago Silva would have turbocharged Barcelona over the last 15 years and his passing range and pace make him a natural fit. The resemblance to Barcelona is also evident on both sides with the Xavi/Alves axis back in action, with Nilton offering the Abidal-esque tuck-in-to-make-a-three option as well.

The attack drips with counter-attacking threat with Cristiano and Robben two of the greatest inverted wide forwards. Both are equally dangerous breaking down defences with their finishing ability when cutting onto their stronger feet. As the gel inside, Totti's technique and selfless creativity should get the best out of them whilst joining up the midfield with the attack.

Eddy Tactics - age 26-30

Building out from the back:

I think I’ve got a very technically proficient team, so we’ll seek to build out from the back in a 3-2 shape. Marcelo inverts into midfield with Charlton which allows Platini to push a bit further up next to Van Basten. Busquets slots between the center backs and forms a back 3 that contains Sammer who’s excellent on the ball. He can drive forward with the ball at times to ease pressure as well. Lucio isn’t dynamite on the ball, but he’s capable enough. Ter Stegen is a great keeper at distribution, so he should be fine in this role.

There might be a question mark of Marcelo inverting, but he’s arguably the most gifted full-back of all time in terms of technical ability, so I think he should be fine in that role. I also think it’ll pull a player away from Ribery whose job is to maintain width giving him isolation situations potentially and he's an excellent ball carrier. On the other side, Maicon keeps the width as a marauding full-back covering a full flank, while Salah occupies the half-spaces a bit more playing off of Van Basten and potentially making runs into the channels to create space for others or even to get through on goal. And we can’t forget about Van Basten. Arguably the best striker of all-time and only perhaps bested by Ronaldo Nazario otherwise, he is the key man in this team. His all-around ability should get the best out of both wingers who can link up with him and he’ll be an option if we need to go long or even potentially dropping a bit deeper to gain a numerical superiority in midfield at times if necessary. And I think he and Platini should be excellent at linking-up.

In the final 3rd: The shape mostly stays the same, but Charlton and Platini play as more roaming 8s, while Marcelo occupies the half-spaces(slightly) a bit more often than Maicon to again free up space for Ribery out wide, but he can occupy a wider area as well if the midfield is clogged up. And he’s got a great cross in him(as well as Ribery) if Van Basten has space to attack in the box. Maicon overlaps more frequently, to give Salah more space in the right half-spaces where he’s most devastating. And I do think Salah’s crossing is underrated, so he could also pick out Van Basten. And if we carve out situations towards the byline where a cutback is on, Platini or Charlton are both excellent strikers of the ball, so they’ll be wary of that. Van Basten’s all around ability should prove key in the final 3rd as well. His incredible acrobatic ability makes him a great target in the box and I think we’ve got wide players to maximize that potentially. And his superb link-up play should again help with Charlton and Platini roaming behind him. And Salah could potentially again make darting runs from the half-spaces to be an option for Van Basten or even as a decoy.

Defensively: I think I’ve got a team that could press high up the field, but the athleticism of the midfield slightly worries me compared to other midfield units, so I think we’d keep a relatively moderate line(not a low block nor high) and press only on occasions(with Salah/Ribery usually leading the triggers). We'll defend in a normal 433 shape keeping the midfield compact. I’d like to be as compact as possible to make use of Busquet’s great reading of the game and not rely on him defending in space. There might be question marks of Marcelo’s defending, but I do think during these years, he was a capable full-back defensively and I don’t recall many defensive mishaps from him during the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 season for Real specifically. With him arguably peaking defensively in the 2015-2016 season IMO. Sammer’s positional sense along with Lucio’s aggression should be a good pairing at the back. Lucio is more gifted athletically, but Sammer’s ability to read the game and avoid getting caught out should make for an optimal pairing. Gio does have Ronaldo on Maicon’s side, and I suspect people might remember how Bale tortured him. I do think Maicon is facing a different prospect than Bale however. Ronaldo post 30s is no longer in his physical prime and isn’t as explosive as he used to be(nor as Bale himself then), so Maicon should have an easier time defending him if Ronaldo wants to attack him head-on. And I saw Maicon excel defensively during Inter’s treble, so I do have confidence in his ability to be a stout defender for the team. Ter Stegen in goal during the 2018-2019 season was arguably the best keeper in the world, so he’s capable of making worldie saves, and I like his overall ability as a keeper in terms of sweeping, making saves, dealing with crosses(maybe his biggest weakness besides a lapse of concentration which I think he corrected this specific season). He’s pretty much a lesser Neuer, but that’s no indictment since Neuer is arguably the best keeper ever. Marcelo/Maicon in the back for our ‘rest defense’ on corners.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
30+ PLAYER PROFILES
Oliver KahnWon the vast majority of his personal and team accolades at the age of 30-34, with a clean sweep of UEFA's best keeper from 1999 to 2003, and talismanic Champions League and World Cup campaigns.
Nilton SantosWon 2 World Cups in his 30s at the age of 33 and 37. In the World Cup Team of the Tournament in Sweden and in the World Soccer World XI at 35 and 36.
Daniel PassarellaMoved to Fiorentina at the age of 29-33 where his performances were such to recognise him in la Viola's greatest ever XI. Ranked the highest rated central defender in Serie A at the age of 30/31, the second highest at the age of 32/33, and the third highest at the age of 33/34. Worth a nod to his 85/86 season where he scored 15 goals, twice as many as any other Fiorentina player, and 4th in the Serie A top scorers list alongside Maradona.
Thiago SilvaHas aged well as his Chelsea Player of the Year at 38 demonstrates. His peak starting at Milan in his 20s stretched intos his early 30s at PSG.
Mauro SilvaThe anchor of the Super Depor team of the late 90s and early 00s, winning La Liga at 32, and a famous Copa Del Rey win at 34.
XaviHit his peak from the age of 28 to 32. In his 30s he won both the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012 and was the architect of perhaps the greatest club side of all in 2011.
Luka ModricA poster boy for the post-30s category where 4 of his 5 Champions Leagues came in his 30s, as did his Ballon DÓr and World Cup finalist at 33.
Cristiano Ronaldo2 Ballon DOrs, 3 Champions Leagues and a Euros in his 30s. 198 goals in 192 games in his 4 post-30 seasons at Real.
Arjen RobbenKicked off his 30s with a tremendous World Cup in 2014. The two most productive seasons of his career came at the age of 31 (24 BL goals and assists) and 33 (22 BL goals and assists).
Francesco TottiReprises the same role he had at 30 for Spaletti's Roma during 2006/07 where he operated as a high-scoring false 9. That year he won the European Golden Shoe and was the hipster's choice for the Ballon D'Or

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Fantastic write ups, really enjoyed that.

Think Gio edges it over Eddy, thoughts Platini seems slightly deeper than ideal and the defense is slightly weaker. Would be very close.

BIG DUNK

Tank
I'm leaning Gio here:
- the Xavi and Modric central midfield partnership is scary: the two best central midfielders of our generation. Dani Alves-Xavi-Robben equally as formidable.
- post-30s Ronaldo and Totti still potent and influential. A self-sacrificing support forward alongside Cristiano is important. Robben is one of the all-time best inverted wingers for that age group. I favour both Ronaldo versus Maicon and Robben versus Marcelo.
- back four including Kahn and Mauro Silva is expertly solid and organised.

Eddy_JukeZ
- unsure that is optimal use of peak-Sammer. Especially alongside Lucio, who is perhaps not the best centreback partner for him.
- a dream midfield. Will be an epic midfield battle versus Gio's trio.
- the front three will work wonderfully.

2-1 to Gio/the golden oldies.

prolifik

Eddy's defence just seems way too adventurous. Sammer in a back four, Maicon and Marcelo both love to bomb forward, and even Lucio will charge out of the back from time to time. Platini and Charlton are pretty hard-working as AMs go (especially Charlton), but I'd prefer either as the clear #10, or at least with another more defensive-minded midfielder alongside Biscuits.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Busquets will get eaten up by that Gio midfield

Himannv

Really good teams on display here. I'm not sure about Sammer and Lucio as a pairing, but I love the rest of it.

I think Gio could do with a more attacking RB behind Cristiano but Nilton is ok at getting forward I guess.