4 Way Draft - R1: Iso vs Sjor

With players at their level during their designated ages, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Iso

Sjor

Iso Tactics

Age 30 - Retirement

A well-balanced 3-4-1-2 formation with incredible quality in team's build-up play. This modern system ensures the team has passing options going forward and backward. One of (if not) the greatest defender and passer in Beckenbauer in his element to stop any attacker, bulwarked by two excellent side stoppers, and two WBs who are exceptional in possession and energy. Midfield consists of three elite captains: an elite ball carrier in Bryan Robson, incredibly driven Souness, and big game playmaker in Zidane.

Lead by Ferenc Puskas and Hidegkuti (who both are excellent finishers and creators), the attack has the technical quality and cutting edge to maximize the many opportunities that the team brilliant deeper build-up play will produce.

Sjor Tactics

Age debut to 22

• Quick defensive and offensive transitions
  • Don Elias with the freedom to bomb forward
  • Two light footed pacy forwards in Del Piero and Pele, would get shit load of service from Pedri, Cabrini, James and specially Cesc
  • Bergomi is a glorious bastard

BIG DUNK

Tank
Despite Sjor having one of the most exciting debut-to-22 XI's, Isotope simply has too many technical heavyweights, experienced heads and refined players. This would translate to superior game management and winning more individual battles. Isotope performs a comeback to win 3-2 (Sjor has drafted a better XI, but Isotope has the better team if that makes sense).

Isotope:
- Souness and Robson is the best of Britain. Strong defensively and going forward. Their balance would encourage Beckenbauer forward, allowing full influence. Zidane-Hidegkuti-Puskas all fabulous footballers in their 30s, still able to win the biggest games. Alot of creativity and goal potential here.
- Burgnich is a great choice for the right centreback position alongside Beckenbauer. Zanetti is the dream wingback in an over-30s XI.

Sjor:
- Pedri-Cesc is an exciting double eight partnership.
- Amazing drafting with that back five, including goalkeeper.
- The original phenomenon (Del Piero) partnered with freak of nature Pele is also an inspired strike partnership.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Wouldn't Iso be better off with a proper striker rather than a false 9 to work with a classic type of 10 in Zidane?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Thanks for complimentary comments @BIG DUNK .

@Physiocrat Puskas was the main striker at Madrid, and worked well with a false 9 like Di Stefano. Only with Hungary he played deeper than Kocsis. Hidegkuti was one of the best false 9 in the past also (known as "deep-lying forward", with goalrecord of 253 goals in 367 games). Both have incredible G + A.

And Zidane was mostly operate on deeper area, focused more on playmaking. He never scored more than 12 goals per season.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Despite Sjor having one of the most exciting debut-to-22 XI's, Isotope simply has too many technical heavyweights, experienced heads and refined players. This would translate to superior game management and winning more individual battles. Isotope performs a comeback to win 3-2 (Sjor has drafted a better XI, but Isotope has the better team if that makes sense).

Isotope:
- Souness and Robson is the best of Britain. Strong defensively and going forward. Their balance would encourage Beckenbauer forward, allowing full influence. Zidane-Hidegkuti-Puskas all fabulous footballers in their 30s, still able to win the biggest games. Alot of creativity and goal potential here.
- Burgnich is a great choice for the right centreback position alongside Beckenbauer. Zanetti is the dream wingback in an over-30s XI.

Sjor:
- Pedri-Cesc is an exciting double eight partnership.
- Amazing drafting with that back five, including goalkeeper.
- The original phenomenon (Del Piero) partnered with freak of nature Pele is also an inspired strike partnership.
souness and robson at 30+ isnt the best of britain and iso's team is generally very slow, specially in the defensive transition and they are against electric and light footed players in del piero, pele, pedri, james etc.

Šjor Bepo

Just a cheap shot at Sjor's. Ferrara was mainly a right back at Napoli. A these games when he's as 22 y.o.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_UEFA_Cup_final

and in 1990 Supercoppa:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Supercoppa_Italiana
(similar defenders, except Baroni for Renica as CB).
on mini holiday so cant be bothered to go again on formation hunt but part of the reason why i went back 5 is the fact all(apart from maybe Figueroa) played a lot in that system and Ferrara specifically played as a left centerback a lot or specifically whenever Napoli went to a back 5 formation.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Thanks for complimentary comments @BIG DUNK .

@Physiocrat Puskas was the main striker at Madrid, and worked well with a false 9 like Di Stefano. Only with Hungary he played deeper than Kocsis. Hidegkuti was one of the best false 9 in the past also (known as "deep-lying forward", with goalrecord of 253 goals in 367 games). Both have incredible G + A.

And Zidane was mostly operate on deeper area, focused more on playmaking. He never scored more than 12 goals per season.
Puskas with Hideguti at this age is fine it is just Zidane which feels off. Zidane is a very different player to Del Sol IIRC who played inside right for Madrid in the 1960 European Cup final. If it was a less dominant playmaker than Zidane I wouldn't be as unsure. I think to myself would false 9 Totti with Puskas with Zidane at 10 work and it still feels off.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It comes to balance. Both Kocsis and Di Stefano were good at headers completing Puskas ability with ball at his feet. I'm not fully familiar on how good Hidegkuti's heading ability was. Else this attack would be missing a key component.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Puskas with Hideguti at this age is fine it is just Zidane which feels off. Zidane is a very different player to Del Sol IIRC who played inside right for Madrid in the 1960 European Cup final. If it was a less dominant playmaker than Zidane I wouldn't be as unsure. I think to myself would false 9 Totti with Puskas with Zidane at 10 work and it still feels off.
This team is not mimicking Madrid's formation that goes with 3-2-5. And I don't have Di Stefano who such a dominating entity that it may clash with Zidane.

I don't see any clash between attacking players as they have their unique attributes to their respective roles.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
This team is not mimicking Madrid's formation that goes with 3-2-5. And I don't have Di Stefano who such a dominating entity that it may clash with Zidane.

I don't see any clash between attacking players as they have their unique attributes to their respective roles.
I wasn't meaning you were mimicking Madrid's style, just drawing attention to the types of player around. You are right about Hideguti not being a dominant figure. It makes better sense to me now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I wasn't meaning you were mimicking Madrid's style, just drawing attention to the types of player around. You are right about Hideguti not being a dominant figure. It makes better sense to me now.
Yeah. Hidegkuti has attributes overlapped with Zidane. The more app comparison I could think of is the trio Brazilians of Ronaldo - Rivaldo - Ronaldinho. Rivaldo can also be good playmaker, but with Brazil, he concentrate more as SS (emphasized more as goalscorer) and leaves the playmaking to Ronaldinho.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It comes to balance. Both Kocsis and Di Stefano were good at headers completing Puskas ability with ball at his feet. I'm not fully familiar on how good Hidegkuti's heading ability was. Else this attack would be missing a key component.
That's a fair concern.

BIG DUNK

Tank
souness and robson at 30+ isnt the best of britain and iso's team is generally very slow, specially in the defensive transition and they are against electric and light footed players in del piero, pele, pedri, james etc.
Both Souness and Robson were still world beaters after their 20s… European Cup winner.. team of the years… both could still give you double figures in goals and assists for club and country (late 30s after serious injuries you could have an argument).

I see Souness (Scotland) and Robson (England) as the best for their combined defensive, passing and attacking influence (plus add their leadership). If you include Ireland, Roy Keane also scores high in this regard after his 20s.

Souness, Robson and Beckenbauer won’t be immobile (and Pedri, Fabregas and Rice aren’t exactly pace merchants, their speed of thought, positioning, turns and use of the ball are their strengths). I don’t think there is any Ronaldo or Mbappe pace on the pitch anyway. In wide areas Zanetti and Van Bronkhorst were evergreen in their 30s (both winning Champions League and domestic honours).

Šjor Bepo

Both Souness and Robson were still world beaters after their 20s… European Cup winner.. team of the years… both could still give you double figures in goals and assists for club and country (late 30s after serious injuries you could have an argument).

I see Souness (Scotland) and Robson (England) as the best for their combined defensive, passing and attacking influence (plus add their leadership). If you include Ireland, Roy Keane also scores high in this regard after his 20s.

Souness, Robson and Beckenbauer won’t be immobile (and Pedri, Fabregas and Rice aren’t exactly pace merchants, their speed of thought, positioning, turns and use of the ball are their strengths). I don’t think there is any Ronaldo or Mbappe pace on the pitch anyway. In wide areas Zanetti and Van Bronkhorst were evergreen in their 30s (both winning Champions League and domestic honours).
never said souness and robbo were not good or even great but fact is both peaked before their 30s let alone best lf britain comment.

offensive players dont need to be speed merchants to ask questions for the defensive ones in terms of defensive transition. Cesc, Pedri, Elias can play through the pressure and move the ball quickly, James and co. are great ball carriers so on the counter and in general in game isos team would be questioned in transition and their players would need to showcase mobility, agility and pace and apart from Zanetti i can see that team struggle in that regard defensive wise.

its just natural, its like me arguing how my team would close the game as easily as his, they wont as they are all green.

BIG DUNK

Tank
never said souness and robbo were not good or even great but fact is both peaked before their 30s let alone best lf britain comment.
For that 3-4-1-2, which pair of British midfielders in their 30s would you take over Souness-Robson? IMO, that partnership covers many needed qualities.

Peaked before their 30s”- as with many of Isotopes players, but their 30s incarnations are still top players, and should fulfil their jobs.

offensive players dont need to be speed merchants to ask questions for the defensive ones in terms of defensive transition. Cesc, Pedri, Elias can play through the pressure and move the ball quickly
Agreed, in my prediction I could see your team scoring (neither team will be able to completely nullify eachother) both of you possess both strong defensive and playmaking quality, but I felt Isotope’s experienced XI would see them through.

Šjor Bepo

For that 3-4-1-2, which pair of British midfielders in their 30s would you take over Souness-Robson? IMO, that partnership covers many needed qualities.

Peaked before their 30s”- as with many of Isotopes players, but their 30s incarnations are still top players, and should fulfil their jobs.
The way original post was made i thought its best of britain in general not best of britain grandpa edition....though even there id take Scholes over both, maybe even Carrick but then again i rate Carrick insanely high.

Souness in 30+ is his last season at Lpool and then Rangers and Sampa i think of which both is a bit meh on the grand scheme of things.

Robbo 30+ is good but also much more similar to Sounness as his runs forward lessed down and he turned more into a defensive mid that tries to control the game.

Both absolutely fine here dont get me wrong, just give me Scholes over both as he actually peaked after 30.

BIG DUNK

Tank
The way original post was made i thought its best of britain in general not best of britain grandpa edition....though even there id take Scholes over both, maybe even Carrick but then again i rate Carrick insanely high.

Souness in 30+ is his last season at Lpool and then Rangers and Sampa i think of which both is a bit meh on the grand scheme of things.

Robbo 30+ is good but also much more similar to Sounness as his runs forward lessed down and he turned more into a defensive mid that tries to control the game.

Both absolutely fine here dont get me wrong, just give me Scholes over both as he actually peaked after 30.
Yes, Carrick and Scholes would be excellent picks for the 30+ category, but their creativity and control from deep is maybe not needed as much with Beckenbauer (libero) and Zidane (roaming number 10) already joining the midfield; even Nandor Hidegkuti thrived dropping deeper in '53 and '54 (a withdrawn centreforward who still got his fair share of goals and assists), the most underrated star of the Mighty Magyars. I think Souness and Robson's defensive ability, overall presence and direct link up play is required more, with so many moving parts around them.

Šjor Bepo

Yes, Carrick and Scholes would be excellent picks for the 30+ category, but their creativity and control from deep is maybe not needed as much with Beckenbauer (libero) and Zidane (roaming number 10) already joining the midfield; even Nandor Hidegkuti thrived dropping deeper in '53 and '54 (a withdrawn centreforward who still got his fair share of goals and assists), the most underrated star of the Mighty Magyars. I think Souness and Robson's defensive ability, overall presence and direct link up play is required more, with so many moving parts around them.
as i said, my comments are and were in general not in regards of this team :)

Šjor Bepo

also @BIG DUNK , considering the profile of the team and best player(on the pitch not just team) a more controlling midfield would be a much better option then going direct, fast football.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Sjor made a good point about pace. That's some scalp though, it's hard to look past Zidane here.