4 Way Draft - R1: Zlatan vs Himannv

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
ZLATAN: 26-30

HIMANNV: DEBUT-22

ZLATAN:

26-30

Shouldn’t have fecked this up as bad as I did, but no surprise there ey, I wanted to play a 442 but picked Desailly in a rush to use as a centre back then realised his best years at that age was after 30. So ended up with redondo and Desailly for a cdm.

I think redondo would do ok on the left of midfield and will certainly help nullify he-man’s attacking thread down that side as well as capable of driving forward with the ball. Same goes for the tenacious seedorf on the other side, regardless if he’d prefer the left the man could play anywhere.

It’s as solid as a back line as you’re likely to find and the attacking 2 are drool worthy with Kaka behind them.

HIMANNV:

On the ball

• Why Costa? Because he creates a different dynamic to this team. Even if the team is playing man-for-man, Costa has the ability to drill the ball 70 yards and get behind opposition defences with Mbappe on the end of it and pace to burn. His ball playing ensures we don't play too deep and can counter quickly and with more precise passing and quality.
  • Rijkaard is a key player in a sense that when we have the ball he will step up into midfield and run the game from there with support from Kimmich and Gazza.
  • On the left there is interchange of play as Gazza goes out wide if Ronaldinho cuts in centrally and the opposite is true when Ronaldinho stays on the byline with Gazza operating more centrally. Kimmich and Littbarski have a similar dynamic on the ball on the other flank.
  • Fullbacks get forward when needed, but they also help prop up the midfield if Gazza and Kimmich move forward. They operate like a modern tucked in fullback would in addition to getting forward when the situation calls for it.
  • Ronaldinho, Baggio, and Littbarski have the license to attack and probe when the counter is not on - they also have the option to dynamically switch positions. A feature of this team is flexibility in position of the players picked and their ability to play modern football and switch positions with each other in certain scenarios seamlessly.
  • At other times, the game play is to use Mbappe's speed and get the ball forward quickly and behind the lines.

Off the ball

• Rijkaard is again a key player, sweeping up as Vierchovod keeps attackers at bay with his pace and strong stopper skills.
  • Gazza and Kimmich are positioned to support their fullback, but also use their defensive industry to cover in midfield as well.
  • Lahm and Bossis keep it tight defensively.
  • Littbarski and Baggio help out off the ball. Dinho and Mbappe help out too but their primary role defensively is to help close off the spaces as opposed to implementing a high press.
  • Team generally operates in a middle press without the ball.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
My immediate thought is that Zlatan would better suit a magic square rather than a diamond.

Very inventive setup from Himan. Just not sure of young Vierchowod in that role

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
My immediate thought is that Zlatan would better suit a magic square rather than a diamond.

Wonder if that would work for Himamnv?
Mbappe - Baggio
Ronaldinho - Littbarski
Gascoigne - Kimmich
Bossis - Rijkaard - Vierchowod - Lahm

Or just a 4231 with Baggio pulled back.​
I know Zlatan has shat on his team somewhat, but the defence just looks almost impenetrable and the Raul - Romario partnership really gets the juices flowing.

Himannv

At this age Vierchowod was not particularly good on the ball but he was pretty much as good a stopper as he always was. With Bossis and Lahm alongside him and Rijkaard sweeping it’s a back 4 at times.

This is a somewhat different take on typical tactics with some modern elements and my own spin on what I think is a setup can be with the right personnel.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
At this age Vierchowod was not particularly good on the ball but he was pretty much as good a stopper as he always was. With Bossis and Lahm alongside him and Rijkaard sweeping it’s a back 4 at times.

This is a somewhat different take on typical tactics with some modern elements and my own spin on what I think is a setup can be with the right personnel.
How direct are you playing? The way the formation looks it makes me think Vierchowod is playing like Danny Blind for Ajax or a modern CB role, a bit like Ruben Dias.

Himannv

How direct are you playing? The way the formation looks it makes me think Vierchowod is playing like Danny Blind for Ajax or a modern CB role, a bit like Ruben Dias.
Much like modern football, there is no single way of playing. At times it will be quick counters to Mbappe to get in behind the defense, and at other times, we dribble and pass our way in with our front 4 and the rest of the team supporting I’ve alluded to it in the writeup somewhat but possibly haven’t presented it very well.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I know Zlatan has shat on his team somewhat, but the defence just looks almost impenetrable and the Raul - Romario partnership really gets the juices flowing.
Aye, he's being far too harsh on himself imo. Desailly is pretty much ideal at the base of midfield against all those fleet-footed dribblers, and won't impinge on Redondo as the go-to playmaker in midfield. I can see it panning out as a slightly asymmetric affair, with Redondo playing on average deeper and narrower alongside Desailly to build attacks, and Seedorf a bit more advanced and peeling to the right during their build up.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

I thought that about the square too and almost went with it

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Wonder if that would work for Himamnv?
Mbappe - Baggio
Ronaldinho - Littbarski
Gascoigne - Kimmich
Bossis - Rijkaard - Vierchowod - Lahm

Or just a 4231 with Baggio pulled back.​
thanks, I’m happy with the defence and forwards, I just thought the midfield may have been a bit out of shape, but as gio said, I think that’s exactly what would happen with redondo and seedorf, I just don’t think it’s their ideal positions

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Himanv, I liked your team, I did think vierchowod would need a lot of help from rijkaard to deal with both Raul and Romario which would create a nice little hole for Kaka to have.
also not sure how happy Gazza would be tracking seedorf deep through the game. I think I have a good formation to trouble your midfield and defence

BIG DUNK

Tank
I'm a fan of Zlatan's team, excellent drafting:
- I always felt Raul and Romario worked best in a strike partnership. Raul is happy to play supporting forward. Two elite finishers in the box. Rijjkaard will likely be playing as a centreback most of the game to support Vierchowod.
- Zlatan's midfield diamond/box/square is very skilled with the ball. Desailly was both one of the best centrebacks and defensive midfielders in the 90s. Redondo, Seedorf and Kaka all give you creativity and mobility, they weren't fixed midfielders, allowing the midfield space and flexibilty. Redondo and Seedorf offer you solid defensive workrate too. These four will be a greater controlling presence in the middle.
- Cole and Thuram are top defensive fullbacks, whom many consider the best of their respective eras. Both have experience playing as an overlapping fullback / in a wingless XIs. Vidic and Ferdinand are an all-time great centreback partnership. This defensive unit + Redondo-Desailly-Seedorf will be hard to break down and get behind. Himannv will be relying on the individual brilliance from the young Baggio or Ronaldinho, or the raw pace from Mbappe, but Zlatan should have the defensive pieces to stop them.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I'm a fan of Zlatan's team, excellent drafting:
- I always felt Raul and Romario worked best in a strike partnership. Raul is happy to play supporting forward. Two elite finishers in the box. Rijjkaard will likely be playing as a centreback most of the game to support Vierchowod.
- Zlatan's midfield diamond/box/square is very skilled with the ball. Desailly was both one of the best centrebacks and defensive midfielders in the 90s. Redondo, Seedorf and Kaka all give you creativity and mobility, they weren't fixed midfielders, allowing the midfield space and flexibilty. Redondo and Seedorf offer you solid defensive workrate too. These four will be a greater controlling presence in the middle.
- Cole and Thuram are top defensive fullbacks, whom many consider the best of their respective eras. Both have experience playing as an overlapping fullback / in a wingless XIs. Vidic and Ferdinand are an all-time great centreback partnership. This defensive unit + Redondo-Desailly-Seedorf will be hard to break down and get behind. Himannv will be relying on the individual brilliance from the young Baggio or Ronaldinho, or the raw pace from Mbappe, but Zlatan should have the defensive pieces to stop them.
Thanks mate, you make my team sound really good… and I agree with everything you’ve said :lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
Really creative effort from @Himannv I like the dynamics of his team and the overall feel of it.

@Zlatan 7 team is just too strong though. The only thing I hate was Kaka selection. Although given the midfield setup I really hike the peak version of him as he was not a dominant ball hungry #10, however this version of him would need replacing as it’s the injury plagued one when he barely reached his peak level.
Otherwise pretty strong team all round.

Himannv

Yeah. I found the Kaka pick a bit odd because I’m not sure it works with Romario there. Romario loves a bit of on the ball dribbling at times and I’d expect to see him occupying a similar space to Kaka if he drops deeper - at which point I’m not sure what Kaka really does. He was at his best with space to run into and strikers that constantly occupied the CBS off the ball. If he doesn’t get that space he’s an average player. No issues with Raul and Romario though - that’s a lovely pairing.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yeah. I found the Kaka pick a bit odd because I’m not sure it works with Romario there. Romario loves a bit of on the ball dribbling at times and I’d expect to see him occupying a similar space to Kaka if he drops deeper - at which point I’m not sure what Kaka really does. He was at his best with space to run into and strikers that constantly occupied the CBS off the ball. If he doesn’t get that space he’s an average player. No issues with Raul and Romario though - that’s a lovely pairing.
Fair point and I thought Romario would drop deep occasionally too and occupy same space as Kaka although Kaka could drift. Something to think of in the next round reinforcement but not sure how to get around it at the moment, I’ll talk to my kid about it :nervous:

Himannv

Fair point and I thought Romario would drop deep occasionally too and occupy same space as Kaka although Kaka could drift. Something to think of in the next round reinforcement but not sure how to get around it at the moment, I’ll talk to my kid about it :nervous:
I have a couple of players in my team who will more than fix your problem. :lol: