40s Draft QF4 : Aldo 10-5 NM/EAP

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Team Aldo

The team will be playing a 4-2-3-1 formation in this game, a change from the previous one and we will be now looking for gaining higher control of the game in midfield and using the creativity and class of the attacking midfield to carve up the opposition.

Starting with the keeper, no introduction needed for our European Cup winning keeper. No one can forget the heroic save he made against Eusebio in the final. I strong and reliable keeper, he will be forming a watertight unit with the two centerbacks ahead of him.

Firstly, there is Hector Chumpitaz, one of the greatest defenders of all time and a standout one in this draft, the complete defender, Chumpitaz would provide a strong physical presence here as well as the sort of drive and determination you need from your centre half in this sort of a match. Partnering him is the "Iron Rinus", Rinus Israel, who compliments Chumpitaz perfectly in bringing the calm and collected presence at the back. The two of them are one of the best CB pairs in the draft, and Chumpitaz would be a painful obstacle for Riva.

German legend, a contender for one of the greatest defensive fullbacks and man markers of all time, Berti Vogts joins the team and shores up right side of the defense. On the other side the Benfica legend Cruz would be asked to stay in shape with the rest of the backline. As usual, he will be covering for whenever one of the CBs want to drive up and initiate play.

Protecting the defence is the Italian workhorse Furino. Known as "Furia", Furino would provide endless reserves of tenacity and stamina and aggression, constantly winning the ball back and possessing good enough technical ability for a DM to turn defence into attack quickly.

Partnering him would be Madrid and Spanish legend and one of the best midfielders in the draft, Jose Pirri. An absolutely complete player, he has the tendency to be everywhere on the pitch and influence the game in both phases of the game. He will be sitting deeper in this game forming a double pivot with Furino, making a watertight shield for the back four as well as using his drive and energy to influence the proceedings and gain control of the game. Being as tactically aware and intelligent as he was, I expect him to make the crucial decisions in the middle of the park and dictate the game.

Starting the attack, sort of, the playmaker of the team is Ademir Da Guia, "The Divine One". An immense playmaker and dribbler, he brings exquisite passing and creative ability to the team that would unlock the tightest of defences. He will be playing a more advanced role in this game, in tandem with his Brazilian fella Rivelino conjuring some mouth watering phases of buildups and an array of passing not likely to be anticipated by the opposition. Lightning quick thinking and passing ability would be devastating with the front line ahead of him.

In comes the atomic kick, the magical left foot, the unrivalled tache, Roberto Rivelino. The Brazilian is often underrated when speaking of the all time great Brazilian legends, but he is right up there. A vital cog of the great 1970 Brazilian team, he will be playing the same role here, coming infield and dictating play. He will be compliment Best nicely on the other wing.

Lastly, the fifth Beatle, or whatever, George fkin Best. Best player on the pitch, easily, he is given a complete free role in the team to run absolutely anywhere across the frontline. He will be supplied the ball time and again by the rest of the team and run at players with pace and intent, leaving defenders for dead all over the place. He is against Facchetti, a fascinating battle indeed. However having a presence like George Best on his flank means the Italian would need to restrict his natural game. Having said that, Best will not stay isolated on the flank, and his incisive runs against the opposition CB pair could be decisive.

Boninsegna's power and physicality in occupying the CBs could be crucial as that allows the likes of Rivelino and Best to find the pocket of spaces between the lines and exploit them.

I believe the midfield battle to be close but with the class of Ademir, Pirri and Rivelino on the ball with all of them allowed the freedom to use the passing and creativity to the fullest means I would have an edge there on the ball. However what makes this midfield even better is the fact that Rivelino, Pirri and Furino combine a tremendous amount of energy, work rate, stamina and mental resilience. There's no shortage of steel and we can rough it up when we want to. There's very little weakness there and that should be a big factor in this game.

George Best made a career out of having defenders in threes and fours trying to stop him, great as the Italian counterpart is, Bestie will still draw defenders towards him and cause a fair bit of disarray in the opposition defense. With the likes of Ademir and Rivelino being allowed spaces due to the attention Best would draw, and Boninsegna being always waiting for a half chance, there's bound to be goals for my team. I don't know how many or whatever but they won't be keeping a clean sheet, not with that CB pair anyway.

On the other hand, in Israel, Chumpitaz and Vogts, we have a quality defensive core of names of excel in defensive masterclasses. Keizer, Jair and Riva is a tasty frontline but not one that I would be worried of hurting me to an extent that can cost me much here, especially since his midfield can't boast the same class of creativity and vision as mine. We will look to destroy the supply to the front three using that double pivot. Keizer's style of play suits Vogts to a T and he will be at home shutting down that channel.

Good luck, NM and EAP!

TEAM ALDO

TEAM NM/EAP

Team NM/EAP

WHY WE WILL WIN:

Our Flanks better:

There is no denying the quality of Aldo's winger, but dominating a flank is much more than just having good wingers.

Facchetti will be a better fullback for Keizer than Cruz can be for Rivellino. Rivellino is not a standard winger and for him to be effective he is better off partnered with a overlapping full back for width. Not underestimating Cruz, but then he's no Facchetti.

Jair will be a better partner for Carlos Alberto than Best will be for Vogts. Both fullbacks here have good wingers facing them and are excellent defensively. I'd rate Carlos Alberto as a better playmaker than Vogts. My advantage is that Jair operated as one-man flank in Grande Inter (one of best club teams of all time) and his classic technique of picking up balls deeper will link better with Carlos Alberto and will make this wing far more functional than Best who needs a bit more service from the fullback.

Add in that Jair is facing off against Cruz, the weakest fullback in this match.

Better striker:

Boninsegna has the reputation of being a finisher himself. Not saying he is a poacher only, but with the setup Aldo has he is better off with a more rounded CF who can bring others into play, someone like....

LUIGI RIVA - The "Rombo di Tuono" (Roar of Thunder) is the best Forward of his generation as well as a GOAT. Great finishing, able to drift and bring others into play, powerful physique, volleying ability, superb heading accuracy his technical skill and dribbling ability is the perfect fit for our team. Either being at the focal point of attack, or pulling defenders and bringing my fantastic wingers into play, he'll definitely be on the score sheet.

Flexibility of Yakimov:

Yakimov was one of the greatest Bulgarian footballers of all time. There are many who consider him better than Stoichkov. Capable of playing an advanced attacking role (which he did for country) or a deeper creative role (which he did for club), he will be very elusive to get a hold off. Furino will have quite a job here and I certainly do see Yakimov dragging him off to the flanks and coming out better. Despite his playing position, one thing is a dead certainty....Yakimov's ability to score. He was one of the top club scorer despite playing a deeper role!

Countering his strengths:

- Aldo's strengths are his wingers. Here they are countered by the best pair of fullbacks in this draft.

- Ademir is against Stiles. There are few I'd take above Stiles to stuff out the creativity of oppositions best play maker and here Stiles would do what he does best and limit Ademir's creative involvement to a minimum.

- The woodpecker De Sisti was a Roma Hall of Famer who was renowned for his workrate and tenacity. Perfect to face Pirri!

To summarize:

I consider our team to be the worst possible opponents for Aldo. GOAT fullbacks to counter wingers, best DM to counter his creative AM, we have the stops where it matter.

A GOAT striker, Yakimov's flexibility and Jair vs Cruz are the advantages that will tilt this match in our favour.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Good luck @Aldo

Firstly:
I disagree with your comments on Best having a great game here. Here he is in a flank with Vogts (and Furino) two players with predominantly defensive duties. With Stiles riding herd on Ademir, I think Best will be starved of service most of the match. Your team in essence is not built around your best player. In fact your best player is left all alone with no support. I would say this is a major tactical advantage for my team.

Secondly:
Cruz is the weakest fullback on the pitch and he has the most important role in your team. Here he has dual roles of holding in Jair (a match up which I already consider is in my favour) and to provide consistent width to Rivellino. Tbh, this is a bit of a stretch. Not underestimating him, but I think he'll be short of expectations in both counts. Jair will beat him time and again and from what I read, his attacking instincts aren't that great.

Moby

Dick
Your team in essence is not built around your best player. In fact your best player is left all alone with no support. I would say this is a major tactical advantage for my team.
  • He has been given a free role, not restricted to a flank as a traditional winger, but allowed to use his array of skills.
  • The other wide player compliments him perfectly.
  • In Ademir, Pirri and Rivelino, there would be constant supply to Best, not to forget Best himself is a part of the attacking midfield unit and not someone like Cristiano Ronaldo who relies on service. He will pick the ball up deep if needed and maraud forward or combine with others.
  • Similarly, Vogts behind him compliments him perfectly as Best can easily provide the width on that flank if needed.

"Right side of Best, Furino and Vogts", is true, but the pitch doesn't end there. What is stopping Rivelino, Ademir or Pirri, OR Israel or Chumpitaz, or Cruz who himself was one of the better players on the ball in that Benfica team to pick out Best?

Lastly, building a team around someone is an instruction, not an interpretation of the rival manager. Unless I am playing him completely out of position, it is me, who indeed decides whether or not I am building a team around someone. As per my instructions, the team is GOING to be to playing to Bestie's strengths, supplying him the ball whenever he is in space, making space for him and giving him the required platform. That much is indeed, my call and I have made it.

NM

He has a good team.. It should be closer than this though. I always back defense to win vs attack, but may be in the minority.

NM

Deader than a dodo.. Come on guys, Fachetti and Carlos Alberto are GOATS. They will handle anything at them. Nobby Stiles will take care of the midfield and Riva, Jair and Keizer will score for fun.

Note: This is to drive up votes. and interest

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I've been out of touch with the draft (and the Caf as a whole) recently, but I will take a look at both teams and pass my comments on when I get home.

From a quick glance, though, it looks tight, but I can see why Aldo has 3 votes in the first place: he has bigger names in the team than NM/EAP do.

Tuppet

From what I know about players from both team, I think Aldo clearly has the edge everywhere, except in striker. I don't think NM/EAP's defense is more solid, esp I rate Aldo's center back partnership much higher. There is nothing between Vogts and Carlos Alberto, only Facchetti is clearly superior defender in NM/EAP team. Coupled with the fact that they are facing much superior attackers, I dont see them holding out better than Aldo's defense.

In Mid I rate De guia and Pirri higher than De sisti and Yakimov (about whom I don't know much, may be some videos would help ?) while Nobby and Furino are about the same.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Only Riva and Facchetti would seriously improve Aldo's team here. I do think that he is a little light in attack though, Boninsegna is not good enough for this stage and Da Guia can be upgraded too, but he still edges it for me.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
There is nothing between Vogts and Carlos Alberto, only Facchetti is clearly superior defender in NM/EAP team. Coupled with the fact that they are facing much superior attackers, I don't see them holding out better than Aldo's defense.
It's not a one to one match up and I think it's not fair to compare his defenders to mine.

Rivellino is not a traditional winger and would need a fullback to provide consistent width throughout the match. From what I read, Cruz is not the type of attacking winger to fulfill that role. He's also the weakest fullback on the pitch and facing Jair, a speedy/tricky winger. I certainly do not think Cruz can keep Jair quiet full match and provide the necessary support to Rivellino. This is a flank where I have the advantage.

Vogts is a defensive fullback and he has Furino a DM in that flank. Best in his 'free role' can drop deeper, but if he's doing that all match, then I his his lethality is relatively diluted. Jair on the other hand, has operated in that precise role for Grande Inter successfully. He has better traits to link with Carlos Alberto than Vogts with Best.

Also Stiles is a superior DM. A world cup winner to boot and I'm forced to bring out the Eusebio marking out here again. He is held in high esteem both in Manchester United and England National teams. Furino has had a successful career with Juve, but never actually broke through their national team.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Only Riva and Facchetti would seriously improve Aldo's team here. I do think that he is a little light in attack though, Boninsegna is not good enough for this stage and Da Guia can be upgraded too, but he still edges it for me.
Cruz vs Jair is the biggest mismatch here. And note that without Cruz, Rivellino is not as effective as he can be.

Best against Facchetti, Rivellino against Carlos Alberto, Ademir against Stiles - I have perfect counters to all his best players.

Both his CB's and Furino will struggle against an ariel game. Riva will exploit this fully.

Edit: And Luis Pereira is being underrated here. He's at par with Chumpitaz and definitely better than Israel.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The scoreline is inevitably harsh as EAP/NM are well placed to mitigate Aldo's star players (Best v Facchetti, Rivelino likely to cut into a tough central midfield core). Looking at other areas though, the backline of Perreira/Bosquier looks a little soft for a QF, and Chumpitaz stands out as the best central defender on the park.

Moby

Dick
Cruz vs Jair is the biggest mismatch here. And note that without Cruz, Rivellino is not as effective as he can be.

Best against Facchetti, Rivellino against Carlos Alberto, Ademir against Stiles - I have perfect counters to all his best players.

Both his CB's and Furino will struggle against an ariel game. Riva will exploit this fully.

Edit: And Luis Pereira is being underrated here. He's at par with Chumpitaz and definitely better than Israel.
Sorry about not being on much yesterday. Anyway, got a bit of a lunch break so I'll reply a bit.

Looking at direct matchups is fine but you have completely ignored the midfield and the influence it will have.

Rivelino is a playmaker, a midfielder who will be a part of the midfield unit as much as anyone else. I don't rely on him to provide any width, I am not sure where did you get the impression that Cruz was not good going forward when that was actually what he was known for in that team, his ability on the ball and his delivery, he is surely good enough to provide the width there, as you can see from his positioning on the formation. Back to the Brazilian, he is one of the best players on the pitch and his job is to gain control of the midfield, combine with the likes of Pirri and Ademir and drive forward with the ball. You haven't really set C. Alberto on a man marking mission, or anything and it is fair to say that Rivelino will be contesting against your midfielders as much as he will be on the flank. Stiles seems to be concentrating mainly on Ademir and even with him there, you don't have anyone who can come close to Rivelino's class on the ball or creativity. He is the sort of creative influence you need to turn these sort of games into your favour and he can do it either by individual skill or bringing everyone around him into play and executing well crafted moves. You will find it hard to overcome the Rivelino-Pirri-Ademir axis, those are three wonderful players who can each deliver a masterclass on the ball your midfield cannot cope with, and together I can see the synergy and combination in their play being a huge advantage for me. And as I wrote, both Rivelino and Pirri worked tirelessly for the team, never gave away an inch or relied on others to get the ball for them. They'll be completely suffocating your midfield and not allowing any service to your attack.

Which is way more crucial than saying x is against y and how that battle will happen. Fair enough, an attack of Jair and Riva with a nice deputy in Keizer is not weak by any stretch, but my attacking players will see the ball a lot more than yours simply thanks to the quality and setup of my midfield which is well in place to take the upper hand in this game.

Things Rivelino can do to punish you.

Moby

Dick
Notice that he is attacking through the middle as much as he is out wide in a lot of those moves. As he is not a traditional wide player and would eventually influence things at the heart of the action. His movement will be well complemented by the other two players in the attacking midfield unit, though in different ways. Ademir, from whatever I have seen would end up dropping really deep and spraying the ball from deep. His passing range and vision was marvellous and he was very happy in dictating things from deep. This would create space for Rivelino to come inside and Pirri to marshall the left side of midfield in the meantime, while Cruz would be pushing forward in support.

Similarly, Best's free role also contributes to this tactic as he could shuffle across and him and Rivelino would be usually the ones driving the ball forward in tandem, while Ademir and Pirri provide support and Boninsegna waits in the box.

Luis Pereira was a celebrated defender of his time but I am sorry that you have misjudged him or Chumpitaz if you think they bring the same ability to the pitch. Chumpitaz is one of the greatest names to come out of South America. Using wiki, but this is a plain fact :

In 1973, All-Star teams from the American and European continents played against each other in Barcelona, Spain. Soccer greats such as Johan Cruyff, Franz Beckenbauer, Teófilo Cubillas participated in that game. Chumpitaz was selected captain of the American continent's team[3] thus earning the nickname America's Captain. The game finishes 4-4 and in Penalty kicks, America wins 7-6.
Hector Chumpitaz is one of Peru’s most recognized footballer player, was known for his great technique, his leadership, his organization ability on the field, A strong reader of the game with excellent ball skills and distribution. He marshaled a capable defense to support Peru’s attack led by Teofilo Cubillas. Chumpitaz was the selected captain of the American continent's team in 1973. He was an impressive defender-scoring with 74 goals in 530 career matches. Chumpitaz is considered one of the greatest south American defenders of all-time and was named to the list of best World Cup players of all time by Terra.com in 2006. He was elected the 35th best South american footballer of the 20th century in a poll by the IFFHS in 2000.
He was incredibly athletic, known for his great leap, he was quick, strong on the ground and in the air, and tough as nails mentally. And unlike a few of other great defenders who were silky smooth on the ball and known a lot for their technique, Chumpitaz was a great 'pure defender'. If I had to compare him to someone from modern times, it would be Alessandro Nesta. Both really complete defenders.

INFO:

Héctor Eduardo Chumpitaz González (born April 12, 1943 in Cañete) is a former footballer from Peru. He, with Teófilo Cubillas and Hugo Sotil, have been some of Peru's most recognized football players

He was the captain of the Peruvian national team that was victorious at Copa America 1975 and during the 1970 and 1978 World Cups, Nicknamed El Capitán de America (America's Captain) because of his great technique, his leadership, his organisation ability on the field and was selected captain of the American continent's team.

Chumpitaz is considered one of the greatest South American defenders of all-time and was named to the list of best World Cup players of all time by Terra.com in 2006. He was elected the 35th best South American footballer of the 20th century in a poll by the IFFHS in 2000.

Career

At the age of 19, Chumpitaz joined a second division team in Peru, the Unidad Vecinal. Chumpitaz became a first division player in 1964, when he was signed by Deportivo Municipal, a team where he stayed until 1965.

During 1966, Chumpitaz began playing for Universitario de Deportes, where he was part of the team that won 5 Peruvian league championships (1966, 1967, 1969, 1971 and 1974).

Chumpitaz captained the Universitario de Deportes side to a runner up in the Copa Libertadores 1972, losing 2-1 to Independiente of the Argentina in the final.

In 1973, All-Star teams from the American and European continents played against each other in Barcelona, Spain. Soccer greats such as Johan Cruyff, Franz Beckenbauer, Teofilo Cubillas participated in that game. Chumpitaz was selected captain of the American continent's team[2] thus earning the nickname America's Captain. The game finishes 4-4 and in Penalty kicks, America wins 7-6.

The following year, he was signed, for the first time, by an international club, when he played with the Club Atlas team in Mexico.

In 1977, he went on to play for Sporting Cristal, a team he would play with until 1984. He won 3 Peruvian league championships (1979, 1980 and 1983).

He became Peruvian history's top scoring defender of first division, with 65 goals in 456 matches.

International career

On April 3 of that year, Chumpitaz played his first game as a member of Peru's national soccer team, when the Peruvians lost to Paraguay, 1-0, in Lima. On May 16, 1965, Chumpitaz played his first World Cup qualifier game, as Peru beat Venezuela, 1-0, in Lima. His first game abroad came later that year, as Peru and Venezuela held a rematch in Caracas, with the Peruvians defeating the Venezuelans by a score of 6-3.

Chumpitaz secured his first World Cup action when Peru's national team, winning 1-0 in Lima, and soon tied with Argentina, 2-2, on August 31, 1969 in Buenos Aires. Chumpitaz played his first World Cup game on June 2, 1970, when the Peruvians defeated Bulgaria, 3-2, in León, Mexico. Although Peru advanced to the quarterfinals of that World Cup, they were eliminated by Brazil on June 14 in Guadalajara, by a score of 4-2.

Chumpitaz played for Peru's national team in the Independence Cup, held between June 18 and June 25, 1972, in Manaus, Brazil. He helped his team to the championship game with a 1-0 victory over Venezuela, but the Peruvian team lost in its group's final game to Yugoslavia, 2-1.

In 1975, Chumpitaz played for the national team that won the Copa America held in Colombia.

Chumpitaz returned to the World Cup in 1978,[5] when Peru played for the FIFA's most heralded championship in Argentina. Peru played six games in that World Cup, winning three of them. This would turn out to be Chumpitaz's lastWorld Cup participation; he retired from the Peruvian national team after the team qualified for the 1982 World Cup, held in Spain. Chumpitaz played a total of 105 games with the national team.

In February 2008, to celebrate of first World Cup win Brasilian, he was selected as the All-Star First Team of America of the past 50 years.

Honours

Universitario de Deportes

* Peruvian League
o Winner (5): 1966, 1967, 1969, 1971, 1974
o Runner Up (1): 1972

* Copa Libertadores
o Runner-Up (1): 1972

Sporting Cristal

* Peruvian League
o Winner (3): 1979, 1980, 1983
o Runner Up (1): 1977

National team

* Copa America
o Winner (1):1975

Individual awards

* 1969 Best Defender CONMEBOL
* 1971 Best Defender CONMEBOL
* 1973 All Stars CONMEBOL: Captain
* 2000 World Soccer's: The 100 Greatest Footballers of All Time
* 2004 South American - Player of the Century: Ranking Nº 35
* 2007 Midfield Dynamo's 10 Heroes of the Copa América
* 2007 Copa America All-Star team, all-time
* 2008 All Stars CONMEBOL in the last 50 years
* 2008 Defender all-time scoring: Ranking Nº 32

Last edited:

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Rivelino looks like he was one hell of a player. Thanks for the education.

Also, when was the last time a European All-Stars team played vs a American All-Stars? That would be an awesome match.

Just off the top of my mind:

Europe:

-------------------- Neuer
Lahm --- Boateng ------ Ramos ---- Alaba
------------------ Busquets
----------- Modric -------- Kroos
Robben ---------------------------- Ronaldo
-------------------- Zlatan

America:

---------------------- Navas
D. Alves - Thiago Silva - Godin ---- Marcelo
------------------- Mascherano