40s Draft R1 : Chesterlestreet 10-3 crappycraperson

Who will win based on all the players at their respective peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Team Chesterlestreet

PLAYER PROFILES:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/40s...raft-round-of-16.409846/page-47#post-18283380

TACTICS:

General approach: Aggressive but intelligent attacking. Risk factor fairly high in the sense that I'm willing to commit players (including my fullbacks) forward to a significant degree. I'm not afraid of conceding a goal here, confident as I am that I will outscore my opponent. That said, the overall picture should (I hope at least) be more balanced than gung-ho. The passing ability of the team as a whole – and the midfield four in particular – is excellent, as is the on-the-ball skills of the team's main playmakers, so even with a high degree of offensive commitment I'm confident that I won't lose the ball more frequently than I can handle.

Cooper, Hughes, Smith, Pivarnik.

Straight forward enough. In front of Ray Clemence we find his historical team mates, the highly accomplished and successful pairing of Emlyn Hughes and Tommy Smith, who form what I suppose you could call a classic duo in the middle, with Hughes as the more adventurous/ball playing one and Smith as his hard-arse stopper/sidekick. Slightly more complicated than that in reality, of course, not least because Smith, while being one of the great hard-men in English football history, was not a sheer brute and could actually play a bit (he operated both as a fullback and a midfielder at times and wasn't inept going forward, at least not for a defender of that era). But in terms of roles, a classic enough duo, as I field them in this match. Hughes is famous for his forays into enemy territory, and given my overall approach I won't mind him going on a run or two if and when the opportunity should arise, but said approach isn't quite so gung-ho that I want him to continuously push forward: His main function apart from actually defending will be to bring the ball out of defence (which he is excellently suited for). The fullbacks are instructed to go forward within reason. By this I mean, simply, that their default roles will be that of reasonably offensive fullbacks within the context of the general approach (which is to attack aggressively but intelligently, as stated above). More specifically they will, when they venture forward, seek to combine with the winger – or wide midfielder – on their flank. Both Cooper and Pivarnik are very well suited for this sort of game (one may reasonably claim that it is their natural game, the sort of game they engaged in historically more often than not), while at the same time being defensively robust enough to make a difference when the team is under siege.

Corso, Muntyan, Bremner, Lorimer.

The roles of both wingers are more aptly described as those of wide midfielders. Both Lorimer and Corso are more than capable of skinning their man if they get the chance, but this isn't their main function in this set-up. Their tasks are more subtle, if I may say so. Lorimer will be most effective, as I see it, in a purely offensive sense when Pivarnik pushes up and the pair of them can combine on the right flank. Corso's role, by contrast, will be more demanding in the sense that he will function as a playmaker to a greater degree: His main task will be to use his vision and his passing (God's left foot, as it were) both to create dangerous situations in the box directly, by hitting it long, and by making shorter plays, involving Muntyan, the overlapping Cooper and the free roaming Pelé). His pin-point passing may also come in handy in a more specialized (so to speak) way, when he drifts a bit inward and switches the play over to the right flank, finding Lorimer or Pivarnik with a long ranger. The roles of Bremner and Muntyan, respectively, might be described for convenience's sake as that of a holder (Bremner) and a box-to-boxer (Muntyan). The actual dynamic should be a bit less black n' white, however: Bremner can easily operate as a box-to-boxer in his own right, while Muntyan is at home both as an offensive midfielder and a defensive one. I won't pretend that he's a first rate defensive midfielder, however, and certainly not a sufficiently sound one to function as a permanent holder – but he is extremely industrious and more than capable of simply holding back a bit, covering, if and when Bremner should find it opportune to involve himself offensively. But their basic roles are fairly clear, as suggested: Bremner primarily holds, Muntyan is the more offensive of the pair.

Firstly – Greaves. His role is the most straight-forward of the pair, so I'll deal with him first. He operates in the box here, first and foremost, and his task is to score goals. He is somewhat proficient in that regard, I think I can allow myself to say as much. But Greaves is not – as someone slanderously claimed in one of the other matches – some sort of static goal muncher who sets up camp in front of the goal and waits for someone else to serve him. He is fast, he is mobile, and he is a very capable dribbler. This means that he is highly adept at dragging his marker around – which is important for me, as it leaves more room for others, especially Pelé of course, to exploit. Finally, Pelé. His role is, as suggested already, a free one. He will play as an attacking midfielder/second striker hybrid – and he will seek to get on the ball as much as he can. For convenience's sake you may imagine him playing his Brazil '70 role, or more precisely a variation on that theme. The key part of that particular game is that he frequently drops deep to involve himself, setting up his team mates both centrally and on the flanks, mainly through the combination of on-the-ball skills and athleticism no player in this draft can match, natural playmaking ability – and simple, crisp passing, the effectiveness of the latter naturally depending on good movement from his team mates (but they're capable of precisely that). He will be a threat on the ball, as an offensive conductor – but even more so when he rapidly moves back up front (after releasing the ball) to seek out a chance to finish. A highly demanding role, that goes without saying, but I don't think there's anyone better suited for it.

TEAM CHESTERLESTREET

TEAM CRAPPYCRAPERSON

Team Crappycraperson

Defense

Peter Shilton, Bobby Moore have credentials that speak for themselves. Khurtsilava, one of the best Soviet defender of all time, selected as Georgia as their best player in 50 years. Klaus Urbanczyk, one of the best right backs in the world in 1960s, voted best right defender of 1962-63 season and East German footballer of the year in 1964. Carrasocosa Argentine left back from Argentina NT 1970s rounds off the defense.

Midfield

Van Moer plays as the playmaker. One of the best Belgian midfielders of al time Finished 4th in Ballon'dor in 1980. Asensi a complete central midfielder at Barca (stayed there for 10 years), a key player of their 74 league win and also scoring a goal in European final in 79. Finally City legend, Colin Bell rounds off the midfield. Regarded City's best player ever.

Attack

Tostao plays a false 9 role here akin to what he played in Brazil 1970. Bene starts out wide but would frequently also move to the center. Domenghini will attack from the right, capable of creating and scoring goals. Vital part of Italian team that won 1968 euros and reached the final in 1970.

Tactics

- Strategy will be to dominate the midfield using the 3 man midfield composite of 3 top class players. Asensi and Bell are both all round midfielders who will play some what B2B roles. Van Moer ties it up all together and will primarily sit and distribute from the back, other than pressing any central attacking threat.

- Up front, Bene and Tostao will be complimenting each other i.e. when Tosta drop deeps, Bene can move up front in the vacant position.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Ferenc Bene preferred to drift to the right, not start on the left.

Also, Chesters attack is draft final worthy.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Agree on Bene - seems strange not to see him on the right.

Also, both Moore and Khurtsilava preferred a more physical centre-back beside them. Take a look on Khurtsilava if you're wondering why:

He and Moore were very similar, actually, exquisite ball players and elegant defenders - but not so strong when we are talking about the brute force.

Which Van Moer is playing, @crappycraperson ? At what stage of his career do you define his peak?

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Aye, Domeneghini was capable of playing on either flank so they should be swapped.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
8-0 :D.. I really should have given a bye, had no time to do justice to my team in terms of research and write up.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Don't like van Moer role. He could be far more influential in a CM role he did in the Euros.

Chesters attack is just too good.
Yep, hence my question. If this is the young Van Moer, who was an attacking midfielder, than it doesn't make any sense. If this is the old one - well, it doesn't anyway.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, that was a silly old match - doesn't feel like a win at all. But I'll take it.