The Spurs thread | 2016-2017 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in top 4 in the upcoming season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baanke laal

banned

The Power Rangers look a bit under-equipped for their next season?

Discuss their squad, transfer dealings and the chances next season here till the action begins.

@GlastonSpur

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
They do look like the Power Rangers. :lol:

I'm surprised they're not a bit more active in the window. They could do with a back up for Kane and maybe a decent wide player considering they've got Champions League football as well as the league and two domestic trophies to go for. I'm not sure if they'll be in the top four or not. I could see them possibly competing with Chelsea and ourselves for fourth whilst Arsenal, City and United compete for the title.

Maybe they'll surprise us again and have another go at the title. Like us they could do with a trophy.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They do look like the Power Bottlers. :lol:

I'm surprised they're not a bit more active in the window. They could do with a back up for Kane and maybe a decent wide player considering they've got Champions League football as well as the league and two domestic trophies to go for. I'm not sure if they'll be in the top four or not. I could see them possibly competing with Chelsea and ourselves for fourth whilst Arsenal, City and United compete for the title.

Maybe they'll surprise us again and have another go at the title. Like us they could do with a trophy.
;)

baanke laal

banned
I'm surprised they're not a bit more active in the window. They could do with a back up for Kane and maybe a decent wide player considering they've got Champions League football as well as the league and two domestic trophies to go for
They are on the verge of signing Dutch striker Vincent Janssen from AZ Alkamaar.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
They do look like the Power Rangers. :lol:

Janssen - imminent, aged 22. He was top scorer in the Eredivisie last season with 27 league goals and 32 in total. I've never seen him play and have no idea whether he'll be good or not. In Poch we trust.

We've also signed Wanyama as cover/competition for Dier. That's it so far in terms of squad additions (no departures yet) ... apart from one or two youth players, most notably Cameron Carter-Vickers (centre back) and Marcus Edwards (midfielder), who I expect will join the first team squad.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
They'll be getting a bit of that for a while after how last season ended.
They are on the verge of signing Dutch striker Vincent Janssen from AZ Alkamaar.
It's always a bit of a coin toss with strikers signed from the Dutch league. I was expecting them to be linked to some more high profile names. There's still time but you'd think Pochettino would want signings in as early as possible to get them settled in to his way of playing.

Maybe he thinks the squad is already good enough to compete on four fronts.

baanke laal

banned
They'll be getting a bit of that for a while after how last season ended.

It's always a bit of a coin toss with strikers signed from the Dutch league. I was expecting them to be linked to some more high profile names. There's still time but you'd think Pochettino would want signings in as early as possible to get them settled in to his way of playing.

Maybe he thinks the squad is already good enough to compete on four fronts.
I agree with your opinion on Dutch strikers in the Premier League, more chances of going complete bust, especially he won't get the regular starts over Big Daddy Kane.

They are not lucrative enough to attract the established names despite finishing in CL places. The London club factor gets trumped by Chelsea and Arsenal, they can not compete with wages offered by other big PL clubs. Hence, they have to look for bargains and non-established names.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Janssen - imminent, aged 22. He was top scorer in the Eredivisie last season with 27 league goals and 32 in total. I've never seen him play and have no idea whether he'll be good or not. In Poch we trust.

We've also signed Wanyama as cover/completion for Dier. That's it so far in terms of squad additions (no departures yet) ... apart from one or two youth players, most notably Cameron Carter-Vickers and Marcus Edwards, who I expect will join the first team squad.
I completely forgot about Wanyama. Do you think he'll play alongside Dier or simply be a squad option rotated in and out when necessary? Dembele seems like an important player in Pochettino's set up as well so I don't think Wanyama will be taking his place?

As I said above it's always hard to know what you're getting when you sign a striker who was prolific in the Dutch league. He could end up being a Van Nistelrooy/Suarez, or a Kuyt/Kezman. I wonder how many opportunities he'll get considering Kane never seems to be injured.

Do you think you need a bit more quality out wide?

Cmz'

At the moment I really think they have a good shot at the title, all the pieces seem to be there for them. Great manager, best football in the league and possibly the best team (by that I mean as a collective rather than individuals.) Everyone will point to their collapse towards the end but the title was gone for them at the point and whilst there's no excuse for the capitulation to Newcastle, they have the youngest? first 11 in the league, they'll learn from the whole experience last season (i.e. title race and subsequent drop afterwards). Wanyama could prove to be a solid back-up especially as Poch knows him and he'll provide good rotation for those weeks where they have Prem, CL, Prem fixtures. The only issue that could be slightly problematic is the amount of players they had at the Euro's/Copa and how that will affect them early on in the season( although with that being said they seemed to start pretty slowly last season and still managed to do well.) Of their strongest 11 only Eriksen will have had a full summers rest which with the intensity they play at may cause them issues later on in the season especially as they don't seem to have much cover beyond the starting 11, overall though at this point they would probably be my favourites although that's because on paper they seemingly have less flaws than other teams.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I completely forgot about Wanyama. Do you think he'll play alongside Dier or simply be a squad option rotated in and out when necessary? Dembele seems like an important player in Pochettino's set up as well so I don't think Wanyama will be taking his place?

As I said above it's always hard to know what you're getting when you sign a striker who was prolific in the Dutch league. He could end up being a Van Nistelrooy/Suarez, or a Kuyt/Kezman. I wonder how many opportunities he'll get considering Kane never seems to be injured.

Do you think you need a bit more quality out wide?
Wanyama will almost certainly start the season alongside Dier, because Dembele is suspended for the first 4 games. After that I guess it will depend on how well Wanyama does, but Dembele was outstanding last season and will be hard to displace, so I'd guess Wanyama will be rotated in and out when necessary, but also start in domestic cup games.

Yes, we could do with better quality competition for the attacking wide slots. Someone who is an upgrade on Chadli, for example, to improve things if Eriksen or Lamela are not available.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

We've also signed Wanyama as cover/competition for Dier. That's it so far in terms of squad additions (no departures yet) ... apart from one or two youth players, most notably Cameron Carter-Vickers (centre back) and Marcus Edwards (midfielder), who I expect will join the first team squad.
Sounds like a Cameron Borthwick-Jackson wannabe :p

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I agree with your opinion on Dutch strikers in the Premier League, more chances of going complete bust, especially he won't get the regular starts over Big Daddy Kane.

They are not lucrative enough to attract the established names despite finishing in CL places. The London club factor gets trumped by Chelsea and Arsenal, they can not compete with wages offered by other big PL clubs. Hence, they have to look for bargains and non-established names.
The need to finance our new stadium complex is the biggest factor here. That aside, and even before income from the new stadium comes on stream, Spurs will soon enter the top 10 globally in terms of income ... so we are not especially poverty stricken.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I'll be surprised if they finish in the top 6. Will be shocked if they finish above more than one of Leicester, Man United, Man City, Liverpool and even Chelsea. And we know there's zero chance of them finishing above Arsenal.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
how much moolah does Spurs realistically have each window? Can they spend £100m?

I have no idea about their finances tbf.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
how much moolah does Spurs realistically have each window? Can they spend £100m?

I have no idea about their finances tbf.
Could we spend £100m? Definitely not. Our record signing is 30m and generally we tend to spend between 10-20m. We could go up to 30m again but our problem vs the more wealthy clubs is wages. Kane is soon to be our all time top earner at 100k p/w.

I think we will end up spending close to 40m this window with a few being sold also. Looking for players to add squad depth at moment rather than first teamers I think.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That third kit is horrible. Absolutely awful.

sammyvine

They are so overrated

Even with the 'amazing' season they had last year, they still bottled it and finished behind Arsenal who had a really poor season.

Alli and Kane were also brought back down to earth with their ineffective displays at the Euro's. I think Alli is terribly overrated personally.
I won't be surprised if they struggle, especially with Citeh and us having world class managers this season.

sammyvine

Is Edwards any good? Heard good things about him....

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Alli and Kane were also brought back down to earth with their ineffective displays at the Euro's. I think Alli is terribly overrated personally.
I won't be surprised if they struggle, especially with Citeh and us having world class managers this season.
I really rate Alli and Kane. Both were terrible at the euros but it's never fair to judge players in an England shirt, it's very rare that English players can replicate domestic form in international football and a lot of that has to do with mismanagement imo. I think both will have really good seasons.

I think Tottenham need to add some quality, they have the basis of a really good team but they lack that little bit extra, which would have won them the league last season. Lamela was actually impressive last season but he doesn't score enough (at least domestically), Son Heung-min has talent but doesn't score, Dembele is a great player who doesn't score, Chadli is average but has scored a decent amount before but the goals dried up last season. Even Eriksen who is very talented doesn't score, they need to add more goals to their side if they want to stay in the top 4. I know they're close to signing Janssen but in the system Tottenham play will they be able to field him and Kane in the same 11?

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
To be honest, I had never heard of Dier before the Euros but he is the only English player I was impressed with in Euros. Very solid player.

finneh

It's far more likely that Pochettino is sacked by February than it is that he's competing at the top of the table.

Spurs last year remind me of Liverpool when they finished 2nd. Absolutely everything going in their favour and they still don't win it. I'd say next season they're behind United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool. Alongside West Ham and Everton they'll be battling for 6th.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Can only see them struggling to repeat a top four spot next season, unless they find the resources to add at least one player who will genuinely improve their first eleven.

As it stands, they're basically depending on everything clicking into gear in the same way and for the same players as it did last season, and then some. That rarely happens without adding some actual quality to lift the team and spur the rest on. And I expect the quality required to reach top four to increase significantly in the coming season.

Like always, though, I'd be more than happy to see them steal a top four spot at the expense of one of our rivals.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
To be honest, I had never heard of Dier before the Euros but he is the only English player I was impressed with in Euros. Very solid player.
I think you’d be better off in cashing in on Pogba and signing Dier :p

AshfordLad

So I am still waiting for them to be able to beat Chelsea and Arsenal at attracting top talent given their CL participation.

Or was it after they start the NFL matches?

finneh

They are being linked with Mario Gotze by BILD

Not a chance do the financially leveraged Spurs board sanction a move for a player who'll cost more than a beer and burger combo at wetherspoons.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Is Edwards any good? Heard good things about him....
Supposedly very good, but only 17 so who knows how he'll turn out. Apparently he's to be given a few first team starts this season, which if true I'd assume would be in some of the domestic cup games.

baanke laal

banned
It's far more likely that Pochettino is sacked by February than it is that he's competing at the top of the table.

Spurs last year remind me of Liverpool when they finished 2nd. Absolutely everything going in their favour and they still don't win it. I'd say next season they're behind United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool. Alongside West Ham and Everton they'll be battling for 6th.
Can you compare their run with Liverpool's in 2013-14 though?

If you look at the points tally, Liverpool finished the season with 84 points in 13/14 at the 2nd place. Spurs finished 15/16 season with 70 points at 3rd place. Even though the things went their way, they still did not do anything special. Liverpool's season under Brentan & Suarez was special i think.

jungledrums

They are being linked with Mario Gotze by BILD

Do they even need him? They don't have a single quality wide player (I don't think Eriksen is at his best playing wide). Not to mention the fact that Gotze has been absolutely diabolical for about 2 years now. Would be an unnecessary risk to take; certainly not a signing I'd be worried about them making.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
So I am still waiting for them to be able to beat Chelsea and Arsenal at attracting top talent given their CL participation.

Or was it after they start the NFL matches?
I'd guess that you equate "top talent" exclusively with big fees and high wages. If so, you'll be a long time waiting - we have a new stadium to fund.

So we'll largely continue with the top talent that we already have.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Dark horses for the title imo. All the major clubs (except Arenal) having big changes to their squads/management. Spurs are a settled club and are continuing with their good transfers. They'll improve on last seasons form, only problem is they don't have much of a contingency plan if Kane gets injured.

AshfordLad

I'd guess that you equate "top talent" exclusively with big fees and high wages. If so, you'll be a long time waiting - we have a new stadium to fund.
No I equate Idea of top talent as those who the spurs forums have been jizzing about for 6 months.

Admit it Glasto, we still managed to do a number on you even without CL.

ReDDHDevilS

I think Spurs' achievements last season get somewhat overplayed on here.

Did they once break into top3 until February? I can't remember. In fact, until December where we'd a shocking month (failed to win a single game if my memory doesn't betray), they weren't even in top4 for once. It's only 2 months, February and March where they played very well at the same time Arsenal and City collapsed while we're already playing catch-up thanks to that disastrous month of December. Then after that, it's back to normal again.

So basically based on two months of football, it's been labelled as their best ever PL season by quite a lot where they didn't even manage to get past their previous highest points tally, only touched the 70 points mark which in recent past wasn't even enough for a top4 finish, finished 3rd and won nothing!

It's a season where ourselves, Chelsea, City all under performed. Spurs on the other hand, had several players clearly punching above their weight. They've a young core which is great but they're heavily reliant on 2/3 players. And the way Pochettino runs his players into the ground, without a bigger squad they won't be able to survive the whole season. Southampton players couldn't neither did Spurs players.

As I said before the Euro, I believe Chelsea will be a bigger threat than Spurs/Liverpool.

Last edited:

jungledrums

So we'll largely continue with the top talent that we already have.
I think it's safe to say that when he says top talent... he means top talent. Sanchez, Ozil, Costa, Hazard etc etc. The big names that the other Chelsea and Arsenal can sign; the ones Tottenham cannot.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Feck me that gold kit is horrible :lol:

How long will this stadium funding hold you back?
Surely it could be a huge negative.

What's Tottenham's attendance like usually?

finneh

Can you compare their run with Liverpool's in 2013-14 though?

If you look at the points tally, Liverpool finished the season with 84 points in 13/14 at the 2nd place. Spurs finished 15/16 season with 70 points at 3rd place. Even though the things went their way, they still did not do anything special. Liverpool's season under Brentan & Suarez was special i think.
It's a similar season; albeit a far less impressive one. Liverpool's season was based around the 4th best player in the world dragging his team up several levels. Spurs season was based around maybe the 25th best player in the world dragging his team up several levels. Think back to which players were actually great last year for Spurs...hint: when I saw England starting XI had 5 Spurs players; the QF was always a hopeful dream.

I'd compare Spurs season with Kane to West Ham's season with Payet. The player is worth 15 points on their own, but you're never going to win a title or gain any real success with that kind of "keep it tight and hope for a miracle" tactics.

There's a reason that the United team with RVN was one of the least successful. Most teams who build an entire plan around one player producing magic end up falling short (unless that player is Messi/Ronaldo).

The League is getting stronger and it wouldn't surprise me an iota if opposition teams next year realise that Spurs only have one plan with 2 players who can score... one of which is a young player on a huge hot streak which he's unlikely to replicate given his elevated status.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No I equate Idea of top talent as those who the spurs forums have been jizzing about for 6 months.

Admit it Glasto, we still managed to do a number on you even without CL.
Do a number on us? How about you translate this into something understandable ...

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I think it's safe to say that when he says top talent... he means top talent. Sanchez, Ozil, Costa, Hazard etc etc. The big names that the other Chelsea and Arsenal can sign; the ones Tottenham cannot.
Spurs already have several top talent players. You seem hung up on big fees and big wages as the pre-requisite for "top talent", when of course it isn't.

Which striker scored the most league goals last season in the Prem? I'll give you a clue - it wasn't Costa or Aguero or Martial.

Who were amongst the very best Prem midfielders last season? I'll give you another clue - several of them played for Spurs. And the same could be said of defenders in relation to several players in the Spurs back 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.