• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Boris

Physio

Boris Tactics

Apologies caught for time.

Goalkeeper: Complete player, capable of marshalling a deep defensive line or sweeping in behind a pushed up defence, well capable of playing out from defence.

Defence: Classic sweeper/stopper combo of world class players, full backs who will look to bomb forward and provide width.

Midfield: The wide midfielders will look to create overloads in the midfield and attack open spaces with forward runs. The centre will have one holder who will look to run the game, and a complete box to box player who will do the necessary to impose his personality on the game.

Attack: Main striker will look to pull to the left at times and curl shots into the far corner, a second striker who will look to drop into space and receive balls on the turn and utilise excellent long range hooting on either foot.

Key feature:
Left side, proven Pires/Henry partnership with Roberto Carlos an upgrade on Ashley Cole.

Physio Tactics

Tactics – Direct/ Mixed
Formation – 442
Defensive Line Balanced
Marking – Zonal
Press – Half-Court

One clear advantage I have is a genuine great, and hardworking, playmaker in van Hanegem. He can mastermind the midfield and has full licence back to front to dictate as he sees fit. Partnered with the excellent defensive CM in Zito who is also very tidy on the ball. Flanked by the hardworking Zagallo provides excellent balance in midfield. Zagallo also allows me to field Marcelo to give him the freedom to provide and overlap on the left. The speedy hardman Vierchowod can ably cover for him especially since dependable Armfield, who was described as the world’s best right back in 1962, will be more balanced. Blanc will marshal the defence and provide excellent passing from CB – also his knowledge of Henry will be invaluable in limiting his influence (with a balanced line and his quickness of mind Henry’s pace will not be as great of an issue as it might otherwise be, clearly Vierchowod helps too). Clearly one of the all time great keepers in Banks will not be easily passed.

Another place I have an advantage is that I have three huge goal threats: Batistuta is the best goalscorer on the pitch and was pretty pacy in his younger days. The Preston plumber who scored nearly 1 in 2 before he was shifted to second-striker. Finally Seeler who scored 43 goals in 72 games for Germany and around a 1 goal per game ratio for Hamburg. Further Seeler’s intelligence and passing will provide more creativity in the centre to play in Finney and Batistuta. Also his work off the ball out of possession will provide defensive solidity and give Boris’s midfield a problem in possession.

Finally, I have a lot of set piece threats. Both van Hanegem curl them in and Batistuta can blast them. Also from corners and crossed free kicks Seeler, Vierchowod, Blanc and Batistuta cause Boris a lot of problems in the air.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Boris has a very coherent team which makes sense. I also appreciate focusing on the system and picking Forlan as the SS alongside Henry - I think he's a much better fit than Shevchenko or Vieri. That said ideally I'd like someone more creative than Forlan to play quick through balls for Henry.

Finney against Roberto Carlos is a big mismatch in my favour. I always liked Bobby but he does jump in a lot and when the dive in fails , which it will at sometimes, will leave Finney to cut in and drag Campbell wider opening space for Seeler and Batigol.

On Seeler and Batigol I think they have an easier time against Campbell and Carvalho, than Henry and Forlan against Vierchowod and Blanc. Batigol and Seeler is a great complementary partnership who would be tough for even a GOAT CB pair to deal with.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Boris has a very coherent team which makes sense. I also appreciate focusing on the system and picking Forlan as the SS alongside Henry - I think he's a much better fit than Shevchenko or Vieri. That said ideally I'd like someone more creative than Forlan to play quick through balls for Henry.
I’m not sure if that’s true to be honest. Sheva had played in a front 2 for most of his career with different partners — from a great all-rounder in Protasov to a pure poacher in Inzaghi. If you’re not going down the Bergkamp route (be it Bergkamp or someone similar in the mound of Cantona), it’s almost impossible to find a better front 2 partner than Sheva.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
- Boris' is more a recent team, while Phyisio has more legends.
- Bori's is more dynamic and creative. Physio's is more rigid but it would be more devastating when work.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I’m not sure if that’s true to be honest. Sheva had played in a front 2 for most of his career with different partners — from a great all-rounder in Protasov to a pure poacher in Inzaghi. If you’re not going down the Bergkamp route (be it Bergkamp or someone similar in the mound of Cantona), it’s almost impossible to find a better front 2 partner than Sheva.
Without AM behind the front two, I rate Forlan more as SS than Sheva. Although both scenarios could work, with Boris' has enough creativity behind the front two.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I thought the same

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I can't see any real weakness in Physio 4-4-2, it's almost perfect team for this system for me. Full backs one side more attacking oriented and another side defensive oriented, extraordinary work rate, midfield-pairing and Seeler and Batigol is a great complementary partnership.

Both teams for me have a great midfield duo, They separate their roles really well.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Redondo and Keane are probably the best midfield duo in the draft. Batigol and Seeler is a great striker pairing though.
Keane and Redondo is indeed a great duo however van Hanegem and Zito is really not that far behind. Zito anchored the Brazil midfield with Didi, Garrincha and Zagallo. Not only was he great defensively but he was very tidy on the ball. Paired with the highly combative playmaker in Van Hanegem you have the perfect blend of steel and creativity.

That's fair. What I meant to say is that I appreciate that Boris didn't just throw the names at the side and thought about who was the best partner for Henry. I think Shevchenko and Henry would be great in a diamond but I think Henry is at his best with a creative link-man alongside him.

BorisDeLeFora

Physio has a really good team, was always gonna be tough.

The thinking behind Forlan was I wanted someone who would naturally drop in, taking a defender with him, so Henry can attack a more central space. Sheva preferred drifting to the left as well so I'm not so sure how that would work, sure they'd be good enough to figure it out, but that means you're asking a player to adapt his game, this in theory not fully utilising them at their best

Also I like Forlan, the 2010 world cup was incredible from him.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

The thinking behind Forlan was I wanted someone who would naturally drop in, taking a defender with him, so Henry can attack a more central space. Sheva preferred drifting to the left as well so I'm not so sure how that would work, sure they'd be good enough to figure it out, but that means you're asking a player to adapt his game, this in theory not fully utilising them at their best

Forlan is great mate, think you just missed the trick with Henry....considering you had Shevchenko who is also a great fit with Forlan, you really needed to upgrade one of Pires/Mendieta(for me it would be Pires). Redondo Keane is sensational though :drool:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Sheva loves drifting to the right, not left (as far as I know). So they won't clash. Like Sjor said, Sheva and Forlan are mighty fine already. The upgrade from Sheva to Henry isn't as great as upgrading other position. But then Henry was your 2nd pick, which is actually the best 2nd pick if just looking his quality.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Forlan is great mate, think you just missed the trick with Henry....considering you had Shevchenko who is also a great fit with Forlan, you really needed to upgrade one of Pires/Mendieta(for me it would be Pires). Redondo Keane is sensational though :drool:
Yeah I thought Boris might go Giggs (or Henry) first as the existing Tardelli-Keane central midfield unit was already kicking the arse out of it.

But the Carlos - Pires - Henry flank looks exceptional going forward with threats from all angles and Pires gels it together quite nicely.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
But the Carlos - Pires - Henry flank looks exceptional going forward with threats from all angles and Pires gels it together quite nicely.
Good going forward no doubt, however as I pointed out before, Carlos vs Finney will not be pretty.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
For those unfamiliar with Zito, here's a great compilation from the 1962 World Cup final.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
We are getting close to the end here. It's a point I have made before but Batigol and Seeler vs Campbell and Carvalho is much more in my favour than Henry and Forlan vs Vierchowod and Blanc. Vierchowod's speed and aggression with the organisation and calmness of Blanc will make it super tough for Boris. Batigol scored 7 goals in 15 games against Cannavaro who few would dispute was a better CB than Campbell. Batigol scored week in and week out against the toughest defences in Serie A and here is being provided for by Finney, van Hanegem and Seeler.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Good going forward no doubt, however as I pointed out before, Carlos vs Finney will not be pretty.
It's a fair point - I reckon Finney's dribbling style would cause some problems for Carlos (and Redondo inside too).

Hard one to separate.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Out of interest, for those who voted for Boris what swayed you? Was it the CM pairing, the Henry X factor or something else?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I just liked their MF a bit better. As to forwards, I can see Forlan/Henry being more complimentary than Bati/Seeler, though this is a toss up.

But that CB/GK of yours was brilliant so made me hesitate a long time. I suppose it was instinctive rather than thought out being this closely matched teams. if I have to vote now, I can convince myself to vote for you :lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
For me the CM pairing was the tipping point, although benching Sheva had me thinking once or twice to change my vote.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I just liked their MF a bit better. As to forwards, I can see Forlan/Henry being more complimentary than Bati/Seeler, though this is a toss up.
Who do you think would have been a better partner for Batigol? I think Seeler's creativity, mobility and selfless play would be a perfect complement to Batigol.

But that CB/GK of yours was brilliant so made me hesitate a long time. I suppose it was instinctive rather than thought out being this closely matched teams. if I have to vote now, I can convince myself to vote for you :lol:
Please become a time traveller.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Physiocrat Seeler / Bati looked sound with me. Seeler works with everybody really. That said I thought you might get Henry because they'd be two contrasting forwards. For example, I remember Caniggia / Batigol looking pretty devastating together for Argentina with Claudio stretching the play in different directions.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Tell you what, that is a really low voter turnout for a high quality game.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Physiocrat Seeler / Bati looked sound with me. Seeler works with everybody really. That said I thought you might get Henry because they'd be two contrasting forwards. For example, I remember Caniggia / Batigol looking pretty devastating together for Argentina with Claudio stretching the play in different directions.
I decided against Henry because I think he's best with a Bergkamp type plus I think you want an inverted left winger with him to give him space to drift left. In a diamond I would have definitely taken Henry alongside Batigol.

Also Seeler was more of playmaking forward than Henry (that might be a little unfair to Henry though) which is what I think better suits a 442. You really want a creative player as an SS.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I decided against Henry because I think he's best with a Bergkamp type plus I think you want an inverted left winger with him to give him space to drift left. In a diamond I would have definitely taken Henry alongside Batigol.

Also Seeler was more of playmaking forward than Henry (that might be a little unfair to Henry though) which is what I think better suits a 442. You really want a creative player as an SS.
wtf, Seeler is everything but creative...i adore him obviously, one of if not my favorite striker but it seems that fecking Santos game completely fecked up perception of him. All friendlies should be removed from the internet, fecking circus games.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
wtf, Seeler is everything but creative...i adore him obviously, one of if not my favorite striker but it seems that fecking Santos game completely fecked up perception of him. All friendlies should be removed from the internet, fecking circus games.
I'll watch them again. It could well be that the Santos game has messed up my memory.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Batigol and Uwe might be hard to visualize their synergy, but if it works it would be devastating. I like the idea of thinking outside the box. Would having Ruud vN and Lewa work? I think Fergie could make them work.

Last edited: