A One-to-one With Corry Evans

oskarutd

http://www.irishfa.com/the-ifa/news/2756/a-one-to-one-with-corry-evans/
04/02/2007
By Caroline Menary

MANCHESTER United ace Corry Evans has been named in the NI U17 squad by manager Kenny Shiels ahead of two friendly matches against Scotland this week.

Corry, who is making his comeback after being injured for over a year, is looking forward to getting back into football: “ I haven’t actually played for Northern Ireland since the Victory Shield which was over a year ago now, so I’m really excited about these two matches.

“I’ve only played one full 90 minute match in the last five months as I was injured but I’m glad of this opportunity to build up my match fitness. Scotland’s Daniel Galbraith is my team mate at Manchester United and we both want to impress in these matches so it’ll be very interesting!”

Jonny Evans is a name many NI fans know and aspire to be and younger brother Corry is no exception, hoping to one day follow in his footsteps and play for the senior squad: “Playing for the national team is everyone’s main dream really. It’s definitely a great ambition of mine to walk out for the senior team,” he said.

The Evans family uprooted and moved to England to support Jonny and Corry when they both signed for Manchester United but far from putting pressure on the young players, the move allowed the boys to focus on developing their skills: “Some of the boys I play with get very homesick so it’s nice to have Mum and Dad with us to know we can call on them when we need support and it makes us feel more comfortable and at home. I still try and get home to NI though as much as I can to see friends.”

Having signed for Manchester United last summer aged just 15 years of age, Corry’s career looks set to soar: “Club life at Manchester United is going well but I’m coming back after injury at the moment so I’m concentrating on working my way back into the team,” he said. “These two matches will boost my match fitness and confidence so I’m really looking forward to them.”

West Ham’s Ryan O’Neill will step into the role of Captain for the two games against Scotland as Manchester City’s Ryan McGivern is going through his rehabilitation from a stress fracture he sustained in December.

Manager Kenny Shiels hopes McGivern will be healed in time for the elite stage of the European Championships next month in Portugal: “He will be a major loss for us but the upside is that Ryan O’Neill will get an opportunity to impress in the games,” said the U17 boss.

Shiels is keen to prepare well ahead of the elite stage of the Championships: “The Scotland friendly matches have a dual purpose benefit for our under 17's Programme. One is to help the players prepare for the elite stage inPortugal at the end of March.

“Secondly, we have included six schoolboys in order to try and help them gain experience at this level which is geared at preparing them for next season for the under 17's European Championship.”

The first U17 match, on Monday 5 February, will be played at Taylors Avenue, Carrick with KO at 7.45pm. The second U17 match, on Wednesday 7 February, will be played at Wellington Rec, Larne with KO at 11am. There will be no gate charge at either of the above home matches and all are welcome to attend!

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I got high hopes for young Corrie, would be great to have another set of brothers playing for the United first team again.

westlife4ever

Corry played the 1st half in the first game. don't know whether he played in the second game though.