4. Corry Evans
5. Scott Wootton
6. Matty James (c)
7. Chris Curran
8. Magnus Eikrem
9. Federico Macheda
10. Nicky Ajose
11. Oliver Norwood

On MUTV at the moment, we've started pretty well.

PS18

1-0 United on the half-hour, Ajose scoring fron Norwood's through-ball.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
U18s set for Stoke clash

Just in case anyone was interested in reading a pre-game here it is:

United’s Academy side will make the short journey to Stoke tomorrow morning looking to preserve their unbeaten record in 08/09.

The clash at the Michelin Sports Ground is United’s first against fellow Group C opposition. Stoke finished bottom of the group last season - losing to the Reds 2-1 at home (goals from Matty James and Danny Drinkwater) and picking up a 2-2 draw at Carrington (both United goals from Kiko Macheda) - and this season sit eighth of the ten teams, although their record of won 2, drawn 1, lost 1 and the fact they’ve (like United) only played four games suggests that such a lowly position is a little misleading.

Stoke’s danger-man appears to be striker Warwick Alexander, who scored in each of the Potters’ first three games (wins over Charlton and Leeds and a remarkable 7-1 home defeat by Bristol City). Skipper Nathaniel Wedderburn is another to look out for - he scored Stoke’s goal last week as George Foster’s side earned a creditable 1-1 draw at Newcastle.

United will go into the game looking to re-find the defensive solidarity that saw them last 320 minutes into the season without conceding a goal. That run was ended by Aleksander Prijovic’s equaliser for Derby early in the second half last Saturday, and with both that goal and Derby’s second coming from corners, there will have been plenty of work on the training ground this week on defending set-pieces (if Stoke’s U18s are anything like their senior counterparts it will be needed).

Paul McGuinnessPaul McGuinness has essentially the same group of players as last week to pick from. Joshua King and Robert Brady were forced to withdraw from international duty in midweek and will again be absent tomorrow, while Scott Moffatt is still a few months away from a return and Joe Dudgeon, although now back in training, will likely need another couple of weeks before he can be thrust back into action. The other main doubt is Lee Askham - there has been no word this week on whether he is still on trial, whether he has been signed or whether he has left the club, so it’s very much a case of having to wait and see whether the winger’s name appears on the teamsheet tomorrow. Davide Petrucci should be fit to return after missing out last week.
Link: http://manunitedyouth.wordpress.com/2008/09/26/u18s-set-for-stoke-clash/

PS18

And 3-0 on 35 minutes, another excellent goal from Chris Curran this time. Great performance at the moment.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Wow that is fantastic we are killing them...

PS18

The goals had been coming, there was a good ten minutes of constant pressure and United chances before Ajose made the breakthrough.

PS18

3-0 at half-time, Stoke just hit the bar in the last minute before the break.

Impressive stuff, lots of improvement in this side still (Macheda's had a below-par game so far for example) but they're still far too good for Stoke.

PS18

Double substitution on 61 minutes:

15. Reece Brown for Matty James
14. Cameron Stewart for Ollie Norwood

Corry Evans taking the armband and pushing up into midfield.

PS18

4-0 full-time. In cruise control in the second half, never looked like conceding, could have added a few more. Great performance, Ajose, Norwood and Evans particularly impressive for me.

Name Changed

weso26
Evans I thought as well was good. There is lots of room for impovement though which is always a good thing.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Thanks a bunch, PS18. How did James do? What kind of injury is Petrucci out with?

PS18

Evans I thought as well was good. There is lots of room for impovement though which is always a good thing.
Evans brought some real 'experience' to the backline I thought. With Brown and Wootton still very new to the side and Strickland and Gill out of position it needed someone like Corry to step in and lead.

prateik said:
where is the fat Italian ?
Who's the fat Italian? Pavarotti? Dead mate.

Elliott said:
Thanks a bunch, PS18. How did James do? What kind of injury is Petrucci out with?
James was solid, outshone by Norwood a bit though I thought. Should probably have got a goal or two though.

Not sure if Petrucci is injured or (like MadDogg said) just already joined up with Italy U19s. Their first game is on Weds/Thurs so it seems feasible.

LouisRocca

Chirag, I don't know if you know, but the site you keep quoting/linking, http://manunitedyouth.wordpress.com, is the site of our ONE AND ONLY, PS18 here on CAF!

He surely makes it easier for all of us, to keep track on how our youth are doing.

Keep up the great work PS18!

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Chirag, I don't know if you know, but the site you keep quoting/linking, http://manunitedyouth.wordpress.com, is the site of our ONE AND ONLY, PS18 here on CAF!

He surely makes it easier for all of us, to keep track on how our youth are doing.

Keep up the great work PS18!
Are you kidding me? WOW that is a brilliant site my friend.. PS18 great stuff.. I had no bloody clue! Thanks for informing me... Why don't you put those stories up here as well? I mean they are very well informed and have lots of interesting things to say/report.. Great job mate..

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Someone said Petrucci was fat in a different thread......which is why he is now being referred to as the fat Italian!

The fact that he is as skinny as a rake will hopefully help him lose this tag!

He missed the game against Stoke as is away with the Italian Youth team in their training camp.

John Gorman who is with our 16's, was with the Northern Ireland team the week before, missed the Derby game, as he played in three UEFA Qualifying games. Unfortunately the Irish were eliminated during the process. So it seems that some lads will miss Academy games due to international commitments.