Academy v West Bromwich Albion

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Under-18's

United defeated West Brom 4-2 at Carrington this morning. With Zieler, McCormack, Galbraith away on international duty, United called upon couple of under 16's and played Danny Drinkwater in his favoured midfield position. United leds 3-1 at the break through goals by Brandy, Welbeck and Fagan and were well worth the lead. In a tighter second half, Craig Cathcart made it 4-1 from a corner before WBA pulled a goal back in the last ten minutes. Oliver Norwood replaced Sam Hewson in the second half and looked very comfortable.

Meanwhile, Richard Eckersley is back in training while Corry Evans is still six weeks away with a groin injury.

Final Score 4-2

Team: Amos, Derbyshire, Lea, Chester, Cathcart, Drinkwater, Eikrem, Hewson, Brandy, Fagan, Welbeck

Subs: Norwood (8)

Scorers: Brandy, Welbeck, Fagan and Cathcart

Under -16's

The junior team defeated West Brom 1-0 with a penalty from Jason Lampkin in the opening 15 minutes. With many players injured, Cameron Stewart, Oliver Gill (back) and David Williams (asthma) all unavailable.....and Ollie Norwood with the 18's.....it was a very young team and although United deserved their victory, the play was not as fluid as it has been in previous weeks.

Team: Woods, Moffatt, Dudgeon, Longworth, Strickland, Potts, Lampkin, James, Bryant, Ajose, Farrelly

Subs: Roberts (9) and (11), Bulmer, Byrne (7), Slingsby (8)

Farrelly came back on for (4)
Longworth came back on for (2)

Scorer: Lampkin penalty

Additionally, it was announced this week that Norwood, Ajose and Stewart have been called up into the England U-16 squad and David Williams into the England U-17's.

Mr. MUJAC

oskarutd said:
How is that possible?
Great info as usual.
Do you know anything about Dominic Lilley?
Has he been released?
I think Mitchell Bryant was taken off by Mark Dempsey for swearing.......once he had calmed down (at half time)...he came back on......so Roberts then replaced someone else later in the game

I have seen this happen in friendlies but not at Academy level.....United and WBA must have agreed to allow this.....

I am not sure about Dominic Lilley and will ask around next time.....

oskarutd

TonyPark said:
I think Mitchell Bryant was taken off by Mark Dempsey for swearing.......once he had calmed down (at half time)...he came back on......so Roberts then replaced someone else later in the game

I have seen this happen in friendlies but not at Academy level.....United and WBA must have agreed to allow this.....

I am not sure about Dominic Lilley and will ask around next time.....
Ok. Thanks. Good work Dempsey!

Was Bryan injured as well? Only one sub for the u-18s?

oskarutd

manutd.com

U18s: United 4 West Brom 2

United's Under-18s continued their impressive run of form with a 4-2 victory over West Bromwich Albion at the weekend.

Paul McGuinness' side are now on a run of four matches unbeaten, following up wins against Leeds and Huddersfield and a draw with Everton last weekend with their best performance of the season so far against the Baggies at Carrington.

Febian Brandy struck after eight minutes to get the Reds off to a good start, the young striker's fifth goal in as many games for the Under-18s.

West Brom equalised four minutes later, but Danny Welbeck and Chris Fagan scored before the break to put the Reds 3-1 up aft half time.

Eight minutes into the second half, defender Craig Cathcart put the game out of reach, and West Brom's second goal on 81 minutes was no more than a consolation.

United face two tough local Derbies in the next two weeks with a trip to Bolton next Saturday and the visit of Manchester City the following week.

United: Amos, Derbyshire, Chester, Cathcart, Lea, Drinkwater, Eikrem, Hewson (Norwood, 71), Welbeck, Brandy, Fagan.
Subs not used: Woods, Ajose, James.
Weren´t the both games going on at the same time?

Mr. MUJAC

oskarutd said:
U18s: United 4 West Brom 2

United's Under-18s continued their impressive run of form with a 4-2 victory over West Bromwich Albion at the weekend.

Paul McGuinness' side are now on a run of four matches unbeaten, following up wins against Leeds and Huddersfield and a draw with Everton last weekend with their best performance of the season so far against the Baggies at Carrington.

Febian Brandy struck after eight minutes to get the Reds off to a good start, the young striker's fifth goal in as many games for the Under-18s.

West Brom equalised four minutes later, but Danny Welbeck and Chris Fagan scored before the break to put the Reds 3-1 up aft half time.

Eight minutes into the second half, defender Craig Cathcart put the game out of reach, and West Brom's second goal on 81 minutes was no more than a consolation.

United face two tough local Derbies in the next two weeks with a trip to Bolton next Saturday and the visit of Manchester City the following week.

United: Amos, Derbyshire, Chester, Cathcart, Lea, Drinkwater, Eikrem, Hewson (Norwood, 71), Welbeck, Brandy, Fagan.
Subs not used: Woods, Ajose, James.
Weren´t they both games going on at the same time?

Oskar, this wrong! Woods Ajose and James all played for the under 16's at exactly the same time as the under 18's. They could never have been substitutes.....further.....only Norwood was on the under 18 teamsheet as the only substitute...

ManUtd.Com has got it wrong!

oskarutd

TonyPark said:
Oskar, this wrong! Woods Ajose and James all played for the under 16's at exactly the same time as the under 18's. They could never have been substitutes.....further.....only Norwood was on the under 18 teamsheet as the only substitute...

ManUtd.Com has got it wrong!
I suspected that, Tony.
MUTV had it as you.
Just, had to show you this.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I am interested in any interesting facts about the kid. For example best position, age and what type of player he is.

Mr. MUJAC

andersj said:
I am interested in any interesting facts about the kid. For example best position, age and what type of player he is.
David is a big strong forward who has an excellent eye for goal. He has a good first touch and can beat a man with close control or strength. He has a penchant for shooting when he can and has a good goalscoring record. He has been called up into the under 18's on a couple of occasions and scored twice versus Walsall at the beginning of the season. He was born in Manchester on 23rd November 1990 and attends Chorlton High School. David is also a fine cricketer and could have easily won representative honours with Lancashire. He is currently sidelined with Asthma and has been called up into the England under 17 squad. He was spotted playing for Flixton Juniors in 1998.

Hope this helps......

Mr. MUJAC

Einar15 said:
great report... Is Joe Farrelly any good?
Joe Farrelly hads just returned to football after being out of the game for nearly 18 months with ankle problems. Apparently he has an operation and has only just started playing again. I don't know any more about him....

westlife4ever

thanks for the information, Tony, brilliant!

I remember that you've post this sort of informations about Welbeck and Woods... but can't find them any more...