Academy vs Everton

PS18

U18s: United 2 Everton 0

United's Under-18s found the killer touch their coach had been calling for, albeit in the nick of time.

Danny Drinkwater's goal in the 90th minute ended Everton's hopes of salvaging a point in a midtable clash at Carrington. The tough-tackling visitors had trailed to Nick Ajose's opener from the 31st minute but until Drinkwater delivered, the result remained in the balance.

The win, United's first in the league since 6 January, will doubtless please academy coach Paul McGuinness. Earlier this month he told us: "We need to have the end product.

"The finishing touch is our next step. If we do that consistently, we'll push up the league and get recognition for the football we play."
any news on the full lineup and/or how the u16's got on?

Einar15

Lineup: Amos(Zieler), Moffatt, Dudgeon, Evans, Strickland, Drinkwater, Derbyshire, Norwood(James), Brandy(Bryan), Fagan, Ajose

Unused subs: Stewart and Williams.

ANWAR

Why is brandy still playing in the U18 matches, he should be with the reserves and can anyone give me a bit of information on whelbek(sp), i've heard great things about this lad and i just want to know if anyone thinks he's good enough to make it at united (from the people who've seen him play).

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
ANWAR said:
Why is brandy still playing in the U18 matches, he should be with the reserves and can anyone give me a bit of information on whelbek(sp), i've heard great things about this lad and i just want to know if anyone thinks he's good enough to make it at united (from the people who've seen him play).
Brandy's playing mainly for the 18's because that's his age group and he's 'yong and lernin'. The reserves need to use Dong and Smith, amongst others, to bring them on.
Wellbeck looks good. Still far too early to tell whether he'll make it, look at Mads Timm.

Einar15

I think Welbeck has the the potential to make at United. He has very good technique and great intelligence on the pitch he also has good physique and pace. He's been playing above his age group this season and has been one of the standout players. I remember when he came on against southampton in the youth cup and dazzled past their players all night.

julesee

ive seen Wellbeck have some anonymous games at Academy level although the first time i saw him i was impressed....didnt see him against Southamptom admittedly....