Alec Stewart retires

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
England wicketkeeper-batsman Alec Stewart has announced he will retire from international cricket at the end of the summer.

The 40-year-old, who is preparing to make his 129th Test appearance in the first Test against South Africa at Edgbaston later this week, made the announcement at a press conference on Tuesday lunchtime.

The Surrey legend stands second only to Graham Gooch as England's leading Test run scorer and has also made more Test appearances than any other England player.

Among the highlights of Stewart's career were centuries in both innings against the West Indies in Barbados in 1994, and leading his country to a famous Test series victory over South Africa four years later.

"I have given it a lot of thought and I let Duncan (Fletcher) know this morning over breakfast and then informed David Graveney as well.

"It's not something I have taken lightly. I had 13 years as an international cricketer and it's not something you just give away.

"I could have left it until later on in the summer but I thought it was better to get it out in the open now so we can get on with the series.

"I've always said that when I'd finished with England I'd like to have a season just as a Surrey player, so hopefully I'll get the chance next season to play with them."

England coach Fletcher said: "I was pretty surprised. I still believe that Alec is the best all round wicketkeeper we have got by some distance but there are some young keepers coming through.

"I think he has got better and better over the last couple of years and the thing that has impressed me most is his professionalism and the way he has been a role model for younger guys."

Stewart's father Mickey added: "Even today he'll be looking to the next game of cricket as if he was playing weekend club cricket or working in the City.

"We've had a few conversations over the last few months and I said: `You'd know (when to quit). It's your decision.'

"His young family has very much come into consideration. He's got a little boy and a little girl and to be away from home as much as he has has been difficult.

"It's a pity, as if he could have played on for another two or three years everyone would have benefited.

"This is all he wanted to do from a young lad. He's achieved his ambition playing for Surrey and England and he's enjoyed every minute of it."

Former England captain Mike Gatting backed Stewart's decision to retire from international cricket at the end of the summer.

Gatting told Sky Sports News: "I'm sure it is [the right decision]. He'll know himself if enough's enough. Any ex-player knows what it's like to retire. I think he's doing the right thing."

Gatting paid tribute to Stewart's contribution to the England side over the years, adding: "He's done everything that's been asked of him. When people have said he's down and out, he's proved them wrong, which is what great players do.

"He's been one of the players you put first or second on the team sheet after the captain."

Shame it has to end, Ive really enjoyed watching him bat over the years..Seems like a gentleman too. But i guess they all have to retire sometime. Good luck to him in whatever he does next, even if he is a Chelsea fan :p

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
Originally posted by Snoeker:
<strong>How many runs is he short of Gooch?</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www-ind1.cricket.org/link_to_database/PLAYERS/ENG/S/STEWART_AJ_01001953/" target="_blank">Alec Stewart</a>

and

<a href="http://www-ind1.cricket.org/link_to_database/PLAYERS/ENG/G/GOOCH_GA_01001446/" target="_blank">Gooch</a>

golden_blunder

Staff
so basically, stats for Test cricket only are:

Gooch
118 matches
8900 Runs
42.58 Ave
20 centuries
46 50's

Stewart
128 matches
8281 Runs
40.19 Ave
15 centuries
44 50's

Not bad for a man who's been opener, moved up and down the order and been on wicket keeping duties.

Snoeker

Originally posted by golden_blunder:
<strong>so basically, stats for Test cricket only are:

Gooch
118 matches
8900 Runs
42.58 Ave
20 centuries
46 50's

Stewart
128 matches
8281 Runs
40.19 Ave
15 centuries
44 50's

Not bad for a man who's been opener, moved up and down the order and been on wicket keeping duties.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Great record. Lets hope he doesn't get those 600 odd runs in this series.

:)

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
that average is amazing considering he played the majority of his test cricket in very poor england sides who rarely managed a total of 300 or more.

golden_blunder

Staff
Originally posted by Rams:
<strong>that average is amazing considering he played the majority of his test cricket in very poor england sides who rarely managed a total of 300 or more.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hold the press! Rams in serious post shock! ;)