All Time Chain Draft - SF: The Stain vs MJJ/crappy

With players at career peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I was thinking similar when reading the write ups - Crappy/MJJ have described Sammer as both 'playing his natural libero role' and as a 'dedicated DM'. For me they're two distinct roles, albeit with overlapping responsibilities.
Precisely. I've read in previous game that @Balu considers Sammer the libero as world class, but Sammer the DM not in the big leagues.

If Sammer is going to be tagged with Laudrup, then he is no longer a libero, just a DM who can drop into defence.

@MJJ is better off playing Sammer in back 3 as full libero. Laudrup is not a goal scoring threat and so Sammer's better off helping against RvN/Robben. Vieira and Tigana are no slouches when it comes to defensive midfield and between then they should be enough to shore up that area.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Two great teams here and a wide open match. Epic game.

I was thinking similar when reading the write ups - Crappy/MJJ have described Sammer as both 'playing his natural libero role' and as a 'dedicated DM'. For me they're two distinct roles, albeit with overlapping responsibilities. As far as a set definition, I don't think there really is one, but I like this small excerpt about the evolution of the role:

Personally I think of a libero as being nominally part of the defensive line, with the best exponents having considerable freedom to step into midfield and even join the attack as Sammer did frequently. DM is a considerably more positionally restricted role IMO.
Actually we have said (and as had Balu in the past) that Sammer is capable of joining the midfield battle or drop into defense as the third central defender.

He is great in both roles. Here the situation demands that he strangles any kind of creative influence Laudrup can exert in the match. Like I said, bar Rijkard I can't think of a better player for this role.

crappycraperson

Scout
Precisely. I've read in previous game that @Balu considers Sammer the libero as world class, but Sammer the DM not in the big leagues.
You have read wrong. This is what Balu had to say when he used Sammer against Zidane, a very similar AM as Laudrup

Matthias Sammer excelled in that libero position, he will be where he's needed. If the team is up against a lone striker, he joins the midfield battle and has more freedom going forward.
The midfield battle: Sammer will play a huge part here with only one striker in my opponent's team, he will help to contain Zidane's influence on the game

MJJ

tbh it was your countless comparisons. And Scirea - I found it hard to vote against him originally but when I saw that you don't know what kind of player he was (or don't want to acknowledge it at least) I counted it as a tactical advantage for Stain

And I don't think that Sammer = Laudrup logic works, it's not a math.
:lol: fair enough, although I really don't think not knowing what the opposite centre back plays like is a significant tactical advantage or disadvantage. I expected a libero but he is more of a ball playing defender as well. Big whoop.

It might not be maths but saying sammer will nullify Laudrup is a reasonable assumption.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Close game, in real life could turn bloody with kohler well known tenacity, i read somewhere he's the best man markers out there.

But laudrup tips it for me. That guy is ace in his prime with denmark. Although sammer will close him down

crappycraperson

Scout
Anyway, MJJ is here so I am off. 14-12 now. Come on folks. Romario can work his magic here .. or Henry can do this..

crappycraperson

Scout
Close game, in real life could turn bloody with kohler well known tenacity, i read somewhere he's the best man markers out there.

But laudrup tips it for me. That guy is ace in his prime with denmark. Although sammer will close him down
You just answered your own question :D

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I was more critical about Sammer as a box to box midfielder, not necessarily as a DM/libero in a hybrid role. I personally think it's a bit silly to place him as a DM in the formation and then describe his role as the one he played at his best, clearly a libero. But I guess a big part of why people do it is because how negative voters react to a back five in most games, so I started to look past it and just assume that Sammer knows what's best for the team anyway and would play accordingly.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Yes. I will remember this :D

Congrats @The Stain, there was very little between the 2 teams. I do believe the United bump helped you here but it has helped me and @MJJ in the past, so no complains. Well earned victory after those corker of reinforcement picks.
Thanks! You guys have a great team. Good game!