All Time Chain Draft - SF1: Tuppet vs diarm

With players at career peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diarm

I think @diarm had a fantastic and is unlucky to lose by such a margin. However, he had two clear weaknesses in defence - Vidic and Gary Neville.
I know it is a United forum and it is sacrilege not to rate those two, but I think Vidic is a weakness against any high quality player with pace, and he was lucky in the premier league that some of his rashness wasn't punished. As for Neville, he has needed support from his partners in defence and his mistakes have been as highlighted - for example against City in 2001-02 or maybe the season after, when he was shambolic. He has had the shine of others rub off on him. He has rarely if ever been an absolute essential to the team, for example we were better at right-back when Brown covered for him, and he never was as essential in a league win as Rafael was in 2012-13 season as our 2nd-3rd best player. I know it is a very controversial opinion, but here goes :nervous:

I don't agree with your points on Vidic because he was absolutely world class at his peak and dealt with plenty of pacey players. One off day against Torres has been used to paint a picture of him that wasn't accurate at all.

For what it's worth, had I managed to sneak through this match, my two picks for the final would have been Fernando Hierro (Schuster 89/90) and Roberto Carlos:

Carlos was a brilliant addition to Tuppets side and for all my arguments during the game, I reckon he could well have been the difference between the two sides in this match.

sajeev

I don't agree with your points on Vidic because he was absolutely world class at his peak and dealt with plenty of pacey players. One off day against Torres has been used to paint a picture of him that wasn't accurate at all.
I am not just holding that against him. I was never really comfortable with him, and always felt he had an error in him (see him against Etoo as pointed out in this thread). We were lucky he was playing in the premier league, but in other leagues his rashness might have been punished. Of course, no player is perfect, and him at his peak was a better defender than anyone right now. And if defending was a sport by itself, I would rate him much higher.

Tuppet

Tough luck @diarm you have a fantastic team and as Annahnomoss suggested, you pulled off a difficult system almost perfectly. Unlucky to lose here, but a great game anyway.