All Time Reserves Draft | Quarters

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Finally, absolutely ridiculous that he lasted that long. Could have easily been a first round pick, what a steal he is at this stage.
To be fair there are quite a few absolutely outstanding f9/10 still unpicked. But yeah, Hidegkuti is a steal at this stage

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused

Nándor Hidegkuti

1. Stobzilla & KM - 1. Enzo Francescoli 2. Fritz Walter 3. Juan Joya 4. Roger Marche 5. Nestor Goncalves
2. Downcast - 1. Luis Suarez 2. Rensenbrink 3. Osvaldo Ardiles 4. Gerrard 5. Vieri
3. RedTiger - 1. Gianni Rivera 2. Stielike 3. Bossis 4. J.Greaves 5. Donadoni
4. Sjor Bepo & Invictus - 1. Gérson 2. Förster 3. Riva 4. Kaltz 5. Billy Wright
5. Tuppet - 1. Florian Albert 2. Thomas Muller 3. Blanchflower 4. Josef Bican 5. Roberto perfumo
6. Aldo Staine - 1. Teófilo Cubillas 2. Mario Kempes 3. Pietro Vierchowod 4. Armando Picchi 5. Elkjær Larsen
7. Chesterlestreet - 1. Matthias Sindelar 2. Kazimierz Deyna 3. Grzegorz Lato 4. Wilhelmus "Wim" Jansen 5. Roberto Rosato
8. Isotope - 1. Sandro Mazzola 2. Tostao 3. Ciro Ferrara 4. Gianluca Zambrotta 5. Ince
9. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard - 1. Uwe Seeler 2. B. Conti 3. Ruggeri 4. Lerby 5. Labruna
10. harms & Annah - 1. Zizinho 2. Keizer 3. Netto 4. D. Alves 5. Leonidas Da Silva
11. MJJ & green_smiley - 1. Dixie Dean 2. Dobrin 3. Luis Pereira 4. Israël 5. Romeo Benetti
12. BBRBB - 1- Nils Liedholm 2. Júnior 3. Alain Giresse 4. Diego Godín 5. Thiago Silva 6. Nándor Hidegkuti
13. Physiocrat - 1. Kaka 2. Zagallo 3. Modric 4. Cerezo 5. Evra 6. Taylor
14. mazhar13 & Marty1968 - 1. W. Overath 2. H.G. Schwarzenbeck 3. H. Szymaniak 4. H. Crespo 5. F. Causio 6. M. Tassotti
15. Edgar Allan Pillow- 1. L Brady 2. N Stiles 3. K Dalglish 4. I Rush 5. VR Andrade 6. Danny Blind
16. Enigma_87 - 1. Allan Simonsen 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Stojkovic 4. David Villa 5. Bratseth 6. Willi Schulz

@MJJ @green_smiley

Amazed he lasted until now!

MJJ

Nándor Hidegkuti

1. Stobzilla & KM - 1. Enzo Francescoli 2. Fritz Walter 3. Juan Joya 4. Roger Marche 5. Nestor Goncalves
2. Downcast - 1. Luis Suarez 2. Rensenbrink 3. Osvaldo Ardiles 4. Gerrard 5. Vieri
5. Tuppet - 1. Florian Albert 2. Thomas Muller 3. Blanchflower 4. Josef Bican 5. Roberto perfumo
6. Aldo Staine - 1. Teófilo Cubillas 2. Mario Kempes 3. Pietro Vierchowod 4. Armando Picchi 5. Elkjær Larsen
7. Chesterlestreet - 1. Matthias Sindelar 2. Kazimierz Deyna 3. Grzegorz Lato 4. Wilhelmus "Wim" Jansen 5. Roberto Rosato
8. Isotope - 1. Sandro Mazzola 2. Tostao 3. Ciro Ferrara 4. Gianluca Zambrotta 5. Ince
9. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard - 1. Uwe Seeler 2. B. Conti 3. Ruggeri 4. Lerby 5. Labruna
10. harms & Annah - 1. Zizinho 2. Keizer 3. Netto 4. D. Alves 5. Leonidas Da Silva
11. MJJ & green_smiley - 1. Dixie Dean 2. Dobrin 3. Luis Pereira 4. Israël 5. Romeo Benetti
12. BBRBB - 1- Nils Liedholm 2. Júnior 3. Alain Giresse 4. Diego Godín 5. Thiago Silva 6. Nándor Hidegkuti
14. mazhar13 & Marty1968 - 1. W. Overath 2. H.G. Schwarzenbeck 3. H. Szymaniak 4. H. Crespo 5. F. Causio 6. M. Tassotti
15. Edgar Allan Pillow- 1. L Brady 2. N Stiles 3. K Dalglish 4. I Rush 5. VR Andrade 6. Danny Blind
16. Enigma_87 - 1. Allan Simonsen 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Stojkovic 4. David Villa 5. Bratseth 6. Willi Schulz

@MJJ @green_smiley
Fernando Torres.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I prioritized midfield and defense because pools are shallower but Hidegkuti was way too good to pass at this point. :D

Moby

Dick
11. green_smiley - 1. Dixie Dean 2. Dobrin 3. Luis Pereira 4. Israël 5. Romeo Benetti 6. Di Bartolomei

@harms @Annahnomoss

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What's MJJ playing at? Did he forget that he resigned? Shankly style meddling with the new man's business?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Quite interested in seeing how all three of Leidholm, Giresse and Hidegkuti function together.
I'm exploring two interesting options. It depends if the players I want get back to me.

harms

Staff
First of all, I want to give credit to my co-manager, @Annahnomoss, if not for him I would've picked this player in the first round because I really, really wanted to build a team around him and he certainly have enough quality to justify such a decision.

So, the Golden Boy of Soviet football, and, without any doubt, the most talented player to ever come from USSR and post-Soviet states. And that is some claim - with the contenders like Yashin, Blokhin, Shevchenko, Voronin, Netto etc. Enough with the suspense - you probably guess the name anyway already.

Eduard Streltsov

I think that most of you are familiar with his story - he was destined to become one of the greatest ever until something terrible happened. In the age of 20, on 27 may of 1958, just a few weeks prior he World Cup, he was arrested. The whole country stopped working, and I'm not exaggerating here, shocked with surprising news. Streltsov, along with his teammates Tatushin and Ogon'kov were a suspects in a rape investigation.

I won't bore you with the details of this case - there are lot's of articles with different theories about what really happened that month, I'll just leave a link to Jonathan Wilson's piece for the Guardian. Until this day we don't know, was this case fabricated (and we all know about the "impartiality" of the Soviet court system) or did he really participated in the unspeakable. I'll leave you with the facts - Streltsov was convicted and was going to spend the next 12 years of his life in GULAG.

5 years later he was granted a release. If you want to know what happened to him there, you can get a clear picture by reading Solzhenitsyn or Shalamov. He went out a different man - he wasn't a full of life young, handsome and famous person that his teammates knew before, they were amazed when they met him in 1963 - it was a depressed, broken overweight man with noticeable boldness. Of course, he wasn't allowed back to football - Soviet athletes were the pride of the country, the personification of the Communist ideology, how can a convicted felon can present his club and his country in front of the viewers.

But, despite spending 5 years in the camps, Streltsov wasn't forgotten. Fans of Torpedo Moscow sang his name every game and started rallies, hoping that their actions will lead to rehabilitation of Streltsov's image and, finally, to his return to the big football. After two long years Soviet government granted permission for Streltsov to play again. Take a minute to think over this situation - he missed 7 years of his life in prison and working at the factory, but still, given the chance, returned to the pitch.

Of course he wasn't the same player than before - hell, he wasn't even the same man. This horrible experience left it's mark on him, but the moment he stepped on the pitch, he felt the love of the fans and the relief of being able to do what he did best, his favorite thing on the Earth, to just play football.

His form, considered everything that happened to him, was impressive. He wasn't a force of nature that he was in his youth; he lost the ability to simply run through people and score for fun - something that grant the comparisons between him and Pele before the 1958 World Cup, which should've been his claim to greatness; but his football intellect, his technique, his vision - it was still with him. In 1965, in the year when he just returned to the big football, he was voted the second best player in USSR; in 1967 and 1968 he was consecutively voted as the best player in the country. In 1967 his quality was recognized even by the West journalist - he was nominated for Ballon d'Or again, a decade after his last nomination.

We tend to romanticize players that were denied the greatness by something outside the football. Probably the most notable example would be Duncan Edwards - a player who was on his way to become the best British footballer of all times and probably one of the all-time greats, but lost his life in the air crash. Here lies a paradox - in the same way we overrate and underrate him. We can't perceive the actual level of his football ability and achievements separately from his unrealized potential. Same with Streltsov, but I hope that you'll see what I see in him and what his contemporaries saw in him.

The numbers:
7 - He was voted 7th best player in Europe in 1957, just 19 years old at the time. Coincidentally it would be the last Ballon D'Or nomination for Edwards, who was just a year older, too. Both of them features in 1956 list too, sharing the 13th place
16 - He made his debut for Torpedo Moscow at 16 years, becoming the youngest player to play in the USSR premier league.
16 - Not surprisingly, just a month later he scored his first goal, becoming the youngest goalscorer in USSR history
17 - His debut for the national team came shortly after that. He started with two hat-tricks in his two first games, including a hat-trick against Sweden (half of that Swedish team will go all the way to the World Cup final just three years later)
18 - He became the top scorer in the Soviet league - of course, the youngest USSR top scorer of all-time
19 - He led his team to the Olympic Gold, with the most impressive game being the semi-final against Bulgaria. USSR were down to 9 men but Streltsov scored an equalizer at 112 minutes and set-up a winner
20 - In the best form of his career he gets convicted and goes away to prison for 5 long years

I made a lot of gifs, but I'll continue with the presentation later. Here's a few (sadly, only the footage from 1967 is available, so bear in mind that this is not Streltsov at his peak)

Last edited:

harms

Staff
10. harms & Annah - 1. Zizinho 2. Keizer 3. Netto 4. D. Alves 5. Leonidas Da Silva 6. Streltsov
11. green_smiley - 1. Dixie Dean 2. Dobrin 3. Luis Pereira 4. Israël 5. Romeo Benetti 6. Di Bartolomei

@Skizzo @Pat_Mustard

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Hidegkuti :drool::drool::drool:
Fall in love with the man after doing research for the Euro draft, could easily be a first round pick IMO.

harms

Staff
Looking forward to seeing him action @harms !

You might want to edit the unpicked player in your second paragraph.
Yeah, sorry, forgot that not all of them are picked.

I've made a lot of gifs, but, sadly, they are based only on 2 games (1 full and 1 extended highlights) + a few minutes of exclusive footage that appears in the documentaries. And none of it shows him in his youth days :( He still is incredibly impressive, with his technique, vision, sheer presence on the field, I watched the "1000 goals at Old Trafford" video after making the gifs and was struck by the resemblance between him and Cantona, never thought of that before.

Skizzo

9. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard - 1. Uwe Seeler 2. B. Conti 3. Ruggeri 4. Lerby 5. Labruna 6. Hanappi
10. harms & Annah - 1. Zizinho 2. Keizer 3. Netto 4. D. Alves 5. Leonidas Da Silva 6. Streltsov

@Isotope

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
8. Isotope - 1. Sandro Mazzola 2. Tostao 3. Ciro Ferrara 4. Gianluca Zambrotta 5. Ince 6. Just Fontaine
9. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard - 1. Uwe Seeler 2. B. Conti 3. Ruggeri 4. Lerby 5. Labruna 6. Hanappi

@Chesterlestreet

EDIT: sorry.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Right, another gamble of sorts here, in the sense that I probably should pick someone else, in a position where the pool is arguably shallower, but what the hell. I'll take one of the best and most successful defensive midfielders of all time, twice winner of the Libertadores, twice world champion: José Ely de Miranda, better known as...

Zito.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
7. Chesterlestreet - 1. Matthias Sindelar 2. Kazimierz Deyna 3. Grzegorz Lato 4. Wilhelmus "Wim" Jansen 5. Roberto Rosato 6. Zito
8. Isotope - 1. Sandro Mazzola 2. Tostao 3. Ciro Ferrara 4. Gianluca Zambrotta 5. Ince 6. Just Fontaine

@Aldo

Moby

Dick
6. Aldo Staine - 1. Teófilo Cubillas 2. Mario Kempes 3. Pietro Vierchowod 4. Armando Picchi 5. Elkjær Larsen 6. Amancio
7. Chesterlestreet - 1. Matthias Sindelar 2. Kazimierz Deyna 3. Grzegorz Lato 4. Wilhelmus "Wim" Jansen 5. Roberto Rosato 6. Zito

@Tuppet

harms

Staff
Right, another gamble of sorts here, in the sense that I probably should pick someone else, in a position where the pool is arguably shallower, but what the hell. I'll take one of the best and most successful defensive midfielders of all time, twice winner of the Libertadores, twice world champion: José Ely de Miranda, better known as...

Zito.
Was hoping to pick him in the next round. Just couldn't wait on Streltsov anymore. Class pick!