All time sit back and hit on the counter team

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Based on this criteria, how would you build a team following this?

I want to know everyone’s ideas about your team that can compete on the highest stage.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Blokhin - L. Ronaldo
Platini
Brehme - Voronin - Keane - Zanetti
Maldini - Baresi - Nesta
Buffon
You can probably put a few shinier names here but ultimately for the task at hand it would be hard to upgrade this. Maradona fits too, of course, but I really wanted to build this side around Platini and his vertical passing (and this allows a bit more freedom for Ronaldo). Probably should've swapped Blokhin for Boniek due to their magical understanding.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Blokhin Gullit
Nedved ......................... Beckham
Matthäus .. Mauro Silva
Cole .. Figueroa .. Nesta .. Zanetti
Buffon​

Two defensive banks of four + two hardworking, rapid attackers who close down midfield & can be sent on counter raids on their own. Long passing ability (among other things) behind them.

But then... this team would probably want to play on the front foot more; perhaps more natural to play reactively with less quality players (or more Italians).

GOAT alternative for front two is Maradona + young MvB as Diego/Careca remake
Conti for Nedved may be a bit more interesting

Last edited:

Bwuk

Real Madrid side who won 4 out of 5 CL trophies.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
.....................................MVB................
.......Stoichkov...L. Suarez....Voronin....Gullit
Brehme...Maldini...Scirea..Thuram...J. Zanetti
..............................Schmeichel.........................

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Cristiano - Drogba
Nedved - Matthaus - Beckham
Desailly
Maldini - Baresi - Koeman - Thuram
Buffon​

harms

Staff
Koeman is an interesting choice. I can see the reasoning — he won't be that exposed with limited space around him (and considering the calibre of his support) and there's no one better at pinging the ball forward from that position.

BIG DUNK

Tank
In terms of the most effective counter-attacking teams I’ve seen, I would take the following players:

Peter Schmeichel (Manchester United)

If you’re sitting deep you need a goalkeeper to command his area and instill confidence in his backline and fear in the opponent. Schmeichel’s ability to start quick attacks with his long throws is key too.

Javier Zanetti (Inter Milan)
Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan)
Gaetano Scirea (Juventus)
Paolo Maldini (AC Milan)

This back four I have full faith in sitting back, soaking up the pressure, maintaining a tight compact back line, winning their individual battles then turning defence into attack. Scirea is both covering and able to perform a libero role. The athleticism and positional discipline from the fullbacks is the best I’ve seen.

David Beckham (Manchester United)
Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan)
Patrick Vieira (Arsenal)

Pirlo in his deep lying playmaker role has full vision of the pitch, supported by two box to box midfielders. Vieira at times seemed like a one man midfield, able to break up play, link up to the attack or finish a move at the other end. Beckham can likewise help the quick transition from defence to attack but through his high workrate, crosses and long passes.

Mohamed Salah (Liverpool)
Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)

Ronaldo and Benzema represent the best counter attacking one-two I’ve seen. Ronaldo’s numbers speak for themselves, while Benzema is the perfect link man. Salah has scored on too many counter attacks to ignore.The front three are perfectly set to fully take advantage of Pirlo and Beckham’s passing range, or the direct pass-and-move interplay with Vieira and Scirea.

Cristiano Benzema Salah

Vieira Beckham
Pirlo

Maldini Scirea Nesta Zanetti

Schmeichel

Last edited:
Reactions: jojojo

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
That Real Madrid side that demolished Bayern at the Allianz Arena.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Fenôm—Håland—Kaká
Giggs—Matthäus—Modrić—Cafú
Maldini—Sammer—Bergomi
Schmeichel
  • Explosiveness and potential for athletic mismatches in attack, with Kaká having more of a creative function than Fenômeno or Håland (and frequently dropping into “the hole” as a direct style of No. 10.)​
  • Really liked the idea of Modrić given his capabilities as a ball progresser, wish there was an extra berth for him. But this unit isn't half bad if you desire verticality and incisiveness. Never mind, just couldn't leave him out; je suis désolé, De Bruyne.​
  • Bergomi and Maldini were experts at throttling the opposition and soaking up pressure, and Sammer was quite effective in transitions. Seems a half-decent, symbiotic combination, at first glance.​
  • Schmeichel for his imperious aura, shot-stopping and ball-launching ability on counter-attacks. Alisson as first alternate, probably.​
  • Manager: Don Carlo, because he's good at massaging egos and keeping things simple in terms of the nuts-and-bolts. Some of his best teams (which had quality in spades) often deliberately sat back, and the tactic wasn't particulaly complicated.​
  • Di María is very appealing option for this approach. Scholes, too (as a progressive passer). Maybe they should form their own midfield department, with one or two additions?​

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Here's another one that I like a lot more -

.....................MVB........................
...............................Gullit..................
Giggs...L.Suarez...Voronin...Beckham
Maldini..Scriea....T. Silva.......J. Zanetti
.......................Schmikes....................

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Would have Bale over Giggs, personally. Better passer, better finisher and arguably alot more quicker.
Giggs was a better dribbler in tighter spaces.

harms

Staff
Would have Bale over Giggs, personally. Better passer, better finisher and arguably alot more quicker.
Giggs was a better dribbler in tighter spaces.
He was arguably quicker but certainly not by "a lot". Giggs gives you more defensively so there's also this aspect.
Nothing wrong with picking Bale, of course, the man was simply devastating when there was any free space left in front of him.

Edit: Also wouldn't agree with the better passer bit. Much stronger overall and a better finisher though, for sure.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
........................Pele...................
........Ronaldinho........Gullit.......
.. Junior.........................Becks..
.................... Rijkaard.................
Maldini...Baresi...Nesta...Vogts
.................. Schmeichel...............

4321 probably is the best fit for a counter attacking team. Load the midfield, enough passing for a quick counter.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
...............Muller....
...........................Zico ....

...Davids..Matthaus..Keane..Gullit.

Maldini...Kohler...Beckenbauer...Thuram

.................. Schmeichel...............

Last edited: