Angel Gomes Watch

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Paulo Fonseca is really good at nurturing raw talent, it has been his strongest asset since his career start. And he's a manager that plays a very attacking style, which means players with good technique and good concentration will rise under his tenure.

Lille sold and/or couldn't hold a a good number of players in the last two seasons and didn't invest that much, so they needed the players who were there to step up a bit.
Lucky for them, Angel was one of those: last season he was not so consistent, he actually improved and became a more tactical player, with less vertical moves.

Based Adnan

Will never understand why we gave minutes to a finished Juan Mata or Lingard who went over a year without a league goal or assists instead of giving this guy even some cameos.

We had no development plans for him at all. Refused to give him minutes and refused a loan offer he brought to the club. It's no wonder he left. Now he's a press resistant midfielder, a profile we sorely lack.

flameinthesun

Pogba is basically the only one, and even there we managed to bring him back at his "peak".

After that you're looking at the likes of Michael Keane and Danny Welbeck who are very much in the "could have done a job" category.

We get one highlight reel of Gomes every two or three months (usually of him spraying a couple of nice passes under little pressure, against mid-table Ligue 1 sides or youth internationals) and every time he's made out to be the second coming of Scholes.
Yeah, not saying they aren't talented players or couldn't do a job for us but none from memory have really been a "man we should have kept him" type of player apart from Pogba. Maybe Johnny Evans, but even then as a squad player similar to Wellbeck and Keane.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
https://fbref.com/en/players/645a3363/scout/365_m1/Angel-Gomes-Scouting-Report

Looks great. Just goes to show you, hanging around does nothing for your career.
Defensive stats are the only main concern for him to make the jump up to a bigger side, it would seem.

His ball control, ability in tight spaces, and decent enough dribbling ability to pass a player are very good traits to have but it'd have to be the right move to a side who plays to adorn his strengths.

EDIT: Funny that Billy Gilmour is one of the top "similar players" at the bottom on the FBref. He's the exact player I was thinking of when I could see Gomes doing well for a midtable PL side.

Skills

Snitch
Defensive stats are the only main concern for him to make the jump up to a bigger side, it would seem.

His ball control, ability in tight spaces, and decent enough dribbling ability to pass a player are very good traits to have but it'd have to be the right move to a side who plays to adorn his strengths.

EDIT: Funny that Billy Gilmour is one of the top "similar players" at the bottom on the FBref. He's the exact player I was thinking of when I could see Gomes doing well for a midtable PL side.
I think someone of his size is always going to find it hard being imposing defensively, unless you're built like a brick house.

There's probably 2 places to go for him - become more physically imposing, so he's more capable defensively or become even more decisive in the attacking third so it's worth accomodating for his defensive flaws. I think he'd be a good foil for Rice and Bellingham in the England team though, but Fodens a much more complete package in that role if England decide to go that way.

Gordon S

Some people say he is too short and lightweight and could never cut it in a stronger league.
But i don´t think i have ever seen him getting easily bullied by bigger opponents? He seems to have both good balance and awareness that keeps him on his feet.

Skills

Snitch
Some people say he is too short and lightweight and could never cut it in a stronger league.
But i don´t think i have ever seen him getting easily bullied by bigger opponents? He seems to have both good balance and awareness that keeps him on his feet.
On the ball sure, being nimble and a short center of gravity helps. It's off the ball where physique and build matters more. You need to be able to hold your own in enough 50/50 challenges.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's nothing to do with height, really, it's more about defensive fundamentals. Someone like Eriksen is around 5'11 but he's basically a non-entity defensively. Winning a tackle, positioning yourself correctly to intercept play, anticipation of where it will land etc. Verratti was hardly is/was a bruiser but he's always been sound enough defensively. Probably the perfect prototype for Gomes to try and mould around given the stature and same playstyles.

Oldyella

Will never understand why we gave minutes to a finished Juan Mata or Lingard who went over a year without a league goal or assists instead of giving this guy even some cameos.

We had no development plans for him at all. Refused to give him minutes and refused a loan offer he brought to the club. It's no wonder he left. Now he's a press resistant midfielder, a profile we sorely lack.
We will probably be saying the same about the likes of Hannibal in a few years.

Gordon S

On the ball sure, being nimble and a short center of gravity helps. It's off the ball where physique and build matters more. You need to be able to hold your own in enough 50/50 challenges.
He definitely falls short in the areal duels, but along the ground, i think he uses his low center of gravity to his advantage to win the ball as well. From what i have seen at least.
We´ve had our fair share of bigger guys in midfield post Fergie but i don´t think anyone of them used their size that well to their advantage, most of them just feel slow and clumsy.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
With the exception of CB position where Center backs bellow 1.80m are usually a rare sight, there are so many short and/or lightweight players playing at top level and succeeding that this shouldn't be a topic anymore.

In Rainbows

Is still a thing? Has anyone actually watched him?
He's lazy, good on the ball and comes alive when he has it, his shot weekend just gone shows that, but he doesn't track back, jogs around the pitch, heck he didn't even react to his keepers second penalty save, his striker teammate actually ran past him to clear the rebound as Gomes didn't even move.
I said it before, but if people think Rashford is lazy then just wait until you watch Gomes.
You could say that for a bunch of midfielders. It's about what they bring to the table and if the positives are worth it. He's still very young for a midfielder, with plenty of room to continue to improve. If he improves, he would be a good buy for at least a squad role. Doesn't mean he'll be great all around.

It's not like McTominay is helping out defensively for instance. Well apart from corners.