Antonio Conte Sack Watch (Spurs) - GONTE

AndySmith1990

Easy decision to sack him. Contracts up in a few months so Levy won't need toupée him much to get rid now

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Kane most likely gone at end of season, Mason as manager, Son in decline, defense a joke. Where do they end up next season?

They need to give up on superstar managers that are used to managing teams full of top tier players. And get a manager that is good nuturing academy prospects and getting young players to give their all. That is also willing to play a bit more of an adventurous modern style of football.

GazTheLegend

I only heard his meltdown for the first time last night and I had thought people were exaggerating. Nope, if anything it's been underplayed, he goes in HARD. It might sound daft though but what is it he's railing so hard -against- exactly, what is it that is so rotten at Tottenham because from an outside perspective they seem to be to be exactly where I'd expect, and at least they have their new stadium and infrastructure etc. It was his job to give them that winning mentality.

Zen86

Kane most likely gone at end of season, Mason as manager, Son in decline, defense a joke. Where do they end up next season?

They need to give up on superstar managers that are used to managing teams full of top tier players. And get a manager that is good nuturing academy prospects and getting young players to give their all. That is also willing to play a bit more of an adventurous modern style of football.
I think they fell into the trap of thinking a good, big name manager will make their players better, forgetting that these managers usually have good players to work with.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If we win Europa do Spurs get CL whilst being 5th in the league?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
They need new ownership stat. Otherwise, they might get a manager like de Zerbi and it might make them plucky underdogs for a couple of seasons before they have to go through the same cycle again.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
They need new ownership stat. Otherwise, they might get a manager like de Zerbi and it might make them plucky underdogs for a couple of seasons before they have to go through the same cycle again.
They need to rid Levy. But with him having equity in the organisation it would be difficult.

cyberman

Levy loves hiring the wrong manager for this squad and he seems to love the defensive, disciplinarian sort as well. Maybe it’s a projection of how he sees himself but Levy is 100 percent the wrong man to choose a manager for any club.

frostbite

They already tried this with Nuno.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why, though? They've only got backwards under him. He's done a terrible job. They should have a decent shot at improving once freed of him.
They've finished 4th last season which is a very good achievement considering their situation, I don't think he did a terrible job at all. I'd say decent to good job.
He is extremely ambitious and driven for success and with more backing I think he do even more, even a trophy at some point, which for Spurs would mean history.
His football is terrible from the neutral point of view but he gets the job done without spending hundreds of millions on players. With a new/modern manager and the potential investment which will not be that consistent knowing Levy, with aging starters like Kane and Son, I don't see Spurs getting CL football anytime soon, unless they strike gold again like it happened with Poch which is very unlikely, that boat sailed already. Even if Poch comes back, they will struggle.

Remember the geese

I'd be bringing in someone as an interim until the end of the season, with the main aim of trying to make it a happy camp and to put a smile on player's faces. Similar to how Ole was originally appointed after Mourinho. It may give them the short term boost they need to get top 4. Whether it's Ryan Mason or Harry Redknapp, I'm not sure. Following that, I'd be looking at appointing someone like Slot, Amorim, De Zerbi, Kompany, Carrick or Gallardo. Lots of good options.

Last edited:

Pintu

Why, though? They've only got backwards under him. He's done a terrible job. They should have a decent shot at improving once freed of him.
Terrible job indeed.

Barbara Charles

For the love of pickled beets

You make good points.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The contempt he has for Spurs is quite remarkable actually.

Pintu

They've finished 4th last season which is a very good achievement considering their situation, I don't think he did a terrible job at all. I'd say decent to good job.
Given what they have available (current squad and possible spendings) and the competition in the league (with us and Arsenal back to normal) there is no coach in the world that could guarantee them 4th place and KO in the CL.

I’d say Tuchel is the only one who could probably get them results as good as what Conte gave them. He’d probably do better in the domestic Cups (you need luck as well).

But I don’t believe Tuchel would be interested after what Conte endured there. He can wait for better opportunities.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think this is brilliant, genuinely. He has called out the owner, the club and some of the players for just being happy to do ok and don't want the pressure that comes with really challenging. He is 100% right and I'm delighted to hear him say it. He is probably gone now unfortunately though but I'm glad he is going out swinging because this needs to be said .
He's not saying it for the benefit for the club or the fans. It's pure self-preservation. It's like a bat signal to future employers that whatever has happened at Spurs is because it's Spurs. He's absolving himself completely, which is ironic because he's talking about selfish players but what he did here is the height of selfishness. Yes on some level there is truth to what he's saying so I can understand when you say it's brilliant and it needed to be said but for me he's taking the cowards way out and it's genuinely diabolical behaviour.

Pintu

This is if you ignore the regression on the pitch, the number of times they had to rely on come backs against far lesser teams etc. It’s on a downward path and they’re right to sack him.
That reasoning works both ways… They also lost points to some fluky events. Last saturday was pretty good exemple of that. Leading 3-1, make a huge individual mistake and then get an imaginary penalty against you. These things tend to balance out. He is still making 20 points more than Arteta at similar stage, double the GD… Arteta’s second season was abysmal by all means and we all thought he should be sacked.

I agree Spurs should sack Conte, but not for the ppg. Pretending his results there aren’t good is ludicrous. Spurs with their current squad and wage bill have no business expecting more.

Doracle

Terrible job indeed.

But then you wonder why Conte is going ballistic. He took over a team that has finished 7th the season before and were struggling before he came onboard. They’ve already improved significantly in that time. He can’t surely have thought they’d be title contenders already? It feels like he just wants out and has decided he can do better elsewhere.

Robertd0803

If they sack him now, surely it's arrivederci CL next season.
The thing that would worry me is the new manager bounce will take them in to the CL next season. Longer he stays the more damage possible.

And on his rant at the weekend I reckon hes stepping up his efforts to get the boot. The personal stuff hes had to deal with lately is probably (rightly) causing him to look at the profeasional side of things not being worth this level of stress. But then again I reckon he wanted out in the summer after the transfer window closed.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The owners are interested in paying for the stadium. Winning trophies a distant second. Top 4 more important. That's the conflict.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

I think he wants to leave. Probably the only manager who wants to get the sack.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Given what they have available (current squad and possible spendings) and the competition in the league (with us and Arsenal back to normal) there is no coach in the world that could guarantee them 4th place and KO in the CL.

I’d say Tuchel is the only one who could probably get them results as good as what Conte gave them. He’d probably do better in the domestic Cups (you need luck as well).

But I don’t believe Tuchel would be interested after what Conte endured there. He can wait for better opportunities.
If good managers, not world class, like Conte and Mourinho failed at Spurs then their only option is to hire a modern, emerging manager but that can work both ways. I also believe Tuchel won't work there.
If a manager like De Zerbi comes I think they should stop focusing on CL qualification and start playing some good attractive football, maybe develop some good players for the future like Poch did. But there is also the possibility of going the Everton way if they approach the wrong manager and they may find themselves closer to relegation than CL.

Mr. Robot

But... guaranteed trophies?
@balaks will still tell us all he's a great appointment.

Conte is a dinosaur and it was always going to end in tears. Sure, they won the "Finished in the top 4 one season which no-one will remember" trophy but that's always papering over cracks.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
He loves getting sacked and getting the pay off doesn't he?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
@balaks will still tell us all he's a great appointment.

Conte is a dinosaur and it was always going to end in tears. Sure, they won the "Finished in the top 4 one season which no-one will remember" trophy but that's always papering over cracks.
Will I now? Anything else you want to tell me about what I think or will say? Takes all the stress out of life if somebody else just does all this for you.

BorisManUtd

Think he did great job last season to finish in top 4, they looked horrible under Nuno. This season though Spurs regressed under Conte, getting out of both domestic cups, going out vs Milan in CL in bad fashion and even league wise (where Conte is the best) they haven't been great, even though top 4 is still very much possible. If it wasn't for that press conference after Southampton they would have probably kept him until the end of the season.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I think many of us non Spurs fans all predicted it would end in tears. Conte v Levy is just... carnage

Andy_Cole

If we win Europa do Spurs get CL whilst being 5th in the league?
No.

If we won Europa and are 5th then there would be 5 teams entering. But it doesn’t give England an extra place if we won Europa and came 3rd.

Funny enough if we came 5th and won Europa, Chelsea won the CL and finished 9th or whatever, then 4th place would lose its spot as a max of 5 teams can enter the CL.

Nero

The Cult of Conte have to take a massive loss with this one.