Arsenal 2023/24 - Have bottled the Champions League and are Bottling the League

erikcred

Would have preferred a Liverpool win but a draw is fine by me.

I thought that was the weakest City side to turn up at Anfield in a while.

Meanwhile we’re peaking at the exact right time…
Judging from the recent influx of Arsenal fans here, I'd say so.

JoeyAbs

Supports
Arsenal
Judging from the recent influx of Arsenal fans here, I'd say so.
Fair point!

I signed up initially because I couldn’t get over how much we were being written off on here at the expense of Liverpool. There’s this weird paranoia on this forum about them winning the title.

We’re the only one of the current top three who currently look like contenders, and all the data suggests we’re the most complete team.

It will be a two horse race and City will rightly be considered favourites, but I’ve yet to see them at their imperious best. They were average today at Anfield.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Ah, the over confident newbs are here. Like clockwork

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Arsenal come to Old Trafford 2nd to last game which is a big boost for them, as at that point United's season will be over and the players will be in "let's get the manager sacked" mode. We'll probably lose our last 5 or 6 games like we always do when the players have decided a manager is gone. Easy 3-0 for Arsenal.
That's when they'll bottle it.

Darren Fletcher The Third to get a hattrick

Irwin99

If you were a United player in the final home game of the season and Arsenal were on top of the league just ahead of Liverpool and City, I think you could be forgiven for doing a Steven Gerrard and making a dodgy pass back or two for Saka to get hold of :D. I certainly wouldn't be too bothered by it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Intrigued how they set up at Man. City. A draw would be a very very good result for Arsenal given their run in looks pretty good compared to the other two.

Can't see Havertz placed back in the middle trio working as then Rice gets overrun. Jorginho done a good job in recent weeks but again pace of the game might just be a little too much but he has the experience to compensate.

In ideal world for them Partey would've been back for over a month and have decent match fitness but he looked way off it against Sheffield United so will probably come too soon.

Is Martinelli going to be back aswell?

They are well overdue something away to Man. City, can't even remember the last time they didn''t lose, maybe 2015?

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Intrigued how they set up at Man. City. A draw would be a very very good result for Arsenal given their run in looks pretty good compared to the other two.

Can't see Havertz placed back in the middle trio working as then Rice gets overrun. Jorginho done a good job in recent weeks but again pace of the game might just be a little too much but he has the experience to compensate.

In ideal world for them Partey would've been back for over a month and have decent match fitness but he looked way off it against Sheffield United so will probably come too soon.

Is Martinelli going to be back aswell?

They are well overdue something away to Man. City, can't even remember the last time they didn''t lose, maybe 2015?
When we beat them at the Emirates, Jorginho started and Partey came on later (and made the long pass for the winning goal). I imagine we'll set up similarly and keep the same formation that's been working lately. Though I think Jesus will probably be in for Trossard. Not sure re: Martinelli, he was on crutches in the game vs Brentford.

But that's still a few weeks away and we have Porto first.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I fancy us to win our remaining 5 home games, villa, Bournemouth, Chelsea, Everton and Luton although we haven't really followed the script that well this year. Chelsea and Villa are the rougher ones on paper.

The away games are always naturally harder but they are also far trickier at least on paper, City, Spurs, Brighton, Wolves and Man Utd. None of those 5 are easy, not even Wolves. We have apparently a 64% win ratio away from home, so that will be a stat we will have to improve on to win the league. Good news is that it's only 5 more games away from home.

Steve Bruce

If you were a United player in the final home game of the season and Arsenal were on top of the league just ahead of Liverpool and City, I think you could be forgiven for doing a Steven Gerrard and making a dodgy pass back or two for Saka to get hold of :D. I certainly wouldn't be too bothered by it.
To be honest, I don't think Arsenal will need us to slip, as it looks right now, Arsenal will trounce us. But it's a couple of months away, a lot can change.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
All sorts can happen in the final 10 games, and either Liverpool and/or City could go on a mad run leaving us adrift. We've won 8 in a row and matching a last-season style City run-in would represent a pretty much unprecedented run of form from us. So I'm not all that optimistic. I am, though, encouraged that we're 'for real' looking at these stats vs the equivalent fixtures from last season:

• xG: +5.0 (56.8 vs 51.8)
• G: +7 (70 vs 63)
• xGA: -10.2 (19.5 vs 29.7)
• GA: -3 (24 vs 27)
• xG Dif: +15.2 (+37.3 vs +22.1)
• G Dif: +10 (+46 vs +36)

It definitely gives the lie to the 'they've gone backwards' idea.

Last 10 can be about mettle rather than underlying stats though... let's see if we've got it.

Reactions: Invictus

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
All sorts can happen in the final 10 games, and either Liverpool and/or City could go on a mad run leaving us adrift. We've won 8 in a row and matching a last-season style City run-in would represent a pretty much unprecedented run of form from us. So I'm not all that optimistic. I am, though, encouraged that we're 'for real' looking at these stats vs the equivalent fixtures from last season:

Last 10 can be about mettle rather than underlying stats though... let's see if we've got it.
It is indeed more about having the energy, experience and discipline to get to the finish line at this point. We came up pretty short last year in the quarter of the season. Let's see if we have grown from it. 89 points minimum in my opinion. Can't see City losing points in too many games especially in those last 5 of games, so we need to set the tone in the City game. Cracking finish to the season this is.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

Last year if you looked beyond the table in any way, it was clear that City were the far superior team. They were outperforming us on advanced metrics even before they hit top gear in February/March and even before we got a few key injuries that we couldn't cope with. By the end it wasn't close.

We're a lot better this year but anything can happen in 10 games and we'll have to cope with a level of pressure that we just haven't faced yet.

Especially with three teams in the mix, the margins are non-existent and you can lose the title in a single moment of madness in any match - dumb red card, penalty, howler, etc.

Teja

The gone backwards thing is strange to me - Even the eye test said Arsenal were so much better defensively this season than last and basically always controlled games, mopped up counters well since Rice joined. The attack was a bit more iffy initially but it got a lot better too after Jan. Havertz stated kicking on, Rice in the advanced role doing well, Saka seems to have improved significantly from the first half of the season etc.

Ultimately there's only a single point in it and I think it'll become a mentality / experience thing more than just talent. You'd always back Pool and City to turn draws into wins .. not sure about Arsenal when the chips are down. The Brentford game was a good data point for that but that might have gone quite a bit differently too if Brentford took one of their chances. Let's see. I hope you guys win.

wr8_utd

:'(
Reminds me of all their fans on here last year, newbs or not.
All their fans ever. For a club that has won absolutely nothing of note in two decades, the cockiness and arrogance in them is nothing short of miraculous. It really is a tough choice between them and Liverpool for the title.

pacifictheme

Can't believe it's come to hoping arsenal win the league.

Watched the 2 nil match highlights earlier to cleanse myself a bit.

erikcred

The gone backwards thing is strange to me - Even the eye test said Arsenal were so much better defensively this season than last and basically always controlled games, mopped up counters well since Rice joined. The attack was a bit more iffy initially but it got a lot better too after Jan. Havertz stated kicking on, Rice in the advanced role doing well, Saka seems to have improved significantly from the first half of the season etc.

Ultimately there's only a single point in it and I think it'll become a mentality / experience thing more than just talent. You'd always back Pool and City to turn draws into wins .. not sure about Arsenal when the chips are down. The Brentford game was a good data point for that but that might have gone quite a bit differently too if Brentford took one of their chances. Let's see. I hope you guys win.
So, until Jan, it seemed like they had gone backwards compared to the red hot pace they set last season. Nothing strange here.

erikcred

All their fans ever. For a club that has won absolutely nothing of note in two decades, the cockiness and arrogance in them is nothing short of miraculous. It really is a tough choice between them and Liverpool for the title.
It does seem like they're begging for a cull too.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yup. Still hope they'll win it this year! The lesser of too many evils, and might get us rid of some annoying posters on here.

wr8_utd

:'(
Yup. Still hope they'll win it this year! The lesser of too many evils, and might get us rid of some annoying posters on here.
I think it says a lot about how their fans are that even in a choice between Arsenal and Liverpool, which should be really easy, it makes you pause for a little bit.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
god these arsenal fans sound terrible
Fans are always unbearable when they are actually happy with their team. It’s much more fun for opposition fans when rivals fans teams are moaning because their teams are shit. Although we do have a few like most fan bases that go overboard.

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
"Arsenal have lost their last five home knockout matches in the Champions League AND they haven't won any of their last five knockout home legs at Emirates Stadium in the Europa League either (D3 L2)."

Bloody hell, that's atrocious!

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
This is a different Arsenal from those previous iterations. Would have wised up from the first leg too. I reckon it will be comfortable. 4-0.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
"Arsenal have lost their last five home knockout matches in the Champions League AND they haven't won any of their last five knockout home legs at Emirates Stadium in the Europa League either (D3 L2)."

Here are those scores. Really poor.

Champions League

Bayern '17 - 1-5 (Arsenal lost the away leg 5-1)
Barcelona '16 - 0-2 (Arsenal lost the away leg 3-1)
Monaco '15 - 1-3 (Arsenal won the away leg 2-0)
Bayern '14 - 0-2 (Drew the away leg 1-1)
Bayern '13 - 1-3 (Arsenal won the away leg 2-0)

Europa League

Sporting '23 - 1-1 (Arsenal drew away leg 2-2)
Villareal '21 - 0-0 (Arsenal got beat away leg 2-1)
Sparta '21 - 1-1 (Arsenal won the away leg 4-0)
Olympiacos '21 - 0-1 (Arsenal won the away leg 3-1)
Olympiacos '20 - 1-2 (Arsenal won the away leg 1-0)

erikcred

This is a different Arsenal from those previous iterations. Would have wised up from the first leg too. I reckon it will be comfortable. 4-0.
I'm guessing Liverpool fans are hoping for City and Arsenal to make it to the Semis and get knocked out after extra time.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'm guessing Liverpool fans are hoping for City and Arsenal to make it to the Semis and get knocked out after extra time.
No, Arsenal are my second team. :nervous:

Joking aside, the best scenario is extra time tonight though pointless with internationals coming along. Then Arsenal meet City in the next round. Goes to extra time in the second leg.

Robertd0803

On the one hand it wouldnt be City or Liverpool winning the league, however theres the very real possibility of Arsenal winning the league at Old Trafford for the second time in history and once is bad enough for that shit.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
An extremely uncomfortable 3-0 win tonight. They'll get beat up, roughed up, pushed off their minds, but still find a way to score 3 goals within the very few moments of actual football Porto will allow them

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
On the one hand it wouldnt be City or Liverpool winning the league, however theres the very real possibility of Arsenal winning the league at Old Trafford for the second time in history and once is bad enough for that shit.
There’s a real chance all three sides end up with matches rescheduled into the midweek after that fixture, making it effectively game week 36. It seems unlikely anybody will have the title won by then.

Robertd0803

There’s a real chance all three sides end up with matches rescheduled into the midweek after that fixture, making it effectively game week 36. It seems unlikely anybody will have the title won by then.
Might be an escape so for us so hopefully.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

How many of these were against us (Bayern)?

Nvm, already answered :D