Auction-Trade Madness Draft - R1: P-Nut vs crappy/Indnyc

With players at career peak, who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
VS

.................... TEAM P-NUT ...................................................................... TEAM CRAPPY/INDNYC ...............................

TEAM P-NUT

Player Name - Player Position - Player Role

Thibaut Courtois - Goalkeeper - Conventional
Carlos Alberto - Right back - Attack Minded
Ciro Ferrara - Centre back - Stopper
Laurent Blanc - Centre back - Sweeper
Patrice Evra - Left back - Balanced
Jimmy Johnstone - Right Midfield - Dribbler
Micheal Carrick - Central Midfield - Deep Lying Playmaker
Nobby Stiles - Central Midfield - Destroyer
Pavel Nedved - Left Midfield - Floating Link
Socrates (C) - Attacking Midfield - Advanced Playmaker
Alberto Spencer - Striker - Physical Presence

Team Style

Dictate the game with a low block containing the opposition and allowing them possession in easy to contain areas.

Lots of players comfortable with the ball when we regain possession to ensure we can hurt the opposition.

The Opposition

1. Crappy/Indnyc - (1) D. Irwin (2) D. Maradona (3) D. Alaba (4) F. Hierro (5) R. Clemence (6) T. Silva (7) M. Kempes (8) E. Abidal (9) R. Keane (10) Riva (11) A. Sanchez (12) S. Lerby
Solid team with an obvious stand out in Maradona. Instead of dictating an individual to man mark him I'm tasking the midfield with keeping the gap between defence and midfield small and allowing both Carrick and Stiles to limit the space he has to operate in.

Good luck @Indnyc @crappycraperson[/QUOTE]

TEAM CRAPPY/INDNYC

Team IndnyCrappy

We are playing with a 3-4-1-2 formation to maximize the impact of our key players in Maradona, Keane, Riva and Kempes. Most importantly the set up is geared towards letting Maradona perform at his best.

Key Tactics
  • Mario Kempes is playing as a second striker while Gigi Riva is playing in his favored central striker position where he was incredibly effective for both Italy and Cagliari. Kempes is the perfect forward in this set up to compliment both Riva and Maradona since he is capable of creating spaces for either and capable of linking up well too.
  • Maradona is given a free role behind the two to play his natural game and run the show. Neither or even combined might of Stiles and Carrick is capable of stopping him.
  • Keane and Lerby will play high energy football. Combined with Maradona, our MF 3 is on a different tier to the opposition.
  • In Defence, Hierro will have the freedom to play from the back and join the midfield battle if required. He will definitely come out at times to close down space even further for Socrates. Abidal and Silva occupy traditional CB positions with each capable of covering for their respective full back.
  • Out on wings, we have two dynamic wing backs in Alaba and Irwin. Irwin needs no introduction and is well capable of running either flank, drumming down crosses as required while Alaba is one of the best modern full backs about and would absolutely relish this kind of role in a 3412 formation.
Player Profiles
  • Soren Lerby : Lerby was the driving force for the midfields of Ajax, Bayern, Denmark and PSV. Bayern purchased him to replace Paul Breitner and won 2 Bundesligas and 2 DFB-Pokal Cups. He had an a great left leg and was a brilliant B2B player
  • Luigi Riva : Italy's all time goal scorer. One club man who despite playing for one of the smaller sides in Italy in Cagliari finished top goalscorer in the Serie A for 2 seasons. Widely considered the most talented forward in Italy, between 1968-1970 Riva finished 6th, 2nd and 3rd in the Ballon D'Or - with Gerd Müller his only rival in this period for the title of Europe's best striker. His strike rate for Italy was an outstanding 35 Goals in 42 Games!!

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Erm yeah I like Carrick and all but...

Indnyc

Our biggest strength in this game is the midfield and attack where we have clear advantages.

Lerby, Keane and Maradona form a very strong midfield when you consider we play 3 at the back. Kempes and Riva form a fearsome strike partnership which I would back to score against any defense.

On the other hand we have Stiles, Carrick and Socrates. As much as I love both Carrick and Stiles (We used Stiles in our last draft) they are a tier below our midfield. Carrick is excellent when he has time on the ball but he isn’t going to be afforded that.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Can you enlarge P-Nut's formation or shrink Indnyc/crap formation? They are a big visual difference

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Instead of dictating an individual to man mark him I'm tasking the midfield with keeping the gap between defence and midfield small and allowing both Carrick and Stiles to limit the space he has to operate in.
@P-Nut0712 You really should have gotten Stiles to man-mark Maradona. I don't see a lot of creativity in opponent's team if Maradona was marked. They'd be reduced to crosses from wongbacks and headers.

Indnyc

@P-Nut0712 You really should have gotten Stiles to man-mark Maradona. I don't see a lot of creativity in opponent's team if Maradona was marked. They'd be reduced to crosses from wongbacks and headers.
It’s not like Stiles would be able to do a great job on Maradona.. I really like Stiles but he needs a better midfield partner for that to work.

In addition with Riva and Kempes there is enough creativity in th team

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It’s not like Stiles would be able to do a great job on Maradona.. I really like Stiles but he needs a better midfield partner for that to work.

Good team you have. But Maradona is a key link. Without him bridging the gap, Riva/kempes would need to drop deep and that's not a effective use of them.

But in theory, if I needed a manmarker on Diego, it'd be between Stiles and Gentile for the job.

Moby

Dick
Good team you have. But Maradona is a key link. Without him bridging the gap, Riva/kempes would need to drop deep and that's not a effective use of them.

But in theory, if I needed a manmarker on Diego, it'd be between Stiles and Gentile for the job.
It would be Matthaus by far ahead of anyone, for one thing he has actually marked Maradona and Diego went on to say Lothar was the toughest opponent he faced. Unlike Gentile Matthaus can mark a player without tearing his shirt apart.

Do think you love Stiles a bit much especially in terms of regarding him as a GOAT man marker. He did a fine job on Eusebio yes but there are a few better names for that job in the grand scheme of things.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It would be Matthaus by far ahead of anyone, for one thing he has actually marked Maradona and Diego went on to say Lothar was the toughest opponent he faced. Unlike Gentile Matthaus can mark a player without tearing his shirt apart.

Do think you love Stiles a bit much especially in terms of regarding him as a GOAT man marker. He did a fine job on Eusebio yes but there are a few better names for that job in the grand scheme of things.
I always think man markers get a short shift in these drafts. I hold Gentile and Stiles in great regard. Despite their hacking rough style (as fear factor was an important part of game those days) they were intelligent players and not just lumbering brutes. Gentile used to put in serious study on playing styles of whoever his opponent is. Stiles had a exceptional reading of the game. Charlton himself commented that when they sensed an attack, Stiles would already be there shutting it down. The tactical nous and intelligence of Stiles in sniffing out attacks is very underrated.

As to Matthaus, yes he's part of the equation. It's like Charlton vs Beckenbauer cancelling each other out. But in truth Matthaus is too good a player to be used as a man marker. I'd still stick with Stiles and Gentile as my primary choices.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I like both teams tbh and think P-nut actually has a decent team to stop Maradona. Put Stiles on him and Carrick is pretty much the perfect guy to close the gaps that Stiles leaves....problem is, in other team you have Keane as well so he would dominate them while they are focused fully on Diego.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Kempes seems to be one of the most underrated players in drafts. He had one of the great individual showings at an international tournament at WC 78, and an brilliant goalscoring record at his peak in an otherwise mediocre Valencia team. I love his playing style, a proper livewire of a forward, but he rarely seems to get much traction on here.

Was curious to see what sort of reception Maradona and Kempes playing together received as they didn't set the world alight at WC 82, but in fairness Kempes was probably on the decline by then.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Riva/kempes would need to drop deep and that's not a effective use of them
There's nothing wrong at all with Kempes dropping deep. His surges forward with the ball from deeper areas were brilliant, and a prominent feature of his game. My only question mark about that frontline is whether it would be natural for him to defer to Diego in terms of the ball-carrying, and focus on off the ball movement instead. Having Kempes around to drop deep would be a great alternative means of building attacks though if Maradona was getting man-marked.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Reason I didn't man mark Maradona was because as good as Stiles is Maradona would most likely eventually come out on top.

With Carrick covering space combined with Stiles harrasing Maradona I felt like I'd be able to shut him down.

Think Carricks peak is being ignored or slightly underated to be honest. The guy held our midfield together single handedly with a mismatch of partners whilst we still went on being successful.

Pairing him with someone of Stiles calibre in the defensive aspects of the game would allow him to get on the ball and allow us to build forward.

Keane is a major problem, I won't deny that, however it's not quite the mismatch it's being pictured as. If you had to place Carrick in a list of our top midfielders he wouldn't place too far down the list really.

Besides the midfield battle my defence comes out on top for me personally. Abidal whilst I understand the positioning, obviously isn't in the position he made his name, and I'd back Spencer to take advantage of that.

Seen as how I've ended up actually debating this I'll post a few of the pieces I dragged together in preparation now

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
One of the most feared defenders of his generation, Ciro Ferrara had already built up quite a resume before joining Juventus from Napoli.

Playing in 253 games for the Bianconeri, Ferrara was the heart of a team that won six league titles, a Champions League, an Intercontinental Cup, the InterToto and a European Super Cup.

Overshadowed by other greats like Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini, Ferrara never received the international recognition he deserved. But around Italy and in Turin, he is remembered as one of the greatest Italian defenders to ever play the game.

In a period of 11 years at the club, Ferrara was one of the few players who was always guaranteed a starting berth when fit. He was consistently world-class for the entire length of his Juventus career, in which he made 358 appearances for the Old Lady and scored 20 important goals for them.

His presence in the backline gave them the proverbial ‘rock at the back’ that every elite team needs, as they won 6 Serie A titles, a Champions League, an Intercontinental Cup and a Coppa Italia during his tenure at the club.

Ferrara’s positioning, silky style of play with the ball and his typically Italian no-holds-barred approach to marking allowed him to dominate at his position even in his late-30s, and many critics regard that his overall influence on the game actually grew from what it was before he moved to Juventus.

A classical winger, famed for his dynamic speed, immaculate control and ability to go outside the opposing full back, he was capped 23 times for Scotland, and scored 129 goals in 515 appearances for Celtic. In a poll among the fans in 2002, he was voted the club's best ever player.

The following season saw Celtic's triumphant path to the European Cup final. In Nantes, in the first leg of the second round, Johnstone's form was irresistible; the French press nicknamed him the Flying Flea. In the Lisbon final against Inter Milan, Johnstone and the other Celtic winger, Bobby Lennox, had orders to move into the middle, leaving the flanks to the attacking full-backs.

Brian Wilson writes: For that generation of supporters who saw Celtic become the first British club to win the European Cup, Jimmy Johnstone was the epitome of all that was best in the way their team played football - a brilliant entertainer, possessed of wonderful balance, great speed and dazzling skill. And all the better for the fact that he was one of themselves; a local boy with a genius for football.

When people and experts look back into the glory days of Manchester United, Denis Law, George Best and Bobby Charlton are the names that are usually chalked up, and once more Nobby is forgotten. A Champion team is formed only when there is a mixture of players, a different blend of players in the side. The inclusion of Stiles in the team provided just that. You had George Best who was the master of dribbling, Denis Law who had almost perfect overhead kicks, Bobby Charlton who could score from distance, and finally Nobby Stiles and Pat Crerand who were the master minds of every United attack.

However, Stiles is remembered for doing the impossible. He man-marked Portugese playmeker Eusebio during the semi final match where the 3 Lions triumphed 2-1. His man marking skills rendered Eusebio completely ineffective even in the 1968 European Champion’s League final, where United beat Benfica 4-1 in a humdinger of a final.

A pacy centre-forward who was equally confortable shooting with either foot, perhaps Spencer's greatest attribute was his ability in the air where no less a figure than Pelé described him as one of the finest headers of the ball he had ever seen. Having broken into the first team at Everest in the 1955 season, he spend the next few years scoring goals at a prolific rate. With Ecuador due to host the South American Championship in December 1959, Spencer broke into the national team just in time to star in that competition.

Indnyc

Reason I didn't man mark Maradona was because as good as Stiles is Maradona would most likely eventually come out on top.

With Carrick covering space combined with Stiles harrasing Maradona I felt like I'd be able to shut him down.

Think Carricks peak is being ignored or slightly underated to be honest. The guy held our midfield together single handedly with a mismatch of partners whilst we still went on being successful.

Pairing him with someone of Stiles calibre in the defensive aspects of the game would allow him to get on the ball and allow us to build forward.

Keane is a major problem, I won't deny that, however it's not quite the mismatch it's being pictured as. If you had to place Carrick in a list of our top midfielders he wouldn't place too far down the list really.

Besides the midfield battle my defence comes out on top for me personally. Abidal whilst I understand the positioning, obviously isn't in the position he made his name, and I'd back Spencer to take advantage of that.

Seen as how I've ended up actually debating this I'll post a few of the pieces I dragged together in preparation now
I love your defense! I would agree in terms of personnel your defense is stronger. Hard luck with the match. I do feel a stronger player than Carrick would have made this a closer match.