Baltimore bridge collapse

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's not typical but when they do they spread the risk by using reinsurance and reinsurers spread that risk by using other reinsurers or pooling to limit individual exposure to a massive loss event.
Yep, as someone in reinsurance it's likely the largest marine loss in history, after the Boeing madness it's a rough Q1!!

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I think we can't know until the report comes out. Personally I think they aimed for the pillar thinking it would stop the vessel and cause less damage. There were cars and people on the bridge and if they hit that they knew they would have taken that part of the bridge apart and not stopped likely killing everyone on there at the time and definitely destroying the bridge before continuing on out of control and without power.

I don't think they thought for one minute if they hit where they did that the entire bridge would have collapsed. If I was at the helm I would have done exactly the same (if it was intentional) and of course, that's just my opinion of what happened.
I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by aiming for the pillar instead of the bridge? Isn't the only part of the bridge they could hit the pillar? Sorry for the daft question.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by aiming for the pillar instead of the bridge? Isn't the only part of the bridge they could hit the pillar? Sorry for the daft question.
I see what you mean. I just meant from the videos I've seen the ship makes a noticeable course correction and slams in to the pillar.

Before it was going between pillars. From some video clips and angles it definitely looks intentional and as if they wanted to stop the ship rather than going through the actual.bridge. Those bridges all have cables and taking the middle parts would take them out so imho hitting the pillar would be the safest or most sensible option, although sadly that wasn't the case.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Perhaps it doesn't need to be.

I know aircraft are held to higher standards but there's no testing for selecting reverse thrust whilst airborne; no pilot would ever do it and if they tried the aircraft says no.

I'd assume anybody licensed to steer a 300m ship knows not to do it but the panic sets in and who knows. They were supposedly heading for the bridge span so likely panicked and inadvertently steered towards the one bit of the bridge that would be worse to hit.
Makes sense. Thank you.

I think we can't know until the report comes out. Personally I think they aimed for the pillar thinking it would stop the vessel and cause less damage. There were cars and people on the bridge and if they hit that they knew they would have taken that part of the bridge apart and not stopped likely killing everyone on there at the time and definitely destroying the bridge before continuing on out of control and without power.

I don't think they thought for one minute if they hit where they did that the entire bridge would have collapsed. If I was at the helm I would have done exactly the same (if it was intentional) and of course, that's just my opinion of what happened.
They probably thought they would hit the concrete abutment without realising the bow protruded enough over the bulb to strike the main structure.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I’m sure the pentagon could forgo some new toy it absolutely doesn’t need to make the funds available.

Camilo

I’m sure the pentagon could forgo some new toy it absolutely doesn’t need to make the funds available.
I dunno, those Iranians have some pretty modern looking 2 way radios and remote control planes...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol:

You don't actually think they spend $20,000 on a hammer and $30,000 on a toilet seat do you? :lol:
:lol: I’m sure a $20 hammer will easily be $20,000 once you factor in the admin process, the 68 signatories required, the commission for the dozen middlemen who facilitate the contracts and the contractor uplifts.