Beer Draft - R1 - Himannv vs Physio

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
HIMANNV:

PHYSIO:

HIMANNV TACTICS:

Formation: 4-3-3

Tactics: Total football

Writeup:

PHYSIO TACTICS:

Tactics – Direct/ Mixed
Formation – 433
Defensive Line – Balanced
Marking – Zonal

Denis Law is playing largely as an inside right which allows him to come deeper and get more involved in the game as he preferred to do rather than being stuck up front. The width will be primarily then provided by Kaltz who will play similar to a wing back as Briegel will be very reserved. KDB will link with Barnes on the left (KDB is mostly known for liking the inside right channel but is comfortable wide left too), Bastian is his peak B2B self and Souness will hold the fort. To cap off the attack, we have the imperious Marco van Basten who will be more than happy with the supply from Barnes, KDB and Kaltz.

I watched this video recently and it reminded me of how ridiculously complete van Basten was:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Lovely, intriguing teams here. Proper Cruyff set-up from Himannv, with the unexpected touches of Gullit at DM and Sammer in midfield. Gullit seems right at home there, and I'm interested to see what people think of Sammer in this tactic. For Physio, I'm particularly gladdened to see Barnes making a too rare draft appearance, and looking like an ideal foil for van Basten.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Don't really like Gullit as DM. He played as sweeper for Chelsea but wasn't really a successful stint before switching back to midfield.

For Physio, I'd swap Schweini and Souness. Barnes will have success against Suurbier too.
@harms Did Gullit play DM much before Chelsea? I seem to remember he did for PSV at times although I could be wrong.

I can see the point on Bastian and Souness but I liked the slightly earlier Bastian who had more of an engine to get up and down. Also whilst Souness tends to be described as a B2B from watching a number of videos he was mostly a DM who got forward a few times in a match. Nothing like Robson or early Keane.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
For Physio, I'm particularly gladdened to see Barnes making a too rare draft appearance, and looking like an ideal foil for van Basten.
I wanted a proper left-footed LW who was relaitively hardworking and also had a good footballing brain, so Barnes was the man. Also in this kind of setup he would get a decent number of goals. He got 15 goals in 38 games in his first season at LM at Liverpool then obviously got more as an SS. So as an LW in a league season I can see him hitting high teens.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
For Physio I thought this was going to be 4-4-2. In fact it looked like the most 4-4-2 team I'd seen for a while - a defence that is happy to knock it long, a balanced midfield four, and a proper strike partnership who can hold it in and work across the defence.

For Himmanv the Gullit move is interesting. I get he can play anywhere and he'd make a brilliant 6, doing that a bit at Chelsea, and with his sweeper time from PSV too. But I'm not quite sure what his role tactically is here in the context of this game - he almost looks like a nice luxury who isn't influencing things that much? Be good to understand your view. It's nice to see Sammer freed up for a change in more of an expansive box-to-box role.

Himannv

To provide some info on Gullit, I took some inspiration from a couple of @harms videos.

He's playing Sweeper in these videos obviously, but if you notice his positioning, he's often playing just ahead of the backline where he wins the ball and distributes it very effectively.

The attacking phase of the total football system generally involves the team being more expansive and spread out more while being more compact in the defensive phase. Distribution to wider areas becomes very useful in this system and Gullit, for me, does that very well if you look at the videos above, while also being great defensively.

He's also quite mobile and his versatility makes him a perfect fit for a total football system. One other aspect is that it frees up Sammer to play a more box-to-box role and I think he'll thrive at that in this system.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I've watched quite a bit of the Gullit video. He plays the sweeper role very well. My concern with him in your setup is that he will often be picking up the ball with his back facing Neeskens and Sammer. This is a very different role than seeing all the pitch in front of him as he does in the video. I'm not saying he can't do it but with my tenancious pressers this will put him under a lot of pressure.

Kudos for trying him there though, I do like it when drafters are more creative with player roles.

Himannv

I've watched quite a bit of the Gullit video. He plays the sweeper role very well. My concern with him in your setup is that he will often be picking up the ball with his back facing Neeskens and Sammer. This is a very different role than seeing all the pitch in front of him as he does in the video. I'm not saying he can't do it but with my tenancious pressers this will put him under a lot of pressure.
Gullit should be quite comfortable at this in my view. He's strong on the ball and no stranger to receiving it with his back to play. He's also flanked by Neeskens and Sammer who will both help him out.

KDB is the only one I can see who might press him from the way you have set up and I think I fancy Gullit to deal with that.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Gullit should be quite comfortable at this in my view. He's strong on the ball and no stranger to receiving it with his back to play. He's also flanked by Neeskens and Sammer who will both help him out.

KDB is the only one I can see who might press him from the way you have set up and I think I fancy Gullit to deal with that.
He is very used to playing with his back to goal but he needs to be much safer with the ball than he is used and any loose balls will be much more of a problem at DM than as an RW or SS.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
For Physio, your team could go both ways in 4-4-2 or accommodate atypical 4-2-3-1 with Law as an RW. Bastian and Souness' partnership will foil perfectly and balance because both have great passing range and could bring the ball forward. They are also elite two-way midfielders who will shine the most in dual partnerships in 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1.

Like the idea of Gullit as a CDM, I think he will do fine here with his all-around skillset.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
For Physio, your team could go both ways in 4-4-2 or accommodate atypical 4-2-3-1 with Law as an RW. Bastian and Souness' partnership will foil perfectly and balance because both have great passing range and could bring the ball forward. They are also elite two-way midfielders who will shine the most in dual partnerships in 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1.
Yeah, that's a possibility. I wanted KDB in the inside left channel to support Barnes but could work as a 4231. TBF I don't think it would work that much differently from an asymmetric 4231 anyway.

Himannv

Like the idea of Gullit as a CDM, I think he will do fine here with his all-around skillset.
Yeah, I think he's a good fit. I'm still not sure I understand what the concerns were with him in this role. Maybe it's due to less examples of him actually playing there during his peak, which is understandable. I feel there's enough evidence to suggest he'd be great at it since Sweeper is a very smooth transition to DM in my view as you're generally dealing with similar concerns and playing in a similar way.