Best XI?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I don't think our best XI has ever been contentious than it is currently, even last season our back 5 was solid with even Casemiro, Bruno, Rashford etc in front, I've never seen as many different variations in the match day threads as I see now, interested to know what positions are up for debate and which are nailed on, for me there are 5 nailed on positions, Martinez, Shaw, Bruno, Garnacho & Hojlund.

Assuming everybody is fit what do you believe as it stands if everybody were suddenly available is our strongest XI? Mine would be:

Onana
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo
Amad Bruno Garnacho
Hojlund

I know people will complain no Martial, Rashford etc but that's the team I would play, what positions are contentious do you feel? Who would you swap? I realise Amad is my wildcard but based on his ability I saw last year the way he played football being a difference maker and playing for the team I believe is more conducive for the team raising their performance.

Currently I’d say it’s probably something like this.

Onana
Bissaka-Varane-Martinez-Shaw
Casemiro-Eriksen
Rashford-Bruno-Garnacho
Hojlund
Some are in there because we just don’t have other options and near their best form this lot are probably our best. Going forward that isn’t the team I’d want to see though.

Currently I’d say it’s probably something like this.

Onana
Casemiro-Eriksen
Rashford-Bruno-Garnacho
Hojlund
Some are in there because we just don’t have other options and near their best form this lot are probably our best. Going forward that isn’t the team I’d want to see though.

So at this stage you would say Rashford gets in for you? Can I ask why? I'm not disagreeing just curious to know why as unless he hits his purple patch then his all round play seems detrimental to the team.

Ten Haags best 11 if everyone is fit and in form . Who are we to argue. Maybe Varane but he seems to be done with him

Onana
Bissaka-Maguire-Martinez-Shaw
Casemiro-Mount
Antony-Bruno-Rashford
Hojlund

Last edited:
Probably something like this:

Onana
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo
Rashford Bruno Garnacho
Hojlund

But until we see Martinez and Casemiro fit something is bound to change and it's impossible to predict or to use our best 11 constantly. Also Varane can't play 2 consecutive games.

Onana
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Mainoo Casemiro Bruno
Rashford Hojlund Garnacho

I don't think our best XI has ever been contentious than it is currently, even last season our back 5 was solid with even Casemiro, Bruno, Rashford etc in front, I've never seen as many different variations in the match day threads as I see now, interested to know what positions are up for debate and which are nailed on, for me there are 5 nailed on positions, Martinez, Shaw, Bruno, Garnacho & Hojlund.

Assuming everybody is fit what do you believe as it stands if everybody were suddenly available is our strongest XI? Mine would be:

Onana
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo
Amad Bruno Garnacho
Hojlund

I know people will complain no Martial, Rashford etc but that's the team I would play, what positions are contentious do you feel? Who would you swap? I realise Amad is my wildcard but based on his ability I saw last year the way he played football being a difference maker and playing for the team I believe is more conducive for the team raising their performance.

Anyone who complains about that is an idiot.

So at this stage you would say Rashford gets in for you? Can I ask why? I'm not disagreeing just curious to know why as unless he hits his purple patch then his all round play seems detrimental to the team.
In an ideal world he, Bruno and a few others wouldn’t get in but we don’t really have any better options that have proven they can operate at a higher standard.

Even if I did remove Rashford the only real option there is Anthony who has been worse. Pellestri and Amad still have to prove themselves if given the opportunities

I need to see Mainoo play more. I thought he was brilliant against Everton, but I actually thought he made us significantly worse when he came on for Amrabat against Galatasaray. There were suddenly massive gaps being exploited in the left half space. I'm not sure why this was such an issue because Mainoo had actually done very well in that deeper position linking defence and midfield against Everton. Need to see how he does in future games, especially alongside Casemiro. McTominay scores goals but he also does nothing else that you want you're midfielder to do and makes us unable to control games effectively. However, most just see goals and assume that means a player has played well or makes the team better. For me, he's still a better option coming off the bench.

Nobody has looked good on the rw but Garnacho has earned his starting spot and Rashford's been poor from both the left and right this season. Maguire's been our best cb this season which is a bit of a shock, but it's true. Dalot's had some really good games and also some terrible games, so hard to say who to pick at rb. I still think both our options there are big problems that need to be addressed in the transfer market.

I'd probably go with this but I certainly think there are a lot of weaknesses in the XI:

Onana
Dalot Maguire Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo/Amrabat
Rashford Bruno Garnacho
Hojlund​

Whisper it but he's been fit last couple of weeks. Assuming both are fit would you start him over Hojlund?

I think Martial has good qualities, technically he's got great skill and hold up play, he's a good finisher, he's not a running pressing type of player but he's very good at blocking off passing lines.

But he's been at the club for 7/8 years and has been injured or underperforming for about half of that time. That loss against Sheffield Utd where he was just standing there whilst everyone else ran around him, that was the moment I gave up on him. If it were up to me, he'd never have played for the club again after that. Hojlund is one for the future, if both are fit, there's no chance would I sacrifice his game time development to give Martial any more starts.

Agree with the Amad inclusion. Just don’t see how Rashford should still be included as an auto starter with how terrible he’s been both in front of goal and in general play this year, especially playing out of position on the right. Hojlund v Martial is tough if both are fit. Probably would choose Hojlund. Casemiro/Mainoo/Bruno is obviously the best midfield we can field.

I think Martial has good qualities, technically he's got great skill and hold up play, he's a good finisher, he's not a running pressing type of player but he's very good at blocking off passing lines.

But he's been at the club for 7/8 years and has been injured or underperforming for about half of that time. That loss against Sheffield Utd where he was just standing there whilst everyone else ran around him, that was the moment I gave up on him. If it were up to me, he'd never have played for the club again after that. Hojlund is one for the future, if both are fit, there's no chance would I sacrifice his game time development to give Martial any more starts.
I get many have given up on him but I think he's a superior player to Hojlund. I have no doubts he'll be injured soon but, until that day, give me one last Martial FC swansong.

I get many have given up on him but I think he's a superior player to Hojlund. I have no doubts he'll be injured soon but, until that day, give me one last Martial FC swansong.

Play them together. I imagine Martial would be the perfect partner to someone like Hojlund.

Onana
Varane-Lindelof-Martinez-
Bissaka——Casemiro-Mainoo——-Shaw
Bruno
Martial-Hojlund
Or go some variation of 442

Play them together. I imagine Martial would be the perfect partner to someone like Hojlund.

Onana
Varane-Lindelof-Martinez-
Bissaka——Casemiro-Mainoo——-Shaw
Bruno
Martial-Hojlund
Or go some variation of 442
Feel like 5 at the back had its day and has gone away a bit now?

Onana
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo
Amad Bruno Garnacho
Hojlund​
Probably the same one for me, unless Rashford suddenly finds his form again.

It shocks me how many people put Rashford in our best 11.

I'd go with:

Onana

AWB Varane Martinez Shaw

Casemiro Mainoo

???* Bruno Garnacho

Hojlund

* = No good options here, I guess one of Sancho, Amad, pellestri.

Onana - Wan-Bissaka Maguire Martínez Shaw - Fernandes Casemiro Mainoo - Antony Hojlund Rashford

Onana
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo
Amad Bruno Garnacho
Hojlund

Garnacho is not remotely "nailed on" as the first XI left winger, in my view.

Assuming that everyone is still here and fit in the new year, I would want to see something like this become the default team:

-------------------------Højlund-------------------------
Garnacho--------------------------------------Amad
---------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------Bruno----------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------
-------------Casemiro--------Mainoo---------------
Shaw------------------------------------------------AWB
------------------Martinez---Varane------------------
--------------------------Onana----------------------------

I'll enjoy it when he scores and does well, I just won't be getting my hopes up.

I'll enjoy it when he scores and does well, I just won't be getting my hopes up.
Conundrum for you, what if he now has a good season - let's say he starts and scores 15 PL goals from now on - unlikely but you never know if we hit some form. Do you say thanks for the time but Hojlund is No1, or do you try and keep him. I assume most people have been burnt too many times by the Martial hope so also same question if he scored 25 goals.

Garnacho is not remotely "nailed on" as the first XI left winger, in my view.

So present an alternative, the amount putting Rashford in their teams shocks me as when he's not in form which is half of his career, he doesn't get assists or provide hard work, I don't see it.

I need to see Mainoo play more. I thought he was brilliant against Everton, but I actually thought he made us significantly worse when he came on for Amrabat against Galatasaray. There were suddenly massive gaps being exploited in the left half space. I'm not sure why this was such an issue because Mainoo had actually done very well in that deeper position linking defence and midfield against Everton. Need to see how he does in future games, especially alongside Casemiro. McTominay scores goals but he also does nothing else that you want you're midfielder to do and makes us unable to control games effectively. However, most just see goals and assume that means a player has played well or makes the team better. For me, he's still a better option coming off the bench.

Nobody has looked good on the rw but Garnacho has earned his starting spot and Rashford's been poor from both the left and right this season. Maguire's been our best cb this season which is a bit of a shock, but it's true. Dalot's had some really good games and also some terrible games, so hard to say who to pick at rb. I still think both our options there are big problems that need to be addressed in the transfer market.

I'd probably go with this but I certainly think there are a lot of weaknesses in the XI:

Onana
Dalot Maguire Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo/Amrabat
Rashford Bruno Garnacho
Hojlund​

another factor in that was Martial coming on, our front 3 had been pressing as a unit , when Hojlund went off, we lost that pressure he was putting their defence under. With Martial on, they could play out from the back making space available further up the pitch. Martial can have his uses but pressing isn't one of them.

Based on our current fit starting 11 id look at...

Onana

Dalot
Maguire
Lindelof
Shaw

Mctominay
Mainoo

Antony
Bruno
Garnacho

Hojlund

Conundrum for you, what if he now has a good season - let's say he starts and scores 15 PL goals from now on - unlikely but you never know if we hit some form. Do you say thanks for the time but Hojlund is No1, or do you try and keep him. I assume most people have been burnt too many times by the Martial hope so also same question if he scored 25 goals.

He could score 40 goals between now and the end of the season and I still wouldn't give him a new deal.

Onana
Casemiro-Mainoo
Bruno-Mount-Garnacho
Hojlund

It's considerably more shocking how many people seem to think a player who so far has only performed well in the Championship and has spent the last 4 months injured is a better option than a player who literally scored 30 goals last season.

It's considerably more shocking how many people seem to think a player who so far has only performed well in the Championship and has spent the last 4 months injured is a better option than a player who literally scored 30 goals last season.
Garnacho was injured?

No it isnt considering Rashfords form this season. There are valid reasons to prefer either one.

He's horribly out of form, but the fact remains he's the only one in our squad capable of 30 goals a season.

We relied on his goals so heavily last season and nothing around him has improved.

An in form Rashford is our only (slim) hope of top 4 this season.

Our best shout this year is trying to play Rashford into form, while giving valuable minutes to Amad here and there

So present an alternative, the amount putting Rashford in their teams shocks me as when he's not in form which is half of his career, he doesn't get assists or provide hard work, I don't see it.

Rashford, obviously. You can make a case for Garnacho right now, but Rashford's proven top level is way higher than Garnachos. The Rashford we saw six months ago hasn't disappeared. If that shocks you, give yourself a good shake.