• Physio wins by 2 goals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Physio wins by 3 goals

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think there lies the problem with Rivaldo and Zico working in the same zone. You'll have Zico dropping back as a false nine and in the same time Rivaldo tucking in from inside left.
When you bolded my quote you missed as before in reference to Rivaldo. The same option is as before was saying Rivaldo provides similar options on the counter and slower build up attacks

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Looks like this is over. Well played @Enigma_87 @MJJ

I would though have played a 433

-------------Cruyff------
Henry------------------Figo
-----Gerson----Effenburg
-----------der Kaiser-------
-------------Back 4------------

More opportunity for Beckenbauer to get forward and no Giggs Henry problem.

Would like some thoughts from anybody on my WM side? I do think the back 5 personal fit the system quite well

MJJ

Looks like this is over. Well played @Enigma_87 @MJJ

I would though have played a 433

-------------Cruyff------
Henry------------------Figo
-----Gerson----Effenburg
-----------der Kaiser-------
-------------Back 4------------

More opportunity for Beckenbauer to get forward and no Giggs Henry problem.

Would like some thoughts from anybody on my WM side? I do think the back 5 personal fit the system quite well
Henry as a LW is an option, but we wanted cruyff in his best position from where he could influence the pitch the most hence the 4-2-3-1.

I still believe young giggs can work very well with henry, he was more of a wing-forward than a traditional winger.

Enigma_87

You know who
Thanks
@Physiocrat .

I'm not sure why Henry/Giggs is an issue here. I think both can work very well together. The reason we went with the above is Cruyff - having 2 wide man that can also come inside is what we're looking in a team that would have Cruyff as a orchestra in the middle.

I think you did well with the initial formation to mask Vieri and dropping him but IMO would've done better with a CB rather than Zico(at least my thoughts). Maybe I'm a bit harsh on Carvalho/Silva but I do think there are quite a few CB better than them that could've been picked instead.

The other formation is a bit suicidal for me especially with two full backs(and Vogts not doing a man marking job) as a part of a back 3. I think your original one was pretty much spot on with what you had at disposal.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Henry as a LW is an option, but we wanted cruyff in his best position from where he could influence the pitch the most hence the 4-2-3-1.

I still believe young giggs can work very well with henry, he was more of a wing-forward than a traditional winger.
Not sure No.10 is Cruyff's best position and putting Henry on the left is not a LW more an inside forward with Cruyff dropping deep. If you want to keep Cruyff I'd find an Henry replacement and play a DM next to der Kaiser to play box-to-box.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Thanks
@Physiocrat .
I think you did well with the initial formation to mask Vieri and dropping him but IMO would've done better with a CB rather than Zico(at least my thoughts). Maybe I'm a bit harsh on Carvalho/Silva but I do think there are quite a few CB better than them that could've been picked instead.
The reason I went with Carvalho and Silva was that they were excellent CBs but were also good on the ball. I could have gone for Ruggeri but wanted the high possession option, plus I'm not fond of pure stoppers. I can understand the evaluation of Carvalho but T. Silva is a genuinely great CB on a level with Rio. Re- Zico I needed something else up front otherwise I'd have played Rivaldo as a false 9 with Best left and Johnstone right.

On strikers in general in an all-time draft there's only really MVB, G. Muller, Ronaldo and Romario of out and out strikers who get any credit at all. As an aside I think Ronaldo is actually better with a strike partner and Romario is significantly overrated. If you look at Balu's game most voters rate defence higher than the attack (Maldini will nullify Ronaldo) when it's clear that 8 times out of 10 the better attack wins- you can see this is transfer fees, goalscorers cost the most. All this is to say is that I do think Vieri is a credible threat against Nesta and Baresi.

The other formation is a bit suicidal for me especially with two full backs(and Vogts not doing a man marking job) as a part of a back 3. I think your original one was pretty much spot on with what you had at disposal.
Marzolini is out of place, probably should have kept on Silva but Vogts also played CB so I don't think he's too out of place.

MJJ

Not sure No.10 is Cruyff's best position and putting Henry on the left is not a LW more an inside forward with Cruyff dropping deep. If you want to keep Cruyff I'd find an Henry replacement and play a DM next to der Kaiser to play box-to-box.
What would you say is to beat position ? I always thought thought free role as a mumber 10( able to drop deep, go wide, push up) suits him the best as it doesn't disrupt the team shape and allows him to exert his genius all over the pitch.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
What would you say is to beat position ? I always thought thought free role as a mumber 10( able to drop deep, go wide, push up) suits him the best as it doesn't disrupt the team shape and allows him to exert his genius all over the pitch.
I always have thought of it as a false 9 within the total football system when he starts central but can drift left or in the hole. That said I can understand the way you're deploying him.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think Thiago Silva is a wee bit under-rated in the grand scheme of things. It's clearly a harder era for defenders to shine because the parks are quicker, the refereeing is far more strict, the passback rule is in place, the offside trap is a mess, and it all contributes to an attacking-friendly environment. Without then catapulting someone like Ramos into the pantheon of greats, what Silva brings together in terms of his physicality, athleticism, slickness on the ball, and defensive astuteness is a really impressive overall package. All of that has been in such compelling evidence for Milan and PSG and he is one of the few defenders who doesn't just cave in when up against the elite strikers of today. And his influence for Brazil could not be more pronounced than when he was absent for that semi-final evisceration in Rio.

Enigma_87

You know who
The reason I went with Carvalho and Silva was that they were excellent CBs but were also good on the ball. I could have gone for Ruggeri but wanted the high possession option, plus I'm not fond of pure stoppers. I can understand the evaluation of Carvalho but T. Silva is a genuinely great CB on a level with Rio. Re- Zico I needed something else up front otherwise I'd have played Rivaldo as a false 9 with Best left and Johnstone right.
I think Rivaldo with Best left and Johnstone would be better option IMO, provided that you got another top CB. Ruggeri is the better option out of the two and you could've played another ball playing CB next to him.

On strikers in general in an all-time draft there's only really MVB, G. Muller, Ronaldo and Romario of out and out strikers who get any credit at all. As an aside I think Ronaldo is actually better with a strike partner and Romario is significantly overrated. If you look at Balu's game most voters rate defence higher than the attack (Maldini will nullify Ronaldo) when it's clear that 8 times out of 10 the better attack wins- you can see this is transfer fees, goalscorers cost the most. All this is to say is that I do think Vieri is a credible threat against Nesta and Baresi.
There is also Puskas, Eusebio that can get on that first list. I think depending on the era it is arguable whether defence or attack wins. For example if we take the great Milan side, sure they had MvB, Gullit etc up front but if it wasn't for their defence I doubt they would've achieved what they did. Also another example is Fergie in the 90's and early 00's and then the late 00's when we were much more solid at the back and played 3 CL finals compared to 1 before.

I don't believe Vieri would cause much trouble between Nesta and Baresi to be fair. From memories when he was at Inter he was nullified most of the time when he played against Nesta and if you add Baresi to the equation I can't see him getting much of a sniff.

Marzolini is out of place, probably should have kept on Silva but Vogts also played CB so I don't think he's too out of place.
Probably Silva would've been better if you were trying 3 at the back, but all in all 3-2-5 as a formation I doubt would've brought many votes :)

I think Thiago Silva is a wee bit under-rated in the grand scheme of things. It's clearly a harder era for defenders to shine because the parks are quicker, the refereeing is far more strict, the passback rule is in place, the offside trap is a mess, and it all contributes to an attacking-friendly environment. Without then catapulting someone like Ramos into the pantheon of greats, what Silva brings together in terms of his physicality, athleticism, slickness on the ball, and defensive astuteness is a really impressive overall package. All of that has been in such compelling evidence for Milan and PSG and he is one of the few defenders who doesn't just cave in when up against the elite strikers of today. And his influence for Brazil could not be more pronounced than when he was absent for that semi-final evisceration in Rio.
I recall 36 years old Nesta being a pretty good match for prime Messi when both sides met. Same can be said for 30 years Cannavaro with the notorious WC performance. I don't think that era was that long ago compared to this one.

The level of world class defenders nowadays compared to 10 years ago I think is lower. Sure it has something to do with the things you mentioned but still the pool at the top is not that big at all.