Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RedTiger/Marty 3-1 Tuppet

• RedTiger/Marty 0-3 Tuppet

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marty1968

Have to disagree there. You are making him look like a cheaper version of Zambarotta! He played in a flat back 4 for Real and I don't believe the presence of Makelele had anything to do with the way Carlos operates. He's one of the few players you can count to man the flank on his own. It is understood that he favours to attack, but not to an extent he is deemed as a defensive liability. And good full backs do not give up attacking duties just because they face equally good wingers.
And he played in a flat back four for Madrid with Robinho in front of him. Carlos was tactically very astute and knew when to make runs forward. He wasn't just a rampaging full back with no regard for his defending. And the same can be said for Suurbier. A false picture is being portrayed here if people think Carlos and Suurbier are just going to bomb forward all game.

Marty1968

Both teams will score it's just a matter of how many....our team has more players who can score goals in my view. Muller and di Stefano are on a par with Sanchez and puskas. We then have Neymar, Matthews, lothar, Carlos and vieira who had his fair share of goals.

Marty1968

O sure, you have a very good team. The two teams feel very similar to me overall with players mostly sharing similar roles but the standout for me is the Di Stefano-Muller combo and how that would work compared the Puskas and Sanchez.
Even though puskas and Sanchez had better scoring records in la Liga than Di Stefano?

Marty1968

How have three people on here voted that our team wouldn't score a goal?? Petr Cech is going to keep a clean sheet against our front four??? Please!!!

RedTiger

Half mast
The only advantage I see is di Stefano dropping into midfield to help out tuppets middle, other than that all players are equal for both teams with our defence being slightly better by having 2 stoppers and Matthaus dropping to pick up the ball.

Not denying that tippet won't score because he might but not more than us. Hierro was an excellent defender but I think his skill set is wasted by being played further forwards.

Tuppet

And he played in a flat back four for Madrid with Robinho in front of him. Carlos was tactically very astute and knew when to make runs forward. He wasn't just a rampaging full back with no regard for his defending. And the same can be said for Suurbier. A false picture is being portrayed here if people think Carlos and Suurbier are just going to bomb forward all game.
Sorry no, Carlos is one thing, Suurbier is just not of the same caliber, without cover and against Boniek he will be roasted.

antohan said:
Suurbier is out of his depth at this level. Hell, he was the weakest on the park for club and country and isn't even playing total football here.
Gio said:
Agree about Suurbier. I did think about picking him, but frankly didn't rate him beyond his energy. On the ball he was pretty poor and is one of these players who were successful by association. In effect if he wasn't part of Holland's great 1970s team, he'd be nowhere near this draft (and probably wouldn't get into a '40s one).
Brwned said:
I found Suurbier fo be the most unimpressive of Ajax's back four
Antohan said:
[On Suurbier] People really have bugger all idea how average he was, clearly. Classic case of "I don't know the fullback so unless he is facing Ronaldo/Rivaldo/Ronnie/Best -and maybe one or two more- I'll assume he is fine". He isn't. He's getting raped.
Some Random Ajax fan said:
From what I have heard from my dad (big Ajax fan in the 70s, often in the stadium) Suurbier was on the ball (one of) the worst Ajax-players, but he made up for it with an amazing stamina, pace and determination.
Even PES database gave him a defense rating of 69, I know it doesn't mean much but I find it hard to believe that he'll be able to shackle Boniek to any degree.

Both teams will score it's just a matter of how many....our team has more players who can score goals in my view. Muller and di Stefano are on a par with Sanchez and puskas. We then have Neymar, Matthews, lothar, Carlos and vieira who had his fair share of goals.
Really !! Well first of all Muller and Sanchez are not on par. Muller is in a different stratosphere to Sanchez. Muller's pedigree in big games is unmatched and from his type I can see only Romario matching him. And then you don't see the threat of Jairzinho in my side ? You know one of the very few guys to score in all world cup games in one tournament. What about Boniek ? Hell even Hierro is like 4th all time goal scorer for Spain.

Now having said all that I don't think this statistics mean much. This game is going to be decided by mismatches, and Boniek vs Suurbier is biggest on the pitch. Also Di Stefano is completely and utterly free, there is no way I would believe Vierra being able to stop him, Matthaus I could buy but Vierra no chance.

My team would totally control the midfield, which means more chances to Muller & co than Sanchez and you know Muller doesn't need too many of them.

Finally even my defense is better equipped to handle your attacking threat. Sanchez's bread and butter was headed goals from crosses, while Passarella was one of the finest in air, he would head out everything Matthews could throw at him all game long.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Also Di Stefano is completely and utterly free, there is no way I would believe Vierra being able to stop him, Matthaus I could buy but Vierra no chance.
Come on, they are a pair. If they are not on Di Stefano defensively, don't know what else they'd be doing. Coluna would be the one running the game for you with Di Stefano tying up his midfield.

And Marty, Hierro is excellent as a DM. He has the ball skills and passing range to look after the midfield effortlessly.

Looking at your team now, someone like Nobby Stiles should have been blindingly obvious over Neymar. Put him behind your excellent midfield duo and you have a super strong midfield. :drool: Puskas in tucked in role is best served by a rampaging Carlos.

And Suurbier...you should have did a basic search on him in this forum before picking him. I always do for my players to see what previous reaction was.

Well Something for next draft, I suppose. I'd say you were just 1 player short of a good chance of winning this. Hard luck, mate!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Looking at your team now, someone like Nobby Stiles should have been blindingly obvious over Neymar. Put him behind your excellent midfield duo and you have a super strong midfield. :drool: Puskas in tucked in role is best served by a rampaging Carlos.
Oh, man, Nobby Stiles behind Matthaus and Vieira with Puskas on the left...:drool::drool::drool:

And this is where I say that Tuppet's team wins. His team's very well-balanced. In the midfield, there's a great balance with Hierro sitting back and Coluna being given the freedom to go forward with di Stefano playing his natural game. If Matthaus tries to close down di Stefano like he tried with Maradona at the 1986 World Cup final, then Coluna will have a good time as I don't see Vieira really being able to cover for Matthaus well enough.

Speaking of which, having Vieira and Matthaus in your midfield without an anchor man there is pretty much suicidal, especially when you're having Vieira drop back. Vieira was never a defensive midfielder. He was always more of an attacking box-to-box midfielder like Matthaus except he wasn't as defensively good. Vieira was always at his best when he had a defensive midfielder to partner him (Petit, Makelele, Gilberto Silva). Whenever he didn't have such a partner, his team's midfields were always open and leaky. Vieira's main strengths were his aggression, tackling/ball winning, skill on the ball, late runs forward, and the vision to spot incisive passes. In this team, I have no idea how he'll be useful in sacrificing all of his game for Matthaus. That just doesn't work at all. Just on that basis, I really don't think you'll be able to get a control of the game, though your attack will allow you to get 1 goal, for sure.

I'll go with 3-1 for Tuppet just because his team's very well-balanced and has a well-rounded attack, too.