Bolton in senior cup

oskarutd

from manutd.com

Reserves: Bolton 0 United 1

United saw off a young Bolton Wanderers side in the Manchester Senior Cup on Thursday evening with a solitary strike from substitute Febian Brandy.

Brian McClair's side won a close battle with the Reds' North west neighbours, a match in which a solitary goal was always all that was likely to seperate these two teams.

And, after a close first half, the breakthrough was made by United on 72 minutes.

Impressive Reds winger Jamie Mullan caused Bolton's defence problems all night with his pace and crossing ability. His cross was met with a powerful header from Richard Jones, which rebounded off the crossbar. Substitute striker Brandy, who had only been on the pitch for four minutes, reacted quickest with a simple tap-in from close range.

United's clean sheet can be traced largely to the outstanding performances of cente-backs Craig Cathcart and Ryan Shawcross, who dominated Bolton's forwards and allowed them few opportunities on goal.

red thru&thru

i think craig cathcart will be another success story. he to like j.evans reads the game brilliantly

julesee

red thru&thru said:
i think craig cathcart will be another success story. he to like j.evans reads the game brilliantly
not sure about cathcart myself - seen him have one or two dodgy games....

M160RA

jules031272 said:
not sure about cathcart myself - seen him have one or two dodgy games....
It's normal at his level. Young centrebacks need to make mistakes at the youth level because that's how they'll learn. It's when they repeat the same mistake that it becomes a problem, especially at a later stage.

He probably doesn't have the same natural talent as Jonny Evans, but I reckon he's a very bright prospect.

oskarutd

westlife4ever said:
any squad information?
2 R. Eckersley
3 Lea
4 and 5 Cathcart and Shawcross
6 R. Jones
7 Mullen
8 Lee
9 Marsh
10 Burns

subs:
15?
+ Brandy

+guessing:
1 Heaton perhaps.
11 Barnes

julesee

M160RA said:
It's normal at his level. Young centrebacks need to make mistakes at the youth level because that's how they'll learn. It's when they repeat the same mistake that it becomes a problem, especially at a later stage.

He probably doesn't have the same natural talent as Jonny Evans, but I reckon he's a very bright prospect.
you could be right...i dont have a strong view on this one

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
oskarutd said:
2 R. Eckersley
3 Lea
4 and 5 Cathcart and Shawcross
6 R. Jones
7 Mullen
8 Lee
9 Marsh
10 Burns

subs:
15?
+ Brandy

+guessing:
1 Heaton perhaps.
11 Barnes
Team Line Up: Heaton, Barnes, Lea, Cathcart, Shawcross, R. Jones, Mullan, Lee, Marsh, Burns, S. Evans

Subs: Brandy (11), Amos, Fagan, Gray (10)

Scorer: Brandy

westlife4ever

Thanks Tony and oskar :yawn:

As for Cathcart, I think both he and Shawcross will be decent centre-backs, but not United class.