Gaming Building a gaming PC

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Do you guys with your 5000€ builds then actually play video games? :nervous:
valid point, it may be the same thing as with guitar payers or photographers... there are those who can talk hours about every technical detail of every piece of equipment that ever existed, and there are those who just make beautiful music/pictures :D

Scottynaldinho

Q for the PC tech folk: currently have a 2070, can just about afford a 4070. Ryzen 7 3800 build.

Would you do it? The perks I can see are: the card will deffo fit in my box, and it doesn't need a new PSU. Downside...$600!?!?
Depends on what resolution and framerate your monitor supports. It will not be a long-term solution for 1440p gaming and will not handle most games at 4k so you better stay away.

Scottynaldinho

I used to spend a lot on my builds, but I never used to actually play the games. I just played the games until I optimized them to maintain the highest possible frame rate.

mitChley

Q for the PC tech folk: currently have a 2070, can just about afford a 4070. Ryzen 7 3800 build.

Would you do it? The perks I can see are: the card will deffo fit in my box, and it doesn't need a new PSU. Downside...$600!?!?
What's the price difference between a 4070 and an AMD card? You probably get better cost per performance from team red.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Depends on what resolution and framerate your monitor supports. It will not be a long-term solution for 1440p gaming and will not handle most games at 4k so you better stay away.
Sadly kind of feels like that! My monitor is actually 4k but obv i can't game at that.
Just crazy that it'll have been 5 years since I got a gpu and around $500 can't buy agreat upgrade!

The Hilton

Mine isn't quite at that price point, although I've got a pretty powerful system, and I use it for gaming plenty. It's easy to get bitten by the "must always upgrade" bug but as long as you're getting a good FPS in the games you're playing it can be ignored.

What resolution are you planning to play at? And what kinda games? You'll have a bit of a bottleneck with your CPU not keeping up with the 4070, but would still see an improvement. The 4070 generally seems like a bit of a meh card though, it's basically a 3080 with DLSS 3.

If you're looking at an upgrade, post your system specs, resolution, games you're playing or want to play and maybe what your current performance is like, and we can see where your money would be well spent (if anywhere).

Adamsk7

Bad time to upgrade. The 4070 isn’t selling at £589 so it’ll be coming down in price soon, especially with an AMD competitor on the way. Waiting for a 7800XT and some price drops elsewhere is wise at this point

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Mine isn't quite at that price point, although I've got a pretty powerful system, and I use it for gaming plenty. It's easy to get bitten by the "must always upgrade" bug but as long as you're getting a good FPS in the games you're playing it can be ignored.

What resolution are you planning to play at? And what kinda games? You'll have a bit of a bottleneck with your CPU not keeping up with the 4070, but would still see an improvement. The 4070 generally seems like a bit of a meh card though, it's basically a 3080 with DLSS 3.

If you're looking at an upgrade, post your system specs, resolution, games you're playing or want to play and maybe what your current performance is like, and we can see where your money would be well spent (if anywhere).
That's very kind, I'll take advice anytime!
Ryzen 7 3800X, 4200 Mhz / 32GB RAM / New SSD / Gigabyte 2070
Acer Predator 28" monitor

Games: looking forward to new Jedi, D4 and (sooooon) Starfield.

The Hilton

That's very kind, I'll take advice anytime!
Ryzen 7 3800X, 4200 Mhz / 32GB RAM / New SSD / Gigabyte 2070
Acer Predator 28" monitor

Games: looking forward to new Jedi, D4 and (sooooon) Starfield.
Sorry mate I meant to reply to this and completely forgot I had to actually press the button.

Your monitor is 2160p right? How does it look at 1440p? The problem you've got is that if you want to be at playing at 4k with a decent framerate, you'll need a much beefier card than the 4070, while if you're aiming for lower resolutions, then you'll bottleneck the 4070 with your current CPU (which will happen if you go for a beefier card at 2160p too). So I'd be looking at a CPU upgrade personally, you could upgrade with the same socket and then be set for a more powerful GPU.

Either way, if you're looking for a decent card at 4k, the 4070 isn't going to cut it (but it's lightyears better than the 2070).

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
A 4070 is absolutely enough for 4k / 60 FPS, unless you're talking Cyberpunk with its new pathtracing mode. With the abundance of modern upscaling methods like DLSS2/3, FSR2, Xess, games will be rendered at lower resolutions internally anyway. I'm running 4k with a 6700XT, which is perfectly ok if you accept 'high' instead of 'ultra' quality settings.

The 4070 isn't built for longevity though. The 12 GB VRAM are just enough for today's games at high resolutions, in a few years it will have issues related to vram size, like its predecessors do now (the 8gb 3070 and also 10gb 3080).

There's already games which would be severely limited by the 3800X though, Jedi Survivor being the most recent and worst example. CPU limits below 60 FPS are a reality for most CPUs out there with dips in the region of 20-30.

Last edited:

Habs

What do you guys think of this spec and rough value for it?

Full spec is:

Fractal Define 7 compact
5x Noctua NF-A12 chromax fans
ASUS Z790 apex
Intel 13900KS
Noctua chromax U12A
Corsair vengeance 32GB DDR5 7200mhz c34
3 x 2tb Samsung 990 pro NVMe drives
MSI suprim X 4090
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair braided cables with graphic card 600w cable

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
13900KS is a waste of money over the standard K. Apart from that it's the best of the best and would obviously cost a shitload of money