Burscough vs Manchester United (Reserves)

Virtuoso

First pre-season friendly tomorrow for the first team and the reserves...

"NEW Manchester United reserve team boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer brings his side to Burscough tomorrow as the Blue Square North club begin their pre-season build-up in style."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...nited-manchester-united-guns-100252-21325241/

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's first ever match in charge as manager of the Reserve team. Should be interesting to see what side he fields and whether Davide Petrucci, Fabio or Rafael are involved.

Also...

Young trio sign on

Danny Welbeck heads a list of three United youngsters who have signed professional forms with the club ahead of the new season.

The highly-rated young striker has put pen to paper to sign on with the Reds, as have Daniel Drinkwater and Antonio Bryan.

The deals reflect the clear improvement in each of the trio during the 2007/08 season, in which each performed well for the club's Reserves and U18s sides

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6613669

Good news that too, all three have a lot of potential - ofcourse, especially Danny Welbeck.

PS18

Will be interesting to see who plays in goal tomorrow, seeing as Zieler's off with Germany at the Euro U19's, Amos and Woods are with the first-team in Aberdeen and Heaton's on loan of course. Unless Ben Foster is being kept behind to play at Burscough for some strange reason (seems very unlikely) then I guess it'll probably be Conor Devlin?

Looking forward to it anyway, going to travel over there and watch the game I think.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
A bit surprised Bryan got a pro contract, the Dannys are very exciting.

PS18

Would have expected Evans, Galbraith, Eikrem and Amos to get pro deals as well. Unless they already have.

TheReligion

Abusive
United won 3-1

Didnt see who go the first but Brandy scored a great goal just before half time and Possebon scored a belter from about 20 yards in the 2nd half.

Didnt see anything of the Brazillians or Petrucci

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Team v Burscough

1. Devlin
2. Gray (c)
3. Eckersley
4. Cathcart
5. Chester
6. Possebon
7. Eikrem
8. Drinkwater
9. Brandy
10. Cleverley
11. Macheda

12. Derbyshire (7) - '59
14. Brown (3) - '29
15. James (8) - '69
16. King (11) - '45
17. Johnston - (1) - '69

Scorers: Cleverley '8, Brandy '43, Possebon '61

Ecks went off injured and David Gray moved to left back with Reece filling in at right back.

The Brazilians were sitting on the bench in training kit but were not involved at all.

No sign of Petrucci.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
1. Who's Johnston?
2. Some of these lads will be going to SA, right? Surely the likes of Brandy and Rodrigo are going?

PS18

Johnstone was wearing #13 fwiw (just checked my photos).

Rodrigo's goal was a beauty, shame he got caught in possession and gifted them the consolation as Ole and Warren Joyce were very keen on getting a clean sheet. Good performance all in all though against quite a strong, physical side.

Mr. MUJAC

Johnstone was wearing #13 fwiw (just checked my photos).

Rodrigo's goal was a beauty, shame he got caught in possession and gifted them the consolation as Ole and Warren Joyce were very keen on getting a clean sheet. Good performance all in all though against quite a strong, physical side.
He was on the teamsheet as 17 and announced over the tannoy the same....I didn't notice his shirt during his brief appearance though!

Would be interested in seeing your photos.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Team v Burscough

1. Devlin
2. Gray (c)
3. Eckersley
4. Cathcart
5. Chester
6. Possebon
7. Eikrem
8. Drinkwater
9. Brandy
10. Cleverley
11. Macheda

12. Derbyshire (7) - '59
14. Brown (3) - '29
15. James (8) - '69
16. King (11) - '45
17. Johnston - (1) - '69

Scorers: Cleverley '8, Brandy '43, Possebon '61

Ecks went off injured and David Gray moved to left back with Reece filling in at right back.

The Brazilians were sitting on the bench in training kit but were not involved at all.

No sign of Petrucci.
If Devlin and Johnston were the goalkeepers today, why have manutd.com then Zieler as goalkeeper :confused:

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6613752

PS18

He was on the teamsheet as 17 and announced over the tannoy the same....I didn't notice his shirt during his brief appearance though!

Would be interested in seeing your photos.
Just going to have my tea and then I'll get them uploaded. I was stood right by the dugouts so had a good view of the shirt numbers!

Red442

Last Man Standing Champion
Welbeck's injured isn't he? Anyone know how long he's out for?

PS18

The blue shirt is new training kit, yeah. They all had it on, most wore the red tops over them though because it was pretty nippy with the wind gusting. The little fella's Jimmy Derbyshire. He's pretty short, although it has to be said he's next to Reece Brown there, and Reece seemed almost as tall as me today (and i'm 6' 4"), so it might be an unfair comparison :D

Virtuoso

Thanks for the info guys, and cheers for the photos PS18.

I've checked the listings on MUTV for the next couple of days and no sight of them showing highlights to this match for some reason.

PS18

Didn't see any cameras there filming I must admit. Shame really, Rodrigo's goal really was a beauty, would love to see it again. Similar to Tevez's against West Ham last season, only slightly more central - dipped over the keeper beautifully.

Mr. MUJAC

Didn't see any cameras there filming I must admit. Shame really, Rodrigo's goal really was a beauty, would love to see it again. Similar to Tevez's against West Ham last season, only slightly more central - dipped over the keeper beautifully.
I was on the other side of the pitch opposite you and was chatting to the MUTV guy who was taping the game so I expect to see something come out....

Great photos by the way.....I forgot to take my camera but you got a couple of the Brazilians......which one was it?

;)

PS18

I was on the other side of the pitch opposite you and was chatting to the MUTV guy who was taping the game so I expect to see something come out....

Great photos by the way.....I forgot to take my camera but you got a couple of the Brazilians......which one was it?

;)
Think it's going to take a fair while before I have any idea which is which :D

I was stood next to a Brazilian girl who I think was a relation of Rodrigo, should have tried to get her to ask the twins to identify themselves.

Name Changed

weso26
How come the Brazilien twins weren't near the first team or the reserve team? I was hoping to see them play.

How did Macheda play?

oskarutd

How come the Brazilien twins weren't near the first team or the reserve team? I was hoping to see them play.

How did Macheda play?
They have just had their 18th birthday. I guees they are waiting for their international clearing.

Since they were on the reserves bench I must insist they were near the reserves team....

PS18

King's quick and pretty skilful, he's knocked off the ball pretty easily though. His decision-making and the timing/direction of his runs needs quite a bit of work too. Very raw basically, but clear talent there.

To go back to your earlier question about Rodrigo, he was 80% excellent, 20% really sloppy. His passing was generally excellent, he got stuck in and most impressively he got forward really well both on and off the ball (and scored a terrific goal of course). On the negative side, he showed an almost Ronaldo-esque tendency to stop playing sometimes when he thought he should have got a freekick, and a few too many times he seemed reluctant to play the simple ball and ended up playing himself into trouble trying to do something more tricky - Burscough's consolation was a direct result of such an occasion.

Still arguably the best player on the park though, and neither of the quibbles were really anything I noticed from him last season so he may just have been getting a little bit cocky against such lowly opposition. That'll get knocked out of him no bother.

gerrydaly

Praying to have a guy on top of him
I saw the goals on Paddy Crerand's programme on MUTV this evening. Great goal by Rodrigo, really sloppy in giving the ball away for Burscough's goal.

Virtuoso

I saw the goals on Paddy Crerand's programme on MUTV this evening. Great goal by Rodrigo, reall sloppy in giving the ball away for Burscough's goal.
Yeah saw that too, Brandy's goal was also very well taken - can't understand why Macheda was played out wide on the left though.

PS18

I think it was mainly because with Eikrem playing wide left of the four in midfield, he was always likely to want to come inside and tuck in a bit, so we needed some width down that side. It wasn't a case of Macheda being stuck out there as an out and out left winger, he spent plenty of time in a more orthodox striker's role and his only real chance of the game came from a ball played through to him in an inside right position. He was just under instruction to pull wide and offer an option down that flank when Magnus was more central.

Probably would have been better to have started King wide left but no harm in a little bit of experimentation pre-season. Hopefully Galbraith and Brady will be available soon enough to offer genuine options on the left wing.