Carling Cup vs. Crewe --- Which Reserves/Youngsters Deserve to Play?

M160RA

A number of the players we have out on loan would've been ripe for the game - e.g. Pique, Rossi, Martin, Bardsley, Simpson, Gibson, and perhaps Campbell.

But of the players who aren't on loan, who would you reckon deserves to be on the team sheet on Wednesday?

David Jones for me is a definite, and I hope he starts the game and isn't just on the subs bench.
Richie Jones also seems likely to be in the squad.
Who else? Would Barnes/Mullan deserve a chance on the wing based on their performances this season? How about Danny Rose and Kieran Lee?

Epic

The Jones' will certainly get a game, Lee might also get a run-out as he played in some of the pre-season friendlys. Doubt the others are ready for first-team football.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Probably at least one defender, one midfielder, and possibly a wide man.

You'd expect it to be Smith and Ole up front. Or at least for them both to be in there somewhere

julesee

Hope Barnesey gets a look in. But i guess as you say the possibilities are limited by the number of youngster on loan

Red17

David Jones' is listed as a first team squad member, not reserves. He'll certainly be starting.

Ritchie Jones should start alongside him in CM. Kieran Lee and Mullan among the subs.

PS18

Apparently the squad is:

Kuszczak, Heaton; Brown, Silvestre, Heinze, Shawcross, Lee, O'Shea; R Jones, D Jones, Fletcher, Richardson, Gray; Smith, Solskjaer, Marsh, Burns

Which would be a bit harsh on Michael Barnes, but otherwise quite pleasing to see. Team will probably be as in the post above but with Fletcher in for Ronaldo, although it wouldn't surprise me to see O'Shea in midfield instead of Ritchie Jones.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Barnes is a bit younger than the others though. The ones picked generally appear to be the most physically developed of the reserves (e.g. Shawcross, Gray, Ritchie Jones, Marsh), which sort of makes sense. He's also obviously picked the squad based on which positions he needs to cover - hence Burns, as a cover striker/wide player, and Lee, as a cover right-back/right-midfield.

sincher

I would have liked to see either Mullan or Sean Evans in the squad, as I think both are promising, but can't disagree that those in the squad deserve a chance - especially Lee, Shawcross and Ritchie Jones, who I'm sure can play at this level. I don't think that much of Gray, but he's a big lad. Burns is talented.

M160RA

Well I suppose that means we can expect a lineup like:

....................Kuszczak.....................
O'Shea....Brown......Silvestre.....Heinze
Fletcher....D.Jones....R.Jones....Richardson
.............Smith.....Solskjaer................
SUBS: Heaton, Shawcross, Lee, Gray, Marsh, Burns

By the way, what exactly is Gray's best position? Is it true that he's been played as a right back, a midfielder, and a striker for academy and reserves.

Also, does anyone reckon Kieran Lee has the potential to make it at United or at least play at the top level?

sincher

Gray's played all over the shop - started as a striker, then played in midfield, and now in defence - most recently at centre-back. I think right-back is his best position - he's quick and tall and gets forward well. But I don't think he'll make it. Lee is more promising I reckon, and looks like he will have a career. Obviously, it's not likely he'll make it at United, but let's hope he does.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't think he does. He's just run out of ideas in terms of what to do with him.

He looks nothing like as good as he used to be, for whatever reason

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What's happened to this Johnny Evans chap? I thought he was all the rage, playing for his country etc etc Why is he not getting a look in?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Poor chap. Still can't see that arrangement really benefiting us that much given how shite Antwerp are.

PS18

noodlehair said:
I don't think he does. He's just run out of ideas in terms of what to do with him.

He looks nothing like as good as he used to be, for whatever reason
Tbf, we're judging him on a handful of reserve games, which - after his exploits last season - have to be a major comedown, especially when he probably thought he would get his first team chance this season. Massive game for him tonight though, don't think it's exaggerating to say a poor performance (or even a half-decent one) will probably end his chances of making it, which would be desperately disappointing.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Plechazunga said:
David Jones really needs to have a blinder

I can't work out if Fergie rates him or not. If not, why's he kept him, but if so, why does he never get 5 minutes here and there?
He was destined to play second half against Wigan but we fecked up the first half. which was Fergie and Quieroz's fault by the way. I don't think he would make the bench if he wasn't rated. I think he like Richardson will get games against some really weak premriership opposition in the near future. But most likely I think in our last 2 Champions league games if we secure qualification vs Copenhagen. Thus believes the chief:cool:

M160RA

Dans said:
Poor chap. Still can't see that arrangement really benefiting us that much given how shite Antwerp are.
I've been following their exploits through highlights, and while the quality of that league leaves much to be desired, the atmosphere for some of those games, especially derbies and cup ties, sound amazing. The players get to do a lot of interviews, and you can tell that they have a big sense of responsibility for their performances. I think there is definitely some benefit in sending our youngsters to Antwerp - add to that the fact that they see regular football, and have Andy Welsh's watchful eye over them. There are definitely the disadvantages of lower standards and being in a different country, but there's definitely some benefits.

PS18

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber said:
He was destined to play second half against Wigan but we fecked up the first half. which was Fergie and Quieroz's fault by the way. I don't think he would make the bench if he wasn't rated. I think he like Richardson will get games against some really weak premriership opposition in the near future. But most likely I think in our last 2 Champions league games if we secure qualification vs Copenhagen. Thus believes the chief:cool:
Still beyond me how he didn't come on for Scholes against Copenhagen instead of Richardson.