Celebrations

Maroo

Terrific achievement, for sure - and don't mean to sound Arsenal-like. Proud of Ole, who has taken it on the chin, including from fans like me.

It feels such a relief that we are far away from Jose right now. Was a bit depressing following the club back then, except for his first season.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
We are not miles off Liverpool. We are young and hungry, we will sign players to give us more strength and our young talents will only be better.

Liverpool are great now, but I can’t see that they are building for the future. They will struggle soon enough.
We have a lot to celebrate and look forward to, but as of now, we are absolute miles off Liverpool and City, no doubt about that.

Jackal981

Woohooo!!!!!! Come on folks. We finished third in the league. We played some s*xy football on way to that third place. I for one am celebrating the current season and looking forward to the next one.
Sancho will turn our attack into a different beast. Still need some depth in midfield and back though

SmallCaine

We are not miles off Liverpool. We are young and hungry, we will sign players to give us more strength and our young talents will only be better.

Liverpool are great now, but I can’t see that they are building for the future. They will struggle soon enough.
Outside of Milner they don't really have a first 11 player who is 30 or above, they have an incredibly young team and just as our youngsters will get better so will their's. We are definitely miles off liverpool, to think that 2-3 players will suddenly make us better than liverpool is being delusional.

treble_winner

This celebration will be moot if Woodward and the board took this season as "United doing fine for top 4" and don't bring in the necessary reinforcements in the summer, though. We know our board tends to spend big in the years when we are out of Champions League to get back into it (The money is key). Then when we qualify for Champions League, purchasing tends to be more limited.

lysglimt

Scout
So how is this win worth ? I know £23 million from adidas - and maybe £40-50 million from participating in C.L compared to Europa League ?

Revan

Assumptionman
Outside of Milner they don't really have a first 11 player who is 30 or above, they have an incredibly young team and just as our youngsters will get better so will their's. We are definitely miles off liverpool, to think that 2-3 players will suddenly make us better than liverpool is being delusional.
Milner is not in their starting 11. He played less than half of the minutes that Winjauldum did, and 1000+ fewer minutes than Fabinho/Henderson, also less minutes than Ox. He played less for them than Pereira, Lingard, Mata or James played for us.

Henderson is 30 though, Van Dijk 29, and their attacking trio are all 28, I believe. They should have another couple of good seasons before starting to decline, and with a bit of luck, Klopp will feck off and won't fancy a rebuild.

Revan

Assumptionman
So how is this win worth ? I know £23 million from adidas - and maybe £40-50 million from participating in C.L compared to Europa League ?
A Sancho more or less (both on money and on our ability to convince him to join).

lysglimt

Scout
Ehm - they do not have an incredibly young team - they have a team where practically all the players are at the peak of their career - and a few young ones like TAA and Gomez

Henderson is 30
Wijnaldum turns 30 in nov
Matip turns 29 in a few weeks
Van Dijk is 29
Firmino turns 29 in oct
Mane is 28
Salah is 28
Allison turns 28 in oct
Oxlade-Chamberlain is 27
Fabinho turns 27 in oct
Even Robertson is 26

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Ehm - they do not have an incredibly young team - they have a team where practically all the players are at the peak of their career - and a few young ones like TAA and Gomez

Henderson is 30
Van Dijk is 29
Firmino turns 29 in oct
Mane is 28
Salah is 28
Allison turns 28 in oct
Oxlade-Chamberlain is 27
Fabinho turns 27 in oct
Even Robertson is 26
Agreed. Although...that's a team that is "young enough" to dominate next season and maybe the season after with some added reinforcements.

Revan

Assumptionman

Henderson is 30
Van Dijk is 29
Firmino turns 29 in oct
Mane is 28
Salah is 28
Allison turns 28 in oct
Oxlade-Chamberlain is 27
Fabinho turns 27 in oct
Even Robertson is 26
That is not too bad. I mean, eventually it is gonna be bad, but that is a problem for 2-3 years from now.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

This.

What we have done is to build a foundation to compete. We know we have a strong starting 11 that's capable of competing. Now to add the next layer to the foundation. Squad depth.

Good thing is that we have time as the players are relatively young.

trafford1980

Very happy with 3rd given how we started the season. Didn't think it was possible at one point.

Celebrating is a bit much though. Real Madrid, Barca, Juve, Bayern etc don't celebrate coming 3rd. Neither should we. We will take it and hope its the start of something better to come.
And neither should they. If Bayern or Juve finished third they'd be an absolute laughing stock considering the state of their competition.

I don't want to derail the thread but just take a quick glance at who played out last year's Champions League and Europa League finals and work out the common denominator..

We stormed into third place on the back of a massive unbeaten run and have blooded a young superstar along the way.

Finishing third is a great achievement all things considered, we should all enjoy it!

SmallCaine

Henderson is 30
Van Dijk is 29
Firmino turns 29 in oct
Mane is 28
Salah is 28
Allison turns 28 in oct
Oxlade-Chamberlain is 27
Fabinho turns 27 in oct
Even Robertson is 26
Matip and wijnaldum aren't first 11 player. Having most of your core performers in the 26-28 range is a young team, not in terms of what they could achieve in future but in terms of how long they can stay on top given what they have already won. They easily have 3-4 years minimum left in them playing at their peak. Most teams would kill to have that talent in that age group.

lysglimt

Scout
That is not too bad. I mean, eventually it is gonna be bad, but that is a problem for 2-3 years from now.
I am not saying its bad - but it's also unrealistic that this crop of players will continue to improve. They are at their peak - whereas the majority of our players certainly aren't.

But it's not a group of players that will dominate football for the next 3-4 seasons

TheReligion

Abusive
Matip and wijnaldum aren't first 11 player. Having most of your core performers in the 26-28 range is a young team, not in terms of what they could achieve in future but in terms of how long they can stay on top given what they have already won. They easily have 3-4 years minimum left in them playing at their peak. Most teams would kill to have that talent in that age group.
Depends on the type of play/players.

Do you think mane salah and Firmino will still be as explosive in and out of possession as they hit 30? Do you see them remaining injury free?

The goalkeeper can always last longer but VVD is 29 and his pace will start to go. Henderson is another one

Given the game Liverpool play they are going to need to start a serious rebuild soon.

Pav1878

Anyone else looking forward to the Champions League draw already!?

Hoping for some classic European away days! (Provided Covid is much better by then)

Reynoldo

Good achievements.
  • breaking good records
  • 2020 football is back fun and strong
  • good momentum
  • back to CL
I'll celebrate after we win the EL trophy though.
Couldn’t agree more, it was very tense and emotional yesterday but for me today it just feels like job done. Now we have the platform to build on this to move forward so let’s finally do it.

But yes a Europa league win would be cause for celebrations and hopefully provide a springboard for further success for this team.

Crustanoid

So glad the actual football activity is stopping so that we can all get on with the really important business: the transfer season

Uniquim

Here's the league table starting from Matchday 26, which was the winter-break split-weekend matchday in February.

Plenty of reason for optimism going into next season!

SirAnderson

Well a new thread just came up telling us we can't celebrate. So since we can't celebrated going in the right direction and actually landing top 4 when most of us didn't give it a look in around January, we can't celebrate our youthful squad that actually look like they can bridge the gap with a few more good signings, we can't celebrate the fact that maybe, just maybe, we don't have to wander the wilderness for 30 years, and we can't celebrate the fact that we have a great chance at actually getting a trophy in the Europa league....

So let's just pack it up and....

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES.......CMON!!!!

Feckerssssss!!! :lol: :devil:

ThinkTank@Cafe

Well a new thread just came up telling us we can't celebrate. So since we can't celebrated going in the right direction and actually landing top 4 when most of us didn't give it a look in around January, we can't celebrate our youthful squad that actually look like they can bridge the gap with a few more good signings, we can't celebrate the fact that maybe we don't have to wander the wilderness for 30 years, and we can't celebrate the fact that we have a great chance at actually getting a trophy in the Europa league....

So let's just pack it up and....

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES.......CMON!!!!

Feckerssssss!!! :lol: :devil:
Great point. 26 years between Busby and SAF.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Here's the league table starting from Matchday 26, which was the winter-break split-weekend matchday in February.

Brilliant stuff, and look at the state of Leicester.

I'm happy to credit Ole and the players for digging in in the second half of the season and giving us something to build on. I'm looking forward to an EL campaign for which we'll have a bit of rest and no huge pressure to win it for CL football next year, and I'm looking forward to the new season with an enthusiasm I haven't had since Fergie.

Nobody, least of all Ole and the players, is calling this our destination so I'm looking forward to seeing how we improve in the coming weeks and months.

Last edited:

ThinkTank@Cafe

Offf.... my man. You're missing the point. By a whole universe.

Manchester United is, wether you want to or not, unlike most clubs in the sense that we have a enormous heritage after Sir Alex retired. 26 years as a manager in a football world where the average term for a Premier league boss is 1.8 years. Most fans under the age of 35~ of this club has really only known football with Sir Alex in charge, and the years following his retirement.

There are a few strong characteristics that defines Manchester United:

A) Continuity
B) The Academy
C) Stellar recruitment
D) Winning mentality

Now, you can disagree with all that and act a bit spoiled while you look to other clubs and admire what they are doing like a petulant toddler, or you can take a seat and reflect on what this club actually is. Because if you want your club to buy every world star imaginable, buy a Manchester City jersey and go enjoy the echo from the stands at the Etihad.

Since Sir Alex retired we've seen the gross dismantling of A) - Lack of focus on B) - Spectacular failures of C) and D) coming and going like the tide.

Instead of nurturing the heritage after Ferguson, the board overseen the decline into a mish-mash of marquee signings, expensive failures, the worst contract in football, lack of continuity and direction, lack of great youth development, abhorrent contracts and loss of the Premier Leauge throne.

We have spent the money and more than our counterparts, and we have exactly what to show for it? That's right, a 2nd in the league, a EL trophy and some forgettable silverware. The ENTIRE identity of this team has been gone and forgotten and attempted replaced by a buyers club mentality that has failed in spectacular fashion. So you don't think we have a lot to celebrate? I'd rather argue that we have a LOT to celebrate. But first of all let me just rephrase what the club has said several times:

We are in the middle of a rebuild. - A REBUILD. The manager has been VERY voical about this being a process that will take years to complete. Ed Himself has been vocal about this being a rebuild. They've identified that they are on the wrong path, and are commited to getting back to, as they say, 'The Untied Way'. I don't understand why people have such a massively hard time with this concept, so let me just use the most common phrase in the world: Rome wasn't build in a day. For the first time since Sir Alex retired, the club and manager are fully on a clear path with a common goal with the backing of the board. The goal is to reclaim the identity of this club, and that takes time. Now, I am sorry if that displeases you and fans with a similar disposition for the patience of a gant, but that is the reality we find ourselves in. The club isn't even focusing on mounting a title challenge next year. The spoken goal is the year following, that is when the club expects to be at a place where they can compete for the PL trophy and CL trophies again through the following key factors:

Youth deveopemnt coming to fruition
Player purchases who have contiued developing
Continuity in the squad
Continuity in the coaching staff
Continuity in the manager.

IF you lack patience, you're supporting the wrong club. If you think you've had enough patience, blame the former managers and player recruitment for finding ourselves where we are today. They are at fault for this process having to take place, not the 19/20 version of Manchester United.

So what is there to celebrate? Well, as it turns out.. a LOT.

1) The project is developoing as the club wants. There was a goal this season: Secure Champions league, and we did that. They wrere realistic about the capabilities of the squad and they made it over the finishing line. We've had some high peaks and deep valleys. It should be a surprise to no one because the bloody manager said that is what we should expect this season. It's almost, so very almost, like he had somewhat of an idea of how the season would pan out. Ole knew what he was talking about, who would have thought?

2) Player recruitment has been phenomenal. Across the board player recruitment of 19/20 gets a B+. Overall we recruited no dead weight, and promoted solid, solid players from the academy.

Daniel James has overall been the weakest player to come in, but even he has contributed a impressive 6 assists in the PL this season, which is enouh for joint third with Martial, and 1 behind Rashford and Bruno overall. He is only 22 and very much still developing. He's currently projecting to be a good rotational player and impact sub.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka has fixed a enormous problem from last season: our right back. Whereas before it was a significant problem, now I feel quite relieved if they are attacking down the right flank. He is the best defensive rightback in the league by some margin, and has taken good strides going forward in the latter half of the season. Also 22 years old and still a developing player. A lot of posters use Trent Alexander-Arnold against him with regards to offensive production, but if your only argument is 1 guy in football, then you don't have an argument to begin with.

Marcus Rashford has nearly doubled is previous goal scoring total on a season from 18/19. At 22 he's one of the best prospects in football. Before his injury he was on a solid trajectory to compete for the golden boot. For us who enjoy stats, his xG stats indicated that he should have been the Premier Leauge top scorer this season before his injury. He's wasted a lot of chances, but also generated some enormous goals, like the Chelsea free kick.

Mason Greenwood - Age 18 - A superstar in the making. I predicted 10 goals on the season for him. He netted 10: In the Premier League. Enough for joint 21st overall. Not too bad for a player who'se primary contribution comes in 2020. 19 goals overall on the season for a 18year old is sensational and puts him in the same echelon as other greats at the same age.

Brandon Williams, Age 19 - Gave Luke Shaw real competiiton for the Left Back position, a couple Player of the Match appearances and overall an incredible breakout season. He's still so young that he is nowhere near the player he will develop into the next seasons yet.

Anthony Martial - Still only 24 years of age about to hit his prime years, record goal scoring season matching Rashford at 17 on the season. His first year being givent he number 9 role, and he's taken it with both hands. Remember the player that Ole yelled at during warmup for the Cardiff game last season? He's nowhere to be found, this version of Martial is willing to break his face to score a goal.

Harry Maguire - The new captain of Manchester United. The first outfield player to play all PL matches since Gary Pallister in 92/93 (I think thats the year). He's being given a lot of schtick for having a pricetag, like it's somehow his fault. A very solid 2/3's of the season for Harry, a bit so-so the last third some matches but overall you can't call this a bad signing.

Bruno Fernandes - The best signing in the Premier League 19/20. He gave this team a dimension we never had with the likes of Pereira on the pitch. We have a LOT of speed with Rashford, Martial and even James, but no on to thread the ball. With Fernandes we got that and it changed our dynamic immediately.

Fred - Became pivotal in a season where Pogba spent most of it injured. Fred is one of the players of the year and had his breakout season in the club this season. His only crime for being benched after the re-start is that his isnt Paul Pogba.

Luke Shaw - At 25 years of age he is entering his prime. If you need any evidence as to why Shaw is one of the most important players on the pitch, notice the difference when he's playing and when he's not. He is SO important to that left side. Without him Rashford is forced to play deeper than he should. Shaw at times is an absolute beast. Having him and Williams competing for that Left back is beyond incredible the next seasons.

3) The academy is recruiting some incredibly exciting talent that will see Premier League action the next 1-2 years. Hannibal Mejbri, James Garner, Axel Tuanzebe, Tahith Chong (potential), Dillon Hoogewerf, Ethan Laird will all see first team football before the 22/23 season is finished. Out of all of these, Hannibal is projected as the biggest talent and one of the 'next big thing' players. If that comes to fruition, we'll just have to wait and see.

4) The continuity and the staff are keeping players very happy. Team morale means everything when the results aren't coming in. We've gone through rough patches and yet the only thing we've hear come out from the squad is how they are all pulling in the right direction. Scott McTominay even went as far as going public and urging the board to back the manager. Unlike other managers, Ole has always had the support of this group of players, and now that we've gotten the results we came for this season their effort and camraderie will grow even stronger. It's essentially the hallmark of any cohesive unit that you don't throw blame around. I've not seen anyone throw any blame around at all. Even the most criticized player in this squad was embraced by the best player in this squad last night after his 2-0 goal. There is actual camraderie and a will to play for one another in this group and that is something that all the pounds in the world can't buy. You build that and the coaching staff has gone to enormous lengths to achieve just that. Ole has himself been vocal about a new player needs to have the right mentality to be a Mancheter United player. Being a good player isnt' enough, he needs to be one of the 'lads'. That is why we will never see a mercenary purchase like Angel Di Maria again as long as Ole is in charge.

5) Key players are signed on long contracts. Rashford just penned a new long term deal, Greenwood is about to sign a bumper deal, De Gea extended the rest of his career here. The only player we have on a soon outgoing contract is Paul Pogba, and having come from a place where he wants to move on, he's now in talks to sign a new contract. A player who is not happy where he is does not sign a new contract, he can run it out and be paid just as much in Madrid if he wants to. If Paul puts pent to paper and commits the rest of his prime years here, that is the last piece we need to confirm that absolutely everyone are aboard this new direction of the club.

6) Securing Champions League removes a potential financial and professional hurde of signing Jadon Sancho. A long term significant target, he's going to essentially complete what is the most dangerous forward group going forward along with Liverpool. This deal will get done eventually and Sancho will be a Manchester United player soon enough.

7) We can actually go into the playoffs of a major trophy and be inredibly chill about it. No doubt we are one of the favorites to take it home, and with some solid rest of a lot of the guys I think we will take it home, but right now we don't have to win it, but we very much can, and will.

This has been a very weird season that mirrors the 15/16 seasons with most top6 sides dropping points left and right. But that doesn't matter becuause at the end of the season we are in third and that is all that matters. You are not awarded rankings based on 'what ifs'.

In the opening game of the Premier League season we played the youngest squad in the Premier Leauge and beat Chelsea 4-0 at home. The key takeaway here is that this squad is very young and full of developing talent that will only get better.

There is a LOT to be extremely happy about this season, both with regards to overall rankings, individual player development, affirmation that the project is going as expected, the ovearll mood of the club that has not been this good since 2013, and the promise of a continued legacy of a football club that is different from everyone else.

Sir Alex said it as good as anyone could have in this exerpt from his farewell speech in front of 80,000 Manchester United fans at Old Trafford in 2013:

"I'd also like to remind you that when we had bad times at the club, all the staff stood by me, all the players stood by me. Your job now is to stand by your new manager.

I wish the players every success in the future You know how good you are, you know the jersey you're wearing and you know what it means to everyone here. Don't ever let yourselves down. The expectation is always there."

So maybe we the fans, should remember that we can have bad times, they come for any football club, and that we can afford ourselves the luxury of standing by the club, players and manager through thick and thin.
belongs here

Red00012

Chelski love conceding goals

Strelok

Henderson is 30
Van Dijk is 29
Firmino turns 29 in oct
Mane is 28
Salah is 28
Allison turns 28 in oct
Oxlade-Chamberlain is 27
Fabinho turns 27 in oct
Even Robertson is 26
Yeah but I'm of the opinion that those dippers would likely to be around for a while. Their system actually does not require world class players to function. Don't forget that all the players Klopp bought were no where near world class level when he bought them. It's him and his system who made them look world class.

Their midfielders are the easiest to replace. They are a bunch of decent, very hard working, great stamina midfielders. Those are not really hard and expensive to find.

Their attackers are much harder to replace but still doable. Fast, hard working, good movements, good finisher. Not necessarily world class. Expensive but you can find them definitely.

Imo the only key player who is really hard to replace is VVD. Still he has at least 3 years left I think.

It's a bloody miracle if we can beat them to the title in a few years time guys. Let's face that reality.

Blood Mage

I'm fecking relieved with how the season ended as we now have the platform to seriously improve our team, but I don't see a need for celebrations. Finishing 3rd should be the absolute bare minimum for us, we're not some plucky underdog team like Wolves or Everton trying to break into the top four. Standards have slipped so much. :rolleyes:

Maru229

Im happy with where we have ended up, but this in no way has been a great season. Lots to improve on, quality needed in many areas, we don't express ourselves at times. We need more maturity from many of our senior players. Bruno and Mason were a spark towards the end, but Bruno showed that he was tired the last couple of weeks what with his misplaced passes and losing possession easily. Martial I would say has been solid throughout. Thank god the others around us were inconsistent. The points tally shows us we really have not made much progress.

lysglimt

Scout
Yeah but I'm of the opinion that those dippers would likely to be around for a while. Their system actually does not require world class players to function. Don't forget that all the players Klopp bought were no where near world class level when he bought them. It's him and his system who made them look world class.

Their midfielders are the easiest to replace. They are a bunch of decent, very hard working, great stamina midfielders. Those are not really hard and expensive to find.

Their attackers are much harder to replace but still doable. Fast, hard working, good movements, good finisher. Not necessarily world class. Expensive but you can find them definitely.

Imo the only key player who is really hard to replace is VVD. Still he has at least 3 years left I think.

It's a bloody miracle if we can beat them to the title in a few years time guys. Let's face that reality.
I agree - 2020/21 is too soon, but it's not impossible that some of their players get injured or get a bit complancent and drop 5%

Mihai

Unsure what you mean by interpolate in this situation, but last 14 games; Liverpool 29pts, +11 gd - United 32pts +23 gd?
They took the points in the last 14 games for united alone, extended that to the full 38 games and compared that to Liverpool's total this season.

matt10000

I am not celebrating. I am happy we got into the CL but this is United we are talking about. Celebration is for winning the CL or the PL.
Must be fun in your house.........

“How was it for you darling!”

“I am not celebrating as we did NOT multi at orgasm at exactly the same time!”