Centre-back pairings

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think the "depth" is over-appreciated due to Lindelof's good form in the last third of last season. And when I say over-appreciated, I still know people think it's between poor and shit.

Varane and Shaw works as a pairing. As does Varane and Martinez. Varane and Lindelof is a level down. Lindelof and Shaw might be another level down from that.

Shaw and Martinez is too small and awkward with two left footers, Martinez and Lindelof is quite frail and lacks physicality. And Maguire and anyone else is calamitous.

In essence, without Varane we are a level down. And he's super injury prone. Out of ten possible pairings, two work, two are passable, six are nervy.

I hope we buy a centre back in January who can compete with Varane for his spot.

norm87cro

Firstv of all anybody that is under 6.1 feet (183 cm) isnt a CB (Shaw and Martinez). I dont care how "modern" football has evolved if you want to be a CB you need to head the ball. Lindelof is the worst CB this club has had since Blanc and isnt suited for this league. Maguire has no confidence any more since he has been the escapegoat for the last two years (aldo he is mid table PL quality at best). Varane is injury prone so in reality we need 2 CBs

Crashoutcassius

I think Varane will be replaced and would have been this summer if not for financial constraints. Lot of rumours we were looking at a right sided ball playing cb

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Shaw and Varane is our best partnership. Both are far too injury prone so really we need two next summer.

spe88

I still think Martinez would be suited to a CDM next to Casemiro / Amrabat and be able to drop into a back 5 when needed.

We desperately need another centre back. I’d be looking at Tomori or Guehi

OrcaFat

I think the "depth" is over-appreciated due to Lindelof's good form in the last third of last season. And when I say over-appreciated, I still know people think it's between poor and shit.

Varane and Shaw works as a pairing. As does Varane and Martinez. Varane and Lindelof is a level down. Lindelof and Shaw might be another level down from that.

Shaw and Martinez is too small and awkward with two left footers, Martinez and Lindelof is quite frail and lacks physicality. And Maguire and anyone else is calamitous.

In essence, without Varane we are a level down. And he's super injury prone. Out of ten possible pairings, two work, two are passable, six are nervy.

I hope we buy a centre back in January who can compete with Varane for his spot.
Yes. I was saying it all summer but the number of times I saw “Lindelof is fine as backup” was incredible. We probably did have higher priorities but we absolutely need another good CB.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
We certainly do need another usable cb who is good in the air, the drop off between with and without Varane is ostensibly too much to tolerate for this team. It's like a gaping blackhole appears when Varane isn't there and it's not a new thing for us.

We have known ever since he has been in Manchester and further back from when he was in Madrid that his fitness can be unreliable. But we just haven't gotten a damn substitute for him and it's hurt us on too many occasions. Our team falls to shit without our best defender at CB, it's simple.

jungledrums

Firstv of all anybody that is under 6.1 feet (183 cm) isnt a CB (Shaw and Martinez). I dont care how "modern" football has evolved if you want to be a CB you need to head the ball. Lindelof is the worst CB this club has had since Blanc and isnt suited for this league. Maguire has no confidence any more since he has been the escapegoat for the last two years (aldo he is mid table PL quality at best). Varane is injury prone so in reality we need 2 CBs
You tell ‘em norm

RuudTom83

So far this season there have been so many different partnerships all over the pitch, CB, FB, CM, Forward 3 all changing week to week.

Licha and Varane are the clear 1st choice.

If the midfield area was settles then you could get away with Licha and Lindelof.

OrcaFat

So far this season there have been so many different partnerships all over the pitch, CB, FB, CM, Forward 3 all changing week to week.

Licha and Varane are the clear 1st choice.

If the midfield area was settles then you could get away with Licha and Lindelof.
I don’t like it but, yeah, if the rest of the team is working well then it shouldn’t bring the whole house of cards down if Vic has to come in sometimes.

JediSith

I think Varane will be replaced and would have been this summer if not for financial constraints. Lot of rumours we were looking at a right sided ball playing cb
EtH priority signing was Kim Min-Jae. I think based on media reports he was certain United would get him and must have been very disappointed when the board screwed it up.

MegadrivePerson

Agree. It's also part of the reason we offer so little threat from corners too.

Bobski

Given how many thrashings Utd have taken away from home in the last year I don't think there is a single pairing, even Lisandro and Varane, that gives me full confidence. Ok to keep clean sheets at home in games you should be winning, but up against better quality, away from home is where you see the true level of a defensive set up.

Ten Hag's often baffling midfield set ups don't help them to be fair.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So ETH doesn't fancy Maguire-Varane as a pairing, which is understandable. The press hounded him for a dramatic "fall-out" answer but it was simply that Maguire is in good form hence Varane's on the bench. He said Varane and Martinez were brilliant, he also things Varane and Evans works, Varane and Lindelof.

"The build-up is not that fluid when one of them is playing from the left centre-half position". Goes on to say Licha, Shaw, and even Evans and Lindelof are comfortable on the left and can use their left foot allowing them to make the right angles.

Quite forthright.