Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROFLUTION

Hazard's addons could take the cost to over £150m according to the BBC* and that was with only a year left on his contract. Pogba will have 2 years left on his contract, will be younger than Hazard was when he made the move and he's the face of the club, we'll get what we ask for him.

* https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48548361
Let's see. Pogba's also more out of favor here than Hazard was at Chelsea. Don't think Real are able to splash money like that year after year neither. Maybe if they sell.

For a BBC article I think it's very light in detail about what allegedly makes up the fee rising to 150m. Only mentioned in the headline and under the picture, not even describing how it could rise to 150m.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Let's see. Pogba's also more out of favor here than Hazard was at Chelsea
How is Pogba out of favour? He's injured and has started every game he's been fit under Solskjaer.

ROFLUTION

How is Pogba out of favour? He's injured and has started every game he's been fit under Solskjaer.
At least half of the fans on here, seems to be quite alright with him leaving, so yeah. Anyways, just said he was more out of favor than Hazard at Chelsea.

AltiUn

At least half of the fans on here, seems to be quite alright with him leaving, so yeah. Anyways, just said he was more out of favor than Hazard at Chelsea.
Yeah but the fans don't really have a say in how in/out of favour he is. The only people whose opinions matter on whether he's in/out of favour are the coaching staff and it's pretty clear that he isn't out of favour with them.

ROFLUTION

Yeah but the fans don't really have a say in how in/out of favour he is. The only people whose opinions matter on whether he's in/out of favour are the coaching staff and it's pretty clear that he isn't out of favour with them.
Of course fans have a say indirectly, like when we hired a club man in Ole after Jose and the fans all wanted this. If the fans are not behind the player, the player usually doesn't perform to his best, and is therefore a worse asset than if they backed him. You can't completely say that Pogba's not out of favour with the staff neither. He's currently injured, but met Zidane in Dubai, and haven't since featured. Not sure any manager would consider meeting Zidane in these circumstances a great idea. Fergie would have completely booted him. None of us know for certain whether his injury is spin or not. Could be both.

Anyways, reuters reported about 100m euros / 89m gbp on Hazard, which others (Guardian) tout as the flat fee before add-ons. Real probably have to win the league and Champions League and Hazard score a lot of goals for the fee to go up 50m more. Still early days, but he's not started well in Madrid (1goal 1assist)

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-s...al-madrid-on-five-year-contract-idUKKCN1T82C5

AltiUn

Of course fans have a say indirectly, like when we hired a club man in Ole after Jose and the fans all wanted this. If the fans are not behind the player, the player usually doesn't perform to his best, and is therefore a worse asset than if they backed him. You can't completely say that Pogba's not out of favour with the staff neither. He's currently injured, but met Zidane in Dubai, and haven't since featured. Not sure any manager would consider meeting Zidane in these circumstances a great idea. Fergie would have completely booted him. None of us know for certain whether his injury is spin or not. Could be both.

Anyways, reuters reported about 100m euros / 89m gbp on Hazard, which others (Guardian) tout as the flat fee before add-ons. Real probably have to win the league and Champions League and Hazard score a lot of goals for the fee to go up 50m more. Still early days, but he's not started well in Madrid (1goal 1assist)

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-s...al-madrid-on-five-year-contract-idUKKCN1T82C5
That's not what I'm saying, I said the fans didn't have a say whether he's considered in or out of favour and their opinion wouldn't matter to the United higher-ups during transfer negotiations and only the opinions of the staff would. Madrid couldn't say he's out of favour with the club if he's starting every game but then say "well, some of the fans don't like him so he's out of favour so his price should be lowered". The second part of your point regarding Pogba and his favour with the staff rests on speculation, I'm not getting into conspiracy theories, Pogba is and has been very clearly injured. He was wearing a medical boot up until last week which is evidence enough to suggest he's been injured.

DanClancy

We could also just compare a signing of Eriksen to having Lingard/Mata at the moment. Lingard is on 70k, Mata is on 130k - Ship them both off, use Pereira for backup, and we probably have about the same amount (200k) a week wages for Eriksen around. Even if he demands 400k a week (210k more), it'd stil just be an expense of 32m for at least 3 years of good service. Good business? Seems like a small gamble to me.

Maddison on the other hand would probably be about 100m in fee and ~30m in wages over 3 years but of course as you say also have a sell value. I doubt that other clubs will pay the same as the "United-inflated price" in 3-4 years when he's 28 - He might even pull an Eriksen/Ramsey and we get very little when selling him like we see with Pogba now. So that would make the recoup value about 50m at best maybe. Maddison isn't sexy business brand-wise I'd say. We're still overpaying somehow I think. But it all comes back to whether the player's performance is worth the outlay. For 10-32m over 3 years I think Eriksen definitely is a value-signing.

I'd have thought most United fans will have learned their lessons from the Sanchez fiasco, paying someone obscene money that their not worth is going to cause chaos amongst the rest of the squad. United should stay well clear of him.

Russell_eire

Would have loved to have seen him signed 18 months ago, but as already said, it would be another Sánchez situation. There are a lot of miles on his clock (often a better indicator than age). Italy would be the place for him now with his pace.

ROFLUTION

I'd have thought most United fans will have learned their lessons from the Sanchez fiasco, paying someone obscene money that their not worth is going to cause chaos amongst the rest of the squad. United should stay well clear of him.
If what he wants is 200k or 250k + a sign on fee, how is that going to cause unrest as he'd be a keyplayer?

The calculations have been made in some posts above - He'd be a very low risk signing, and we'd give 30-40m all in all for 3-4 years of good and decent service.

Just because Sanchez was a fiasco, it seems like every new signing will be too. Very small sample to judge from. Eriksen doesn't rely on pace neither.

DanClancy

If what he wants is 200k or 250k + a sign on fee, how is that going to cause unrest as he'd be a keyplayer?

The calculations have been made in some posts above - He'd be a very low risk signing, and we'd give 30-40m all in all for 3-4 years of good and decent service.

Just because Sanchez was a fiasco, it seems like every new signing will be too. Very small sample to judge from. Eriksen doesn't rely on pace neither.
Eriksen would be looking for a package around £80m over 4 years when he'll be worth nothing given his age. Whatever way its dressed up the money is all going to go to Eriksen and every top player who signs or wants a new contract will be looking for a similar figure.

croadyman

I just don't get how people sees this as a "big gamble". He'll be on a free and has the same abilities like Maddison when played regularly.

Big wages maybe, but he'd be decent for us for 2-3 years at least. We both need squad depth and players to make us tick. What's the gamble? It's low risk, high reward and we could still sign other prospects while having Eriksen.
That is my thoughts on the situation too,however I can also see people's point of view that he is on the decline now and is a big risk.

Bulldog United

That is my thoughts on the situation too,however I can also see people's point of view that he is on the decline now and is a big risk.
A big chunk of the transfer fee that would have gone to Spurs will go to Eriksen and his agent in signing bonuses instead. The rest will be swallowed up in increased wages on a longish contract. So while on the surface it looks low risk, it could quickly turn into another very expensive mistake if his form doesn't suddenly pickup.

Needham

Eriksen would be looking for a package around £80m over 4 years when he'll be worth nothing given his age. Whatever way its dressed up the money is all going to go to Eriksen and every top player who signs or wants a new contract will be looking for a similar figure.
All for being able to trap a leather bag. fecking stunning.

ROFLUTION

Are you just completely blind to numbers? We just did the math above, and 80m doesn't seem realistic at all. You're making stuff up and scaring people for no reason. You just grabbed 80m out of your ass. We compared with other similar-players like Ramsey on a free above.

poleglass red

the connection people are making with Sanchez is because it is still very fresh. Is it justified, maybe, maybe not. Both were top class players whose form has dipped. Sanchez just isn't the same player anymore, simple as. Eriksen's form may have dipped simply because he's checked out at Spurs. Has wanted to leave, knows he's leaving and needs a fresh start. If that's the case then although not great character wise he could still return to his previous top class form. I watched him v Ireland and he was poor, he was being marked by Glen Whelan and he didn't look great. I'd still be inclined to take him but I'd be skeptical whereas if he had come in the summer, I'd of been delighted. As I say though maybe just needs a move to recharge his batteries.

ROFLUTION

the connection people are making with Sanchez is because it is still very fresh. Is it justified, maybe, maybe not. Both were top class players whose form has dipped. Sanchez just isn't the same player anymore, simple as. Eriksen's form may have dipped simply because he's checked out at Spurs. Has wanted to leave, knows he's leaving and needs a fresh start. If that's the case then although not great character wise he could still return to his previous top class form. I watched him v Ireland and he was poor, he was being marked by Glen Whelan and he didn't look great. I'd still be inclined to take him but I'd be skeptical whereas if he had come in the summer, I'd of been delighted. As I say though maybe just needs a move to recharge his batteries.
poor is harsh. He was surrounded at all times, and yet he still managed to get out of the pressure, by making clever moves, when surrounded by more physical players. Did look slow though, but maybe he's always been. Wasn't a bad game at all I think.

croadyman

Personally I think this is a tricky one because can't tell if he just needs a new challenge to revitalise him or if he is really starting to decline like we have seen with Mata.

SweetRightFoot

Not sure I can see a system with both him and Pogba in and I know which one I'd like to have in the squad.

manutddjw

I’ll say what I said about Sanchez. If there’s players in our squad who’d get unsettled because someone comes in and earns more then they can piss off. If we can bring in a top player that will help the club, they should be happy about it rather than get sad that they make more. When we signed RVP, he became the second highest earner at the club and our players were giddy because they knew he could be the reason we won the title.

Bwuk

I reckon Spurs would sell gladly in January.
Mourinho will play Dele Alli ahead of him if he isn’t going to resign.

Gordon S

I’ll say what I said about Sanchez. If there’s players in our squad who’d get unsettled because someone comes in and earns more then they can piss off. If we can bring in a top player that will help the club, they should be happy about it rather than get sad that they make more. When we signed RVP, he became the second highest earner at the club and our players were giddy because they knew he could be the reason we won the title.
If the player that comes in performs at a good level i don't think anyone complains, no matter what the club is paying him. But if that player performs like Sanchez did, then you have a problem. A big expensive problem.

Alfie092

Serious question. If we were to sign him in January (not sure how I would feel about the signing), how much would Spurs want for him and how much would he ask for in wages?

If the transfer fee and wage demands are reasonable I would take a punt on him, purely because I have been a massive fan of his over the years and have really enjoyed watching him play. Only reason I have doubts is because of his dip in form, this signing reminds me too much of the Sanchez deal (maybe because it's still fresh in my mind :() and the fact we just don't have much luck with players of his ilk...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We signed dudes with younger players like Mata, Bailly, Rojo, Jones, Lindelof, Di Maria, Fellaini, Schneiderlin. Should we stop signing players at their age?

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Was back on good form last night what ever Jose has said to him, will be interesting to see if any of the 3 or 4 want away players will be convinced to stay.

arthurka

Was back on good form last night what ever Jose has said to him, will be interesting to see if any of the 3 or 4 want away players will be convinced to stay.
Nothing he says will convince them, they are going for the Benjamins this time and only Levy will have that power.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Nothing he says will convince them, they are going for the Benjamins this time and only Levy will have that power.
I agree its the money they are after, could possibly convince Aurier he has a place, has looked a lot better in Jose's system and Rose (meh). When Eriksen goes, we certainly need Bruno in January or summer.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
When Eriksen goes, we certainly need Bruno in January or summer.
I believe that Bruno has just signed a new contract with an £85M release clause.
But I think Dele Alli would be more akin to a Mourinho style of #10

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Doesn't he want to go to Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.