Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

settembrini

Pogba/Pereira - Eriksen/McTominay
Fred/Rice

Would be a dream set of midfielders for next season.

Sadly I think it will remain a dream unless Eriksen has his heart set on United which seems unlikely.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Pogba/Pereira - Eriksen/McTominay
Fred/Rice

Would be a dream set of midfielders for next season.

Sadly I think it will remain a dream unless Eriksen has his heart set on United which seems unlikely.
Lord help whoever is in that DM position if his partners are Pogba and Eriksen.

Eriksen has never had to really have any defensive responsibility and we know how it goes when we try to get Pogba to do it.

Carl

I'd happily see us pay up to 100m for this guy. Have is the type of elite playmaker we lack
He has pretty alarming peaks and troughs throughout the season though, which is why I think he's been at Spurs for so long.

Also, I weap for any playmaker coming into this team with its frightening lack of movement.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He can play in a 3 with Pogba.

I’m all for adding a world class player with his age profile. Preferably one in the front line too.
More likely he plays the role Juan Mata thinks he’s been playing for the past 4 years. A whole load better at it too.

settembrini

Eriksen has never had to really have any defensive responsibility and we know how it goes when we try to get Pogba to do it.
It would be fine. City play the same system and Eriksen is no worse defensively than Silva or De Bruyne and Pogba is better than both as he showed yesterday.

Obviously you need a top quality DM (like Fernandinho and definitely not Matic!) but Fred was good enough in that role at Shatkar that Guardiola tried to bring him to City to succeed Fernandinho and now we are finally using him in a defensive position for us he's coming good. Rice also seems very impressive and watching him yesterday I don't understand all the hand wringing about his passing, he wins the ball and quickly gives it to attacking players, exactly what his job should be.

Eriksen does a lot of work off the ball tbh

Carl

If we get a good DM we wouldn't need him to drop deep.
I disagree. Pogba does nowhere near enough defensively. Cannot be relied upon whatsoever. Even a prime Keane wouldn't be able to handle that kind of isolation against the modern 3 man midfield.

Look at the kind of midfielders Eriksen has played with at Spurs to allow him to thrive. Always got 2 of the likes of Dembele, Dier, Wanyama etc. Having said that, in more recent times he's been operating from a wideish left spot. From there he'd probably just occupy the same spaces as Pogba.

Nick.

We could play a diamond with Eriksen at the tip.

Martial Rashford
Eriksen
Pogba CM
DM

Shaw CB Lindelöf Dalot
De Gea
That could work quite well although it's a little young and inexperienced. But I think Eriksen would make our build up better, and building up has been a problem for us for years now since we misplace passes so often.

Last edited:
I disagree. Pogba does nowhere near enough defensively. Cannot be relied upon whatsoever. Even a prime Keane wouldn't be able to handle that kind of isolation against the modern 3 man midfield.

Look at the kind of midfielders Eriksen has played with at Spurs to allow him to thrive. Always got 2 of the likes of Dembele, Dier, Wanyama etc. Having said that, in more recent times he's been operating from a wideish left spot. From there he'd probably just occupy the same spaces as Pogba.
It could definaltey work you just need to bring in a DM that can cover alot of ground someone like Kante for example.

This season Eriksen has mainly played with Winks and Sissioko in midfield, the others have all been injured.

Sanche7

How about a 4-4-2 with Fred and the new DM covering for Pogba and Eriksen?
Eriksen as #10 with Pogba as LCM or vice versa more like a 4-2-2-2

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It works for city because Fernandinho is so good. It is not a feasible plan for united unless they plan a major upgrade at DM

Skills

Snitch
Crazy to think that he’s only on £80.000 p/w. I mean with what some of the other top talents in the league are making.

Eriksen, along with Coutinho, is my ultimate muppet signing. Hope to feck you don’t get him.
Should've sacked his agent for making him sign such a long deal at Spurs with the way salaries were changing. If you're a talented player who's ambitious enough to aim for big trophies, you should only sign for Spurs on a 3 year contract. Or else, you're screwing yourself.

Carl

It could definaltey work you just need to bring in a DM that can cover alot of ground someone like Kante for example.

This season Eriksen has mainly played with Winks and Sissioko in midfield, the others have all been injured.
Kante is an awful example TBF. He's not really a DM. In fact, when he's thrived in CM he's always been accompanied by a true DM.

How about a 4-4-2 with Fred and the new DM covering for Pogba and Eriksen?
Eriksen as #10 with Pogba as LCM or vice versa
Frightening lack of pace there though surely.

Mcking

A good manager can make it work with a DM like Rodri, Rice or Casemiro. Poch play Winks, Sissoko and Eriksen in midfield, no problem.

Sanche7

Should've sacked his agent for making him sign such a long deal at Spurs with the way salaries were changing. If you're a talented player who's ambitious enough to aim for big trophies, you should only sign for Spurs on a 3 year contract. Or else, you're screwing yourself.
Well that's why Spurs pay them agents good money :

Spurs spend £11m on agent fees despite not signing a single player

https://90maat.com/spurs-spend-11m-on-agent-fees-despite-not-signing-a-single-player/

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Our only chance is if other clubs are priced out by Eriksen.

Skills

Snitch
It works for city because Fernandinho is so good. It is not a feasible plan for united unless they plan a major upgrade at DM
And the fact it's Guardiola. I don't think any other manager around is can make it work as well, and even Guardiola struggled to get it right in his first season.

Sanche7

Frightening lack of pace there though surely.
The forwards will be lightning quick, don't think the whole midfield have to be fast if they can move the ball quickly and pick the right pass, you don't need lightning quick CMs. Just look at City's midfield, there's no lightning quick player in that midfield
Also Real won three consecutive CL titles with Kroos, Casemero and Modric

Kante is an awful example TBF. He's not really a DM. In fact, when he's thrived in CM he's always been accompanied by a true DM.
Kante has always been a DM. When he won the league with Leicester he was partnered with Drinkwater, in the France team he plays along side Pogba and at Chelsea he did all the defensive work alongside Matic.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Still the best player at Spurs in my eyes.
Works more than Kante, two-footed, playmaker who can be pressed, scores and creates. Versatile.

Also don't think for a second that we are getting him. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up at Real or Barcelona on a free.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Just at Liverpool, we’ve got 14 players earning more than Eriksen, including Milner, Matip, Sturridge and Lallana:lol:

Carl

The forwards will be lightning quick, don't think the whole midfield have to be fast if they can move the ball quickly and pick the right pass, you don't need lightning quick CMs. Just look at City's midfield, there's no lightning quick player in that midfield
Also Real won three consecutive CL titles with Kroos, Casemero and Modric
Ronaldo.

Carl

Kante has always been a DM. When he won the league with Leicester he was partnered with Drinkwater, in the France team he plays along side Pogba and at Chelsea he did all the defensive work alongside Matic.
Drinkwater sat at Leicester. Matic sat at Chelsea. Matuidi sat for France (or at the very least they shared)

He's never been the sitter, which is effectively what we would need for that to work. He's always been a box to box destroyer (apart from when he's bizarrely played out on the right wing).

settembrini

Many of the most dominant teams in recent years have achieved their success by having a single defensive midfielder and then two more attacking ones. Barcelona dominated with Busquets covering for Xavi and Iniesta, Madrid won all those CLs with Casemiro behind Modric and Kroos and City have been wrecking the PL since Guardiola realised he could play a Fernandinho/Silva/De Bruyne trio.

If you personally prefer a more defensive system that's fine but the idea that teams should only be playing with a single creative/attacking midfielder like we do with Pogba at the moment seems outdated.

Mcking

Drinkwater sat at Leicester. Matic sat at Chelsea. Matuidi sat for France (or at the very least they shared)

He's never been the sitter, which is effectively what we would need for that to work. He's always been a box to box destroyer (apart from when he's bizarrely played out on the right wing).
The current France team?

Carl

Many of the most dominant teams in recent years have achieved their success by having a single defensive midfielder and then two more attacking ones. Barcelona dominated with Busquets covering for Xavi and Iniesta, Madrid won all those CLs with Casemiro behind Modric and Kroos and City have been wrecking the PL since Guardiola realised he could play a Fernandinho/Silva/De Bruyne trio.

If you personally prefer a more defensive system that's fine but the idea that teams should only be playing with a single creative/attacking midfielder like we do with Pogba at the moment seems outdated.
I agree. But in Busquets and Fernandinho we have 2 of the best DMs in world football. Genuine world class talent. That's what we'd need to make it work.

Madrid example is totally different. All those 3 contribute a lot to the defensive side of the game. Heck, Modric had Tom Huddlestone as a defensive partner once upon a time.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

The other poster is correct. Casemiro carried Modric and Kroos to 3 UCL titles and a league win. Kroos is worse defensively than Pogba. Whilst modric is like Ericksen

POF

He would be fantastic at United. Ole has been rotating Lingard and Mata in the number 10 role, yet people don't think Eriksen would fit? He also plays in a midfield 3 for Spurs very often so would give so many options in midfield. He is also very creative and regularly produces game defining plays in key moments.

With one year left on his contract and the money United has, he should be very gettable Levy or not.

But United are not at all savvy in the market so there is no chance.

3KDré

I don’t understand this. We’ve seen many a good defensive performance from Pogba.

Patrick08

He could play on the right for a year.

Mcking

I haven't watched France since the WC to be fair.
They have been playing mostly with the same XI since the world cup. Even at the world cup, Matuidi did not play as the sitting midfielder, it was between Kante and Pogba, mostly Kante.

Hughes35

I doubt it will happen. However, people act like spurs have never dealt with Utd before. We bought Carrick and Berbatov from them so it has happened.

Coops73

I really like Eriksen, one of my favourite players in the prem and he’d be perfect for us but this just isn’t going to happen and every time I say it something inside of me dies....unless it’s that curry I had last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.