Citeh pull out of reserves league

MUFC07

It says here that they won't be playing week in week out, though, and I don't really know how good is that for their development, they should be playing opposition on a regular basis in my opinion.

"'Our purpose is to develop a Champions League player and it will replicate what that's like." Come on, you need league players as well. If I were director of football, I wouldn't have made that call, but let's see how it turns out for them.

MPTutd

Very poor idea IMO.

What happens if they got knocked out in the league stage? No games after Xmas?

cj_sparky

Those poor Elite Development players......what will they do now?

RedRover

Very poor idea IMO.

What happens if they got knocked out in the league stage? No games after Xmas?
I'm not sure why they couldn't still have a side in the reserve league?

If its going to be set up like the Champions League whats stopping them using a few more players and playing in both?

Danish Wizard

It might be as little as 6 games then..

Sixteen clubs including Barcelona and Inter Milan have confirmed their involvement in The Nextgen Series - a six-month format which allows the continent's top young footballers to compete against each other week in, week out for the first time.

Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur, PSV, Celtic and Sporting Lisbon will also take part.

Sanctioned by UEFA and the FA, the tournament has been established to help Europe's best teenagers make the transition from youth football to senior level.

Four groups of four teams will battle it out home and away from August, with the top two progressing to the knockout stages which begin in January.

The tournament is the brainchild of ex-pro and former Watford Academy manager Mark Warburton and TV producer Justin Andrews.

Warburton said: "The Nextgen Series will provide a cognitive learning environment for players to experience how best to cope with the pressures of top-level football."

Organisers believe young players will benefit from travelling abroad and facing new styles of play, as well as being officiated by top referees and having to deal with media interest.

Clubs confirmed include Barcelona, Inter Milan, Liverpool, Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur, Aston Villa, Marseille, Sporting Lisbon, Wolfsburg, Molde, PSV, Celtic, FC Basel, Fenerbahce and Rosenborg.

For more information visit The NextGen Series - Step into the future of football

Heffo

Seems an odd decision, as others have said what if they get knocked out in the group stages. In addition to that I see the tournament is only for under 19's, which mean can't be used to bring players back to fitness and that. Also basically means if a player is overage but not first team standard yet he has to either be shipped out on loan or sold.

Having said that this is the first I've seen of the "NextGen series" and to be honest I quite like the idea. In addition to the benefits already mentioned it would also give English clubs a chance to see young talents from clubs such as Sporting Lisbon first hand. If United get offered a place in the future I hope they'll take it, provided it doesn't mean them having to pull out of the Reserve League.

Valentino

that nextgen sounds like super exciting tournament. wish United were in it. I am not a fan of reserve team. I think arrange a series of friendly games against decent opposition would be more beneficial than to play in that league.

forevrared

Seems an odd decision, as others have said what if they get knocked out in the group stages. In addition to that I see the tournament is only for under 19's, which mean can't be used to bring players back to fitness and that. Also basically means if a player is overage but not first team standard yet he has to either be shipped out on loan or sold.

Having said that this is the first I've seen of the "NextGen series" and to be honest I quite like the idea. In addition to the benefits already mentioned it would also give English clubs a chance to see young talents from clubs such as Sporting Lisbon first hand. If United get offered a place in the future I hope they'll take it, provided it doesn't mean them having to pull out of the Reserve League.
I'd echo most of what you said - seems like a potentially great idea, but not one that should full take the place of the reserve league. For an addition to the normal schedule, it'd be great. In its current state, it seems really risky.

As you said, given the age restrictions, you've got no way (other than training matches) to bring players back from injury and get game sharpness when you're out of the first team picture. As the league becomes more and more competitive, players are going to start breaking through later and later - and this 'NextGen' series leaves a huge gap where there's nowhere for a player to play without being loaned out that just so happens to be a key stage of player development.

PS18

Think they're quite wisely taking a watching brief for the first year and are potentially lined up for 2012/13 if it's a success.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Manchester City Elite Development Squad in the NextGen Series?
Don't you know they "will be at the forefront of a football revolution this season when the club's young players tackle Europe's elite"?!?
Manchester City to play Barcelona in new European elite youth football development - Manchester City FC

I simply have to :lol: at the horror of it all before I try and give a serious answer, which is -- no, I don't think it's a good idea. As an addition to the league, absolutely, but not as a substitute. I can't understand why they feel the need to pull out of the league, or how they're going to provide enough games for the reserves, even if they go far in this NextGen Series. (Which seems like a good idea burdened with an unfortunate name. (Same tipsy copywriter who came up with 'Elite Development Squad'?))

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
They're producing a new 'City Victory pin' as we speak. :D