CL vs Pl - difference in requirements

Rod

Any tactical experts out there care to comment on the difference (if any) in what's required to win the Premiership and the Champions league ?
Bearing in mind that Arsenal now seem to be putting in a slightly stronger PL performance, yet they are where United were a few years ago in the CL, i.e. still struggling for consistency (look at vs Deportivo).
United in the past seemed to run into teams in the PL QF who can beat their "we'll concede 2 but score 3" game by shutting them down, but they get away with it in the PL (e.g. Spurs, West Ham). Remember Monaco, Dortmund, and Bayern last year. We couldn't score, or got just 1 (Monaco).
And this year we lost the high-scoring games against Deportivo.
So, my question... is SAF's CL tactic now to build a team and tactics which can actually Win single-goal QFs & SFs ? And how much of an improvement in this area were this year's 2 games agains Bayern ?

edmund

Originally posted by Rod:
<strong>Any tactical experts out there care to comment on the difference (if any) in what's required to win the Premiership and the Champions league ?
Bearing in mind that Arsenal now seem to be putting in a slightly stronger PL performance, yet they are where United were a few years ago in the CL, i.e. still struggling for consistency (look at vs Deportivo).
United in the past seemed to run into teams in the PL QF who can beat their "we'll concede 2 but score 3" game by shutting them down, but they get away with it in the PL (e.g. Spurs, West Ham). Remember Monaco, Dortmund, and Bayern last year. We couldn't score, or got just 1 (Monaco).
And this year we lost the high-scoring games against Deportivo.
So, my question... is SAF's CL tactic now to build a team and tactics which can actually Win single-goal QFs & SFs ? And how much of an improvement in this area were this year's 2 games agains Bayern ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

all great teams are built on rock solid defences milan when they last won CL, Real, Bayern to name a few.
and the 4-4-2 system we're using right now would be just great because as long as the attackers know they can rely on the defence to keep things out they can mess with other peoples defences.
AND players need to have desire and commitment when playing huge teams because other teams bring that into their game during big matches and we need to do exactly that

uranushk1

I'd Bellion if I said I were an optimist
Well the most basic thing for any great team is a balance in attack and defence, and don't have any fatal weakness in any department, which I have already said a dozen times. Winning games in 3-2 and 1-0 are just equally important, because it is simply an unrealistic feat to ask any attackers in the world to score several goals in every matches against any opponents. We lost in CL in last two seasons because we conceded too many goals too early and we can never get back from it at that level.

Fergie also identified this problem, so he said we should be more conservative and pack the midfield to stop opponents easily overwhelm our defence when playing away in Europe. The 4-4-1-1/4-5-1 system is also decided for this purpose and I can see Fergie will insist to play this system in every away matches in Europe this season. Because Fergie failed to buy better defenders in this season, therefore the new formation and tactic is our only hope left to improve our defence for the challenge in the CL.