Conditional contracts / reduction of wage for bad future players

ROFLUTION

Is it possible to do a contract with certain conditions to reduce a players wage with 25-30% when a player don't play in half a year or if a player is injured over 30-50% of his contract?

We've seen so many of these player-problems where we end up dealing with a mess like Sancho, Falcao, Pogba, etc, who can't be sold. Martial, Jones, etc has been injured so much, just sitting there on huge wages. Even if their wage is reduced by 25-30% the rest of their wages is definitely enough to have them live decently for the rest of their lives.

Why is no one doing it? It would cut losses massively as it will give the player who's sulking up (Sancho) an incentive to move on from his bumper contract to play elsewhere.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
You can do it but i am sure most players wont sign it. They rather take a cheaper wage somewhere else without all the clauses.

ROFLUTION

You can do it but i am sure most players wont sign it. They rather take a cheaper wage somewhere else without all the clauses.
But it's only 25-30% wage loss. I'm pretty sure we already have -20% or -25% contracts for that when we miss out on Champions League, so the players are already on boat to some extend that there's certain conditions to be met to fulfill a contract.

The clubs could also form a union for everyone to try and have the same type of contract as a basic thing everyone has. I'm sure Barcelona didn't like it neither when Dembele was playing Counter Strike instead of playing football.

JogaBonitoRooney

How would you measure it?
Strikers lose pay if they don't get certain number of goals / assists
Midfielders lose pay if they don't get certain number of assists, passing percentage, tackles made, metres run?
Defenders and keepers lose pay if they don't keep certain number of clean sheets?
This might be a turn off for players to sign plus it might impact how the team plays. Eg one striker hogging the ball and trying to score all the time instead of passing so he keeps his high wage or defender not helping with offensive play cause playing too cautious.

If a player is doesn't play enough games, even through injury, they lose pay? You may not want that for a really good player who becomes unhappy from a big injury to lose pay but is definitely a type of player you want around once they are fit again.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Hardly any player will accept that, but we can always not overpay every single player we buy.

Things like paying Antony 3-5 times what he was earning with already overpaying his transfer, or making Rashford most paid playwr in the league when he wouldn't get that elsewhere would be a good start. I am sure even players like Malacia earn three times more than they did at their club, and there is no club that would pay them anywhere near that.

ROFLUTION

How would you measure it?
Strikers lose pay if they don't get certain number of goals / assists
Midfielders lose pay if they don't get certain number of assists, passing percentage, tackles made, metres run?
Defenders and keepers lose pay if they don't keep certain number of clean sheets?
This might be a turn off for players to sign plus it might impact how the team plays. Eg one striker hogging the ball and trying to score all the time instead of passing so he keeps his high wage or defender not helping with offensive play cause playing too cautious.

If a player is doesn't play enough games, even through injury, they lose pay? You may not want that for a really good player who becomes unhappy from a big injury to lose pay but is definitely a type of player you want around once they are fit again.
Mostly through playing games and not by goals/assists/clean sheets. They'd be incentivised to do everything to get in the squad by having such a contract.

The games missed due to injury (medical staff enters here) will then not be part of that number.

So if games are missed due to being crap for instance: Lose 25% of your salary

If games are missed due to injury: Lose 10% of your salary, depending of how long you are out. If you are out for extended long periods, then lose up to 30 or 50%. (Jones, Martial)

ROFLUTION

Hardly any player will accept that, but we can always not overpay every single player we buy.

Things like paying Antony 3-5 times what he was earning with already overpaying his transfer, or making Rashford most paid playwr in the league when he wouldn't get that elsewhere would be a good start. I am sure even players like Malacia earn three times more than they did at their club, and there is no club that would pay them anywhere near that.
But then again, if you find the players that are on board with this type of contract, you'd also create a situation where Rashford wouldn't run around lazily in 20% of the games because he has no competition or someone hungry on the bench who really wants his place. It would benefit at player like Rashford to perform more if you ask me

Trequarista10

Goal, clean sheet and appearance bonuses are very common (I've read/heard most pro contracts include them).

Not hitting bonuses is essentially the same as a reduction.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
was thinking of that as well, ideal but nowhere near realistic scenario that i got was:
every player in the squad gets the same contract
for every game you win you get a bonus on your wage, those that play get more then those that dont
every trophy its a bonus
league position you get a bonus, lets say from top 4 up
at the end of the season players will chose 3(max) standout players, coaches the same and those get bonus as well
remove individual bonuses for goals/assists/cs and make it a team based....everyone gets a bonus for every cs and for every goal

its a dream world i know but probably the best performance based contract, at least that i can think of.

Last edited:

Paul778

We kind of already do that...

Remember when we didn't qualify for the CL and players no longer get their associated bonuses. One of the only bright sides in not qualifying this year is if players have lost that 30% bonus (picking a number here) it might make it easier to shift them during the summer.

If fact it might actually explain why ETH is still here. If might be easier to sack him with a smaller payout once CL is mathematically unattainable.

gajender

@ROFLUTION @Amar__ Match fees or appearance fee is a legit part of most players compensation across the Clubs can't comment about the exact figures but if players miss games for whatever reasons their earning capacity is certainly impacted .