Congratulations To Brian Lara

Drifter

American
On beating the world record once again in cricket for the West Indies. :D

Nate

Poached vegetables a speciality
Yeah England are crap.

That's why they battered the WI all series, shock horror Lara finally comes to the dance when the series is finished.

Besides they didn't want to get whitewashed and made sure they wouldn't by preparing a pitch that ensured that.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Wibble said:
Shame it wasn't against quality opposition
true, the achievement would have had more significance if it had been against the Aussies

Drifter

American
Nate said:
Yeah England are crap.

That's why they battered the WI all series, shock horror Lara finally comes to the dance when the series is finished.

Besides they didn't want to get whitewashed and made sure they wouldn't by preparing a pitch that ensured that.

You sound very bitter .Cricket is about sportsmanship and there is not a player from around the cricketing world that did not acknowledge Brian Lara's incredible performance.To stay out in that heat and keep yorur concentration for two days to knock up 400 runs is truely World Class.And also if you think that england would never prepare the ground to suit there ends then you are very naive.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Nate said:
Yeah England are crap.

:lol:

that has to come from the Houillier school of excuses

Looking Busy

He does have a point. The one way to tip the scales in favour of a draw is to prepare a flat pitch that is good for batting.

All teams around the world prepare pitches to suit the home team. It happens, simple as that

Lara's acheivement is fantastic. Take nothing away from it. to score 400 is a great acheivement, however it does show the lack of confidence in their bowling that they batted for so long.

Nate

I'm taking nothing away from him personally.

Just a shame he couldn't bat for his team when they really needed him.

England won this series at a trot and made Lara look shite on a decent pitch, now they have a flat true wicket on which Lara bats very well but really its for nothing.

Lara should have stood up when they needed him most, instead England worked him over well and he looked average on a good pitch.

Nate

Besides he was very very lucky to have not been out without even scoring.

Then to have MV given out when the ball was so far away from the bat was a fecking joke.

Drifter

American
Nate said:
I'm taking nothing away from him personally.

Just a shame he couldn't bat for his team when they really needed him.

England won this series at a trot and made Lara look shite on a decent pitch, now they have a flat true wicket on which Lara bats very well but really its for nothing.

Lara should have stood up when they needed him most, instead England worked him over well and he looked average on a good pitch.

But the record books will show Brian Lara the greatest batsman that ever played the game .So get over it .This bitterness is just not cricket. :D

Nate

Drifter said:
But the record books will show Brian Lara the greatest batsman that ever played the game

No it shows he scored the most runs scored by one player in a innings.

nealn

Nate said:
No it shows he scored the most runs scored by one player in a innings.
Exactly... In terms of technique Bradman was the best and even in the modern era there are a lot of arguments to say that Tendulkar is a more technically proficent exponant of batting than Lara.

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
nealn said:
Exactly... In terms of technique Bradman was the best and even in the modern era there are a lot of arguments to say that Tendulkar is a more technically proficent exponant of batting than Lara.

Not sure about Bradman being text book.... or even Sachin for that matter. From the clips I've seen, Bradman didn't always play straight, infact he opened the face on many occasions.... I'd say Sachin is the nearest thing to Bradman interms of technique. However, both can't be regarded as the most technically correct batsmen ever.

Lara's still probably the best batsmen around at the top of his game. Sehwag the most exciting.... and Tendulkar the most consistent.(even though he's had a dodgy year or so)

Viv's the best I've seen. Amazing player. I doubt the world's seen a better batsmen.

As for Bradman, I very much doubt he would've made the amount of runs he did, against genuine pace bowlers from 70's onwards.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
giggzy said:
Not sure about Bradman being text book.... or even Sachin for that matter. From the clips I've seen, Bradman didn't always play straight, infact he opened the face on many occasions.... I'd say Sachin is the nearest thing to Bradman interms of technique. However, both can't be regarded as the most technically correct batsmen ever.

Lara's still probably the best batsmen around at the top of his game. Sehwag the most exciting.... and Tendulkar the most consistent.(even though he's had a dodgy year or so)

Viv's the best I've seen. Amazing player. I doubt the world's seen a better batsmen.

As for Bradman, I very much doubt he would've made the amount of runs he did, against genuine pace bowlers from 70's onwards.
Always hard to compare eras but Bradman was a freak who stood head and shoulders above all other batsmen of his era. His technique was highly unique and therfore he was anything but textbook.

nealn

Wibble said:
Always hard to compare eras but Bradman was a freak who stood head and shoulders above all other batsmen of his era. His technique was highly unique and therfore he was anything but textbook.
Yeah... When I said Bradman had the best technique I meant most effective for him to utilise. The better word for me to have used was ability. He was anything but textbook and should not have achieved what he did with the way that he played so square with an open face. The thing was he was bloody good at utilising it, so much so that many Australians attempted to emulate his technique but didn't have the talent to pull it off!

I would still say Tendulkar is slightly more technically proficent and able than Lara. Lara is a fantastic attacking batsman but there's something about the way the "Little Master" plys his trade that makes you feel that he is a more solid batsman. The reason Sachin has been so consistent is that he has such a solid technique. Lara's technique is such that when he's in a good vein of form he's unstoppable. But when he's in a bad run of form he can be pretty average. For example to the full pitched ball he tends to ondrive or play through midwicket (very Bradmanesque in that sense), however in a bad run of form he can play around the ball and end up getting out lbw or bowled or just get a leading edge. He's also notoriously bad at "stealing" a single and often his shot selection can be acccused of being poor. In a good run of form he'll get away with it because he'll still play the shot so well. In a bad run of form he'll pay the price.

Tendulkar's main criticism is that he can often play his defensive shots incorrectly. Compared to his teammate Rahul Dravid, who plays with soft hands into the ground, Tendulkar's attempts seem poor. He plays with harder hands and a straighter bat. However his ability to leave is so good and the fact he can even "place" his defensive shots make this a relativly small weakness.

I think that the best way to judge the issue is to leave it to the players themselves:

Steve Waugh: “You take Don Bradman away and he (Sachin) is next up, I reckon.”

Brian Lara: “Sachin is a genius. I'm a mere mortal." (Gotta love the humbleness of this guy)

Andy Flower: “There’s Sachin on one hand, and then there are the rest of us.”

Marlon Samuels: “Sachin is the best batsman in the world. The way he lifts the team and the way he bats. Watching him play helps me in my batting.”

Wasim Akram: “I have bowled to both Tendulkar and Lara and I have found Lara more attacking. Tendulkar has a tighter technique, no doubt, but Lara can single-handedly win the game for his team. I am not saying Tendulkar cannot do it but Lara has maybe done it more often than him. If you are asking me who the best batsman I have bowled to is, then it's not Tendulkar and not Lara as well. It's Martin Crowe... he was an amazing batsman. Regarding Tendulkar and Lara, I would love to have both in my team! Who wouldn’t?”

Glenn McGrath: “For me, it's Tendulkar.

Waqar Younis: “Unfortunately, I have not bowled enough to Tendulkar in Test matches but there is no doubt about his class. I have bowled against Lara and I have had some success against him. I think over the years I would say I have been fifty-fifty against both Tendulkar and Lara. I have got them a few times and they have got runs against me as well. I can never forget a 16-year-old Tendulkar batting on after being struck on the nose by a fast bouncer from me. I think Tendulkar is mentally tougher than Lara.”

Muthiah Muralitharan: “I have played a lot of cricket against Tendulkar compared to what I have played against Lara. While both are difficult to bowl to, I think Lara plays me better than Tendulkar. That Lara is a left-hander is an advantage to him, but the great thing about him is he launches into the attack straightaway. He uses his feet well against me while Tendulkar relies more on the sweep, I feel. I find Lara tougher.”

Jason Gillespie: “In my opinion it’s Tendulkar who is ahead of the two. Mentally stronger than Lara, he has a better technique as well. Tendulkar doesn't get worked up like Lara when the opposition has a few words to say to him. Lara on his day can be destructive, but you have to look at consistency and I think Tendulkar is definitely more consistent than Lara.”

Saqlain Mushtaq: “Both have their good qualities but I feel Tendulkar doesn't give as many chances as Lara does. Lara, once he settles down, can be a better player to watch because of the left-hander's grace and also because he plays more shots. He has played more match-winning innings compared to Tendulkar because he finished off the job once he is in. But Sachin is more compact and puts a heavy price on his wicket. It is more difficult to dislodge Tendulkar compared to Lara.”

Rohan Kanhai: “I have had the pleasure of watching him (Tendulkar) and he is a fantastic player, an entertainer and he's humble with it. That's a great quality for a young man.

But we (also) have great player in Lara. I also admire him. These are two batsmen you cannot touch at the moment. These two players you cannot differentiate”

Barry Richards: “Lara is a better batsman than Sachin simply because he tends to score big whenever he plays against teams like Australia and South Africa and the stats actually support it. Lara has scored three 200’s against the Aussies 2 of which have come in Australia and apart from that he has a test record of 375 as well whereas Sachin has a couple of 200’s against New Zealand and Zimbabwe and that too in India.”

Viv Richards:
"Q: Do you see any weakness in Sachin’s batting? Anything you want corrected?
A: Weakness? (Incredulous.) Corrected? When a guy is playing like that you don’t have a look at his batting for faults. I would say he’s 99.5 per cent perfect.
Q: Some players have commented that when he finishes he would be in the top two-three players who ever played the game?
A: Easy. I think he’s already there. Even if he retires tomorrow and doesn’t achieve anything more he is right there. And he’s still young. I have never seen Bradman but heard people talk about him. But I tell you what; if Bradman could bat like this man does then he was dynamite. I have seen only Sachin. Players like Sachin deserve to be preserved in cotton wool. I first saw him when he was touring England. I saw two of his innings. When you start hitting respectable fast bowlers for sixes over their heads then you are serving notice."

Brett Lee: “You might pitch a ball on the off stump and think you have bowled a good ball and he walks across and hits it for two behind midwicket. His bat looks so heavy but he just waves it around like it's a toothpick.”

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Both are fantastic batsman and its very hard to say which is better overall.

In recent times Tendulkar hasn't done to well, he is going through a period of change and is changing his style. When however he has put his mind to it and stopped playing shots he is uncomfortable with he has made huge scores, 240* and 194* against Australia and Pakistan. Is abit low on confidence but in due time that will come back :)