Conor Devlin

Einar15

He played for Aston Villa in the FA Youth Cup tonight against Arsenal. He supposedly had a great game despite Villa losing 3-2. A bit strange to loan him out considering he's our only backup keeper in the U18's unless it was just for this one game.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Hmm.. Very strange. Loaning him out for the sake of it would be very atypical at that level.

PS18

I know Villa's keeper picked up a very serious injury a few weeks back so I assume it's an emergency loan to cover that.

Seems like he had a good game:

Devlin (9) A very impressive performance from the youngster, he’s an excellent shot stopper, looked good on crosses, distributed the ball well and was calm under fire. It’s a shame he belongs to the people he belongs to. He didn’t deserve to be on the losing side tonight.
Chief obstacle to the Arsenal front line was Devlin, who added to an increasingly long list of good saves by flinging an especially impressive hand at a drive by Murphy, then keeping the same player’s header out from the resulting corner.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I know Villa's keeper picked up a very serious injury a few weeks back so I assume it's an emergency loan to cover that.

Seems like he had a good game:
Can't believe that so called supporters can still have a go at United even after we helped them out in a crisis.

This emergency loan is unique in our history. We have never loaned out a player on our books to another club to make their Youth Cup debut for another team.

Some players have played in the Youth Cup for other teams and then joined us, going on to play in the same competition for us a year later. Derek Brazil, Luke Steele and more recently Sean Evans have all done that.

In the first two rounds of the 2006/07 season we took Sam Filler on loan as Zieler was injured and we needed cover for Ben Amos. But the Bradford lad was only on the bench and never played.

PS18

Vaguely remember Michael Barnes being spotted playing in the Youth Cup for Lancaster as well?

PS18

Aston Villa had one banned goalkeeper and their other one, Thomas Dau, suffered a serious back/neck injury and had to be airlifted to hospital, apparently, which means that Devlin's loan is an emergency one and is probably just temporary.
From what I read, Dau was their only eligible keeper for the FAYC, their first-choice academy keeper this season for league games has been an over-age player who was too old for the cup.

Decotron

Vaguely remember Michael Barnes being spotted playing in the Youth Cup for Lancaster as well?
I was wondering about him earlier but wasnt sure. I also seem to remember a striker maybe 3/4 seasons ago who played against us in the youth cup, he played for some non league outfit, he was a leggy pacey 6ft striker. I think we took him on trial but he never actually lined out for us

Decotron

Bit surprised at his release. think his lack of height ultimately cost him. Fergie favours taller goalkeepers at this level. Alot of natural ability, more so than Johnston imo. I wonder how highly Coll is rated?

prateik

Wasnt height the problem with Heaton as well..
Heaton has done well at Cardiff. best wishes to Devlin

Heffo

First Academy year he was very dodgy but I thought he improved a lot in his second year. Too many keepers ahead of him last season though and made too many mistakes when given a chance. I agree that Johnstone looks more of a prospect.

I like the look of Coll and I think he'll do well next season if first choice for the academy. Can't really remember much on his aerial ability and distribution but in the few appearances he made for the academy he made a number of great stops. Even in the thrashing against Liverpool towards the end of the season when we fielded a severely weakened squad he kept the scoreline from being even worse.

PS18

Good shot stopper but error prone and poor on the aerial ball. Johnstone looks a far superior prospect and a few years younger.
Only a year younger (in pure age terms, year and a half or so) but agreed, Sam the much more naturally talented keeper.

MPTutd

Johnstone and Amos are better prospects, so I don't think he would have made it.

Plus we are about to sign a 20yo as first choice, so its not as if we have an ageing set of keepers!

x42bn6

Brentford sign goalkeeper Conor Devlin

Brentford have signed Northern Ireland Under-21 international goalkeeper Conor Devlin on a one-month contract.

The 20-year-old left Manchester United in the summer after three years with the club and was a free agent.

He will provide cover for first-choice keeper Richard Lee while back-up Simon Moore is out for a month with a shoulder injury.

Bees boss Uwe Rosler told the club website: "It will be a great experience for him and he has helped us."
BBC Sport - Brentford sign goalkeeper Conor Devlin

Hopefully he can earn himself a longer contract.