Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Any chance of getting a top 4 finish dies if he leaves. If he wanted out he should have said while Haaland and Nunez were still on the market

Volksie316

Ronaldo is an egotistical prick, who only cares about himself.

Will gladly see the back of his constant winging and bitching.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I still think he's gonna stay but oh well.
In case it happens shame it had to end this way but I guess sentimentality has no place in football anymore.

BerryBerryShrew

Suspected this last year his main goal now is extending the all time CL record.

Up to him of course but it seems obvious.
Do goals in CL qualifying rounds still count as CL goals? If so, he'll probably be signing one year deals in his 50's with the Latvian/Moldovan league winners in an effort to get a couple of goals in their qualifiers.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I mean that he was looking for some major investment and got a Feyenoord left back.
But the club is very close to signing De Jong for £60m and Lisandro Martinez for £40m, plus ETH has cleary targeted Malacia. So £115m will have been spent on stqrenghenin the squad quite soon, not to mention there is still lots of potential in the squad, which I think is being ignored because of the crazy bad season just gone. The good thing is the team can't get much worse so the only way is up really.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hope the club aren't serious about forcing him to stay.
Can't see that happening.

This is all speculation, of course: but let's say that Ronaldo was never overly keen on a season without CL football and that Mendes has been working on something for a while. The reason why this comes out now (and not weeks ago) is simply that they have only recently reached a point where a deal is realistic.

My guess would be that this deal is not with a club willing to match his current wages, but rather that Ronaldo is ready to take a pay cut in order to not miss out on CL football.

If all that is more or less true, it seems very unlikely to me that United would actively try to block the move: the bottom line is that Ronaldo wants out. Giving ETH a sulking, over-the-hill mega star with a huge ego as a welcome present would be insane.

Cloud7

How much did we actually pay to bring him in? I wonder what the club might consider a “good” offer to let him go?

BerryBerryShrew

We will be fine.

The fact he didn't make this clear earlier makes Ronaldo an even bigger tosser.
Bang on. He should have let the club know before the transfer window opened.
Yep, thats what annoys me, he could have let the club know as soon as the season was over if its because we haven`t got Champions league football and we could have looked for a striker before he went . If he goes now selling clubs know we are desperate to replace him and we get bent over a barrel again. We`ve always known he is a selfish twat though.
Maybe he was going to tell the higher ups in May but then he saw that we were attempting to basically sign anyone in Amsterdam who owns a pair of football boots so he held his tongue until he saw that Haller had signed a contract with another team before letting them know. Heroic in a way- he clearly does love the club!

Deery

Dreary
But the club is very close to signing De Jong for £60m and Lisandro Martinez for £40m, plus ETH has cleary targeted Malacia. So £115m will have been spent on stqrenghenin the squad quite soon, not to mention there is still lots of potential in the squad, which I think is being ignored because of the crazy bad season just gone. The good thing is the team can't get much worse so the only way is up really.
I’m not even sure those names would excite Ronaldo he is one of the greats after all, think he was looking an attacking partner of high esteem like Haaland but I’m only guessing, still think he’ll stay though..

el3mel

Not a surprise. He can talk as much as he wants about how he loves United but ultimately Ronaldo loves himself more than anything or anyone else. He has no problem cutting bridges as long as it benefits him and of course he's at the end of his career and won't be logical for him to play in a team preparing for a huge rebuild and won't win much in recent future.

Just wish fans understand that he's not ready to sacrifice anything for the club and stop fanboying over him. He's right to care about himself and his career more than United, for sure, but let's just not pretend otherwise.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I’m surprised why a would he not want to at least try to win Europa even once … he’s won the CL 5 times and I firmly believe winning the Europa with a decent but not good United would add far more to his legend than a CL with Bayern. Certainly would put him ahead of Messi, assuming Messi doesn’t win the CL or WC’22.

ForeverRed1

If you get good players in the squad, those that are capable of feeding him good passes, then he has shown that he can still stick the ball in the net unlike Rashford, Sancho etc etc
He doesn’t want to play europa league. Never has in his entire career unless I’m mistaken?

If he doesn’t want to be here.. let him go and I’m his biggest fan girl. We just can’t have him not in a good place. He’s way to big a character to keep around if he’s not happy. We need players that 100% want to be here and battle them all as ETH puts it :drool:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
It’s only right, he does not deserve to play his last years in the Europa league it’s beneath him.

C'est Moi Cantona

Assuming we get Antony, then surely ETH can make something out of Antony, Bruno, Rashford, Martial, and Sancho as a functioning front three, with Elanga, Garnacho, and Amad, potentially stepping up as well.

SportingCP96

Supports
I’m surprised why a would he not want to at least try to win Europa even once … he’s won the CL 5 times and I firmly believe winning the Europa with a decent but not good United would add far more to his legend than a CL with Bayern. Certainly would put him ahead of Messi, assuming Messi doesn’t win the CL or WC’22.
A 6th CL is far more valuable then a EL.

Ronaldo is the greatest CL player ever so to be able to continue to add to his goal tally and win a 6th would be insane for his legacy.

el3mel

This is a troll, right ? I hope it's.

SportingCP96

Supports
It seems pretty clear he’s going to end up at Bayern as a stop gap for 2 years while they look for Lewa replacement in a timely manner.

cj_sparky

It would be a shame if he left. Whilst we cannot deny his goalscoring, I still fee he affected the squad negatively in many ways.

Hopefully the club has learnt from hanging onto players whom don't want to be here and/or shouldn't be here.

God knows who we would get to replace him though, Rashford/Martial upfront would be pretty worrying.

RatPack

Get him out now. Only problem is we will not be able to get a new striker in.
But I will hate to get stuck with a grumpy old man.

RedDevilQuebecois

Replacement has to be João Felix or Nkunku.
Why João Felix? He cost Atletico Madrid £113 million (4th most expensive transfer), but he has not set the world on fire after 3 seasons over there. He may be Atletico's best player for last season, but a grand total of 10 goals in 35 appearances for 2021-22 is not even something worth talking about. Heck, I have seen Premier League strikers easily score more in the same amount of games just in a regular 38-match League campaign.

Rake

Was he in a coma until now? The things quoted leading to his transfer request have been known to him for months...

Also, which big team will actually sign him so he can fight for CL, which is presumably the point?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Why João Felix? He cost Atletico Madrid £113 million (4th most expensive transfer), but he has not set the world on fire after 3 seasons over there. He may be Atletico's best player for last season, but a grand total of 10 goals in 35 appearances for 2021-22 is not even something worth talking about.
Because he's top class. We'll be a much better footballing side. Add inverted wingers and he'll make us a force. I know it sounds crazy given he doesn't score much, but I think he's on the verge of being great.

Zevvythered

Very concerned with this news, was only last week CR7 said he looked forward to working with ETH!!

News coming out of Spain is that FDJ is staying… coincidence or not, but does Ronaldo want to leave because he knows this

Nero

Yeah, he wants to replace a striker with a right winger. The same right winger he was already interested in signing regardless of the Ronaldo situation.

city-puma

It’s probably the best for the team if he leaves. The team can develop properly. It looks more and more likely our last season meltdown has something related to him, unintentionally and/or indirectly.

jameyzane

I will never forget he was going to Manchester City before united stepped in. Madrid legend and all but Ronaldo is for Ronaldo only. If Barcelona had the look of a team that could win the UCL and league title, he'll join them in a heart beat never mind legendary status at Madrid. Ronaldo is for Ronaldo only. The guy doesn't do sentiments at all. I guess that's what he had to learn for a long storied career.

Nero

You're assuming he hasn't known about Ronaldo's wishes longer than we have. Unlikely.
Still doesn't alter the fact they play totally different positions and so the replacement angle is nonsensical.

redflash

There is optimism and reality, at this point no way we are replacing with an equal level.
No we won't but we'll go on. For better or worse the team will still be here without him and ill still be supporting them.

We survived him leaving last time and he was 10 times the player he is now.

I'd love him to stay but if he wants out let him go and wish him well

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Any chance of getting a top 4 finish dies if he leaves. If he wanted out he should have said while Haaland and Nunez were still on the market
Don't be negative, we can still re-sign cavani and give him the #7 shirt :lol:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
It’s only right, he does not deserve to play his last years in the Europa league it’s beneath him.
That’s nonsense. If it wasn’t, then he wouldn’t have signed for OGS’s United, and he wouldn’t be struggling to get a club the year after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.