Cycling 2024

Ainu

This is turning out to be the most pointless classics Spring ever. Pogacar with an 80km solo in the Strade, VDP without any sort of competition in the cobbled monuments. Undoubtedly phenomenal riders and performances, but pointless to watch.

Not sure LBL and the Giro will be any better either. Let's just hope Vingegaard can recover and be in top form in the Tour.

Mike Smalling

I’m not even convinced the outcome would have been any different in Flanders and Roubaix if the likes of Wout, Stuyven, Kirsch, Laporte, etc. had been available. The dynamic might have been a bit different, but MVDP is just different gravy.

Let’s hope Vingegaard, Roglic and Remco have decent preparations for the Tour despite their crashes.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Terrible terrible year so far. Outside of Paris Nice no bigger race, be it stage race or classic, had anything to offer and no improvement in sight until the Tour. Pog will wreck everyone at LBL and the Giro and then we just have to pray that all the favorites recover till July.

Ainu

I’m not even convinced the outcome would have been any different in Flanders and Roubaix if the likes of Wout, Stuyven, Kirsch, Laporte, etc. had been available. The dynamic might have been a bit different, but MVDP is just different gravy.

Let’s hope Vingegaard, Roglic and Remco have decent preparations for the Tour despite their crashes.
The result might have been the same, but it would've been a lot more interesting to watch. These races just offered nothing.

Mike Smalling

The result might have been the same, but it would've been a lot more interesting to watch. These races just offered nothing.
Agree. If Lidl-Trek had a few more riders in that last 30 man group they could have mounted a chase perhaps. Or if Visma had Wout and Laporte.

40-50 km solo rides have been pretty boring. At least Sanremo had a decent finish.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
First time in forever I turned off Roubaix before the end, genuinely can't remember the last time I did that, perhaps when Cancellara won his first one.

It took one attack and you just knew he was gone. 50km left but he would've won even with a few flat tires thrown in.

And yeah, no matter how good MVDP is, he won't stand a chance against Pogi in Liège. Those extra kg's won't do him any good when it's going up.

Mike Smalling

Imagine if Pogacar wins LBL and the Giro easily, and then faces a Vingegaard with poor preparation for the Tour (seems like the best case scenario for him, given he is still in hospital). Seriously underwhelming season in that case.

Could anyone challenge Pogacar at the Tour? I just don't think Roglic has it anymore.

Mike Smalling

That was a pretty good race to watch, and a nice win from Pidcock. Hopefully bodes well for the rest of the Ardennes classics.

Disaster for Wiebes in the women's edition though. That's gonna hurt for a long time.

whitbyviking

That was a pretty good race to watch, and a nice win from Pidcock. Hopefully bodes well for the rest of the Ardennes classics.

Disaster for Wiebes in the women's edition though. That's gonna hurt for a long time.
Pidcock did really well there, great seeing him win a sprint at his size. Thought Benoot looked clear favourite in the final stretch

Ainu

Pidcock did really well there, great seeing him win a sprint at his size. Thought Benoot looked clear favourite in the final stretch
Benoot? He's never been a good sprinter. And don't forget Pidock once beat Van Aert in a sprint in the Brabantse Pijl, and some would say in the Amstel Gold Race as well.

In any case, this was an exciting finish. More of that in LBL please! Though with Pogacar taking part, who am I kidding?

whitbyviking

Benoot? He's never been a good sprinter. And don't forget Pidock once beat Van Aert in a sprint in the Brabantse Pijl, and some would say in the Amstel Gold Race as well.

In any case, this was an exciting finish. More of that in LBL please! Though with Pogacar taking part, who am I kidding?
I wasn’t expecting a sprint sprint, more of an every man for himself broken dash from about 1km out and Benoot was looking strong. If he’d moved towards the fence he’d have blocked Pidcock and Hirschi in too, so he missed out there.

Pidcock definitely beat Van Aert that year at Amstel, even Benji from the Lanterne Rouge admits it. :lol:

Lookong forward to LBL, think Pogacar can be got at to hopefully make it a bit interesting.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It'll be a non-race just like the Ronde and Roubaix. None of them can even remotely come close to what Pogi can do uphill. He'll be more fresh, more motivated and just plain simple a lot better than his opponents. If he doesn't crash, he's a guarantee to win for me.

Best case scenario is he waits until the Roche aux Faucons. Worst case, he's gone at Redoute just like Remco last year.

Mike Smalling

Crazy conditions for Fleche Wallone today! Just saw a clip of Skjelmose fully hypothermic after he DNF'ed. Tough one for him after being one of the pre-race favorites. Great effort from Kragh Andersen, but 60 km solo in those conditions was never going to be easy. Great finish from Williams!

Also, delightful win for Niewiadoma in the women's edition :drool: didn't realize it had been that long since her last road victory.

Ainu

So far, this is going exactly as everyone predicted: Pogacar solo on La Redoute and the race is virtually done. Impressive, but not much reason to watch the last 30 km.

Mike Smalling

So great to see! Almost exactly four weeks since he broke his collarbone and several ribs. Hope we get to see his best at the Tour.