Danny Simpson

rocks13

Off on loan to Newcastle on loan til January.

Should get a regular place there with Habib Beye gone so I guess this might lead to a permanent move.

datura

A good move and a chance to re-establish himself given his disappointing spell at Blackburn where he didn't get enough games. With the strength in depth at full back I don't see him at United next season so hopefully he'll play well and remind clubs what a good player he is and get himself a good move.

SecondFig

Started last night against Wednesday, apparently played alright but spent most of his time passing the ball backwards.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Decent interview with him today on the club's official site. Sounds to me like he'll stay there this season, play as long as he's healthy, and hopefully help them back into the Premiership. Might pick up his second Championship title.

Simmo shining on Tyneside

United defender Danny Simpson is playing an integral role as Newcastle bid to return to the top flight, starting virtually every game for the table-topping Magpies. ManUtd.com grabbed 10 minutes with Simmo for the story so far...

Q: You've been on plenty of loan before; how does this one compare?It’s up there. Obviously with Newcastle being relegated last season and everything that’s gone on, people think there’s a lot going on behind the scenes. Since I’ve been here I’ve only seen a good bunch of players and staff, and we’re playing well and with a lot of confidence. The fans are crazy for football, so it’s up there among the best.

Q: Are there any parallels between United and Newcastle?
In some ways. In the Premier League, everybody sees United at Old Trafford as the fixture, the big scalp to go for, while United are expected to win every game. On a smaller scale, it’s like that here. Newcastle at St James’ Park is what all the Championship clubs look at now. 45,000 fans turn up, they’re very passionate and expect wins, and the expectations and demands are very high.

Q: Have all the players banded together, given Newcastle's off-field turmoil?
Obviously we can’t affect what goes on upstairs. We’ve just got to train, play matches and win points. I think it has pulled us together. A few people have left, so the small group that remains has been pulled tight together and we’re all fighting for one another to do well and get out of this league.

Q: What are your new team-mates like?
I know a few of them anyway – obviously Butty (Nicky Butt) and Smudge (Alan Smith), and I know Danny Guthrie from when he used to be United when he was 14. I’ve always stayed in contact with him since he left, so coming up here has been great. Everyone’s great. Even the lads I didn’t know made it very easy for me to settle in. Joey (Barton) is a top lad who always has a smile on his face, Andy Carroll, (Steve) Harper. The foreign lads are funny. Geremi, to be fair, give me tips every day and he’s helping me. He’s been at some of the best clubs in the world, so that’s unbelievable for me. It’s a good mix of lads.

Q: How do you think Chris Hughton has done as caretaker manager?
Obviously he’s done really well. All the talk of different managers coming in can’t be easy for him, but he’s done well. He’s given me a chance to play and it’s been great. He’s spot on in training and his preparation for games is spot-on too, he’s getting all the background on the opposition. Some lads don’t know who they’re up against in this league, and Chris has made sure we’re prepared for each game.

Q: What have you learned so far?
For me, the loan at Blackburn didn’t go too well. It’s just getting back into playing week in, week out, which I’ve missed. It wasn’t a nice, enjoyable time so it’s good to be back in action. There are a lot of quality players in this team who I’m always learning off, the likes of Nicky Butt, and the staff and how they approach games.

Q: What do you think went wrong for you at Blackburn?
The first six months I played the first 12 out of 14 league games under Paul Ince. The team weren’t doing too well, but it was going well for me personally. Incey got sacked and Big Sam came in and it was just one of those things. People have their favourites and their ways of playing and my face didn’t fit when Sam came in. That’s part of football. I just got my head down, carried on training and saw the season out.

Q: Have you been pleased with your performances?
It’s going really well. Over the first few games I was just getting into it, but now I’m feeling comfortable and more settled at the club with the staff, lads and fans. I just look forward to every game I can be involved in.

Q: Have United been regularly in touch with you?
(Laughs) Yeah, Joycey (Warren Joyce) is always ringing me up! He’s still watching all the DVDs after every game and ringing us to see how the games are going. He’s been to a couple of games too and given me a couple of pointers, positive and negative, and he’s keeping an eye on it because I’m still a United player. The contract’s running out but they’re still taking an interest in how I’m doing, and I’m only here till January. At the moment we’ll be making a decision in January.

Q: It must be quite reassuring to have that regular contact...
Yeah, obviously I still support the club and follow them. I’ve been on so many loan spells that sometimes you feel like you’re always away. So it’s good to get phone calls and know they’re still watching you. Jonny Evans rang the other week to say that he was watching my games and the lads were keeping an eye on how Newcastle were faring, and that’s nice to hear. The other lads are still looking to see how the loan lads are doing.

Q: What's your aim for this season?
For now, to get as many games as I can for Newcastle before January. I’d like to get 15-20 games before then and be in the top two in the Championship. After that I’ll sit down with Sir Alex and make a decision on what to do next. If United said they wanted me to be involved because of injuries, then I’d love that. It’s going well here and I’d love to spend a full season helping them get promotion and maybe winning another Championship. I wouldn’t mind winning another one!

prateik

he's as good as gone
-I still support the club and follow them.
-The contract’s running out

so he'll leave on a free at the end of the season .. i remember the game against wigan (?) where he came on and did well .. had high hopes