David Gray

Decotron

From Tribalbolloxs

Man Utd kid Gray on way to Plymouth
01.01.09 | tribalfootball.com
Manchester United youngster David Gray is set to join Plymouth Argyle on-loan to the end of the season.

United have agreed to let the Scotland Under-21 international team up with fellow Red Devils starlet Craig Cathcart at Home Park.

Gray, 20, will finalise personal terms on Thursday and United's reserve team captain will be eligible for Plymouth's FA Cup third-round tie with Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium.

Manager Paul Sturrock is also on the look-out for a striker during the transfer window and told the club's official website: "Scoring goals will be an area I am trying to do something about.

"We will attempt to strengthen that area of the team because, if you look at stats and figures, we haven't scored enough goals."

Good move for him, solid youngster might set him up for a decent career somewhere else

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
Good player but I can´t see him having much of a future at United... he´ll Sail Away sooner or later.

cj_sparky

Good player but I can´t see him having much of a future at United... he´ll Sail Away sooner or later.
I haven't seen much of him to be honest. I watched him against Peterborough in preseason and he looked very average at best.

Has he actually stood out in the reserves?

RedPhil1957

I haven't seen much of him to be honest. I watched him against Peterborough in preseason and he looked very average at best.

Has he actually stood out in the reserves?

He had nearly a year out with injury and it took time to get back to his best. I think he has improved a lot since pre-season, certainly got plenty of determination and he tackles hard and well for an ex-winger but his distribution lets him down sometimes. He reminds me a bit of a young Gazza, his sheer determination his biggest strength.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He had nearly a year out with injury and it took time to get back to his best. I think he has improved a lot since pre-season, certainly got plenty of determination and he tackles hard and well for an ex-winger but his distribution lets him down sometimes. He reminds me a bit of a young Gazza, his sheer determination his biggest strength.
I see the same similarities as well. He could still make it if he has a freak John O'Shea like season next year.

Maroon Lucifer

I remember when O'Shea came through. It all happened very sudden. He lost his baby fat, he got really tall and athletic in his posture almost overnight.

Epic

Nightmare of a debut with an own goal.

PS18

He's got the sort of determination and attitude that will probably earn him a decent career in the game but I don't see the comparison with O'Shea at all. JOS' breakthrough wasn't 'that' sudden, he'd looked very good at reserve level for a while, like someone who was a first-teamer in waiting - Gray's never looked like that for me.

Kieran Lee was much more of a possible 'new JOS' in terms of versatility imo, and a better player than Gray, and he went to Oldham on a free of course.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Can't help but see the cynicism With Gray going on loan.. a week before Plymouth playing Arsenal.. Ofcourse that was not the reason he was sent there but surely SAF had known they were gonna play Arsenal in the FA Cup..

P.S To those who saw the game how did Cathcart do? and how has his season been so far is he progressing well?

Kieran Lee was much more of a possible 'new JOS' in terms of versatility imo, and a better player than Gray, and he went to Oldham on a free of course.
I thought Kieran Lee was rated among United's ranks... Was his contract up (or was he just a trainee) Why did he decide to go to Oldham? Is it because they are a local club? He surely is capable of playing in a higher league...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's got the sort of determination and attitude that will probably earn him a decent career in the game but I don't see the comparison with O'Shea at all. JOS' breakthrough wasn't 'that' sudden, he'd looked very good at reserve level for a while, like someone who was a first-teamer in waiting - Gray's never looked like that for me.

Agreed. Really thought he was in with a chance and hoped the loan to QPR would be the making of him. Turns out it was the opposite.