Denis Irwin

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The best right back and best left back in last 30 years. Evra was great obviously but would he have been so good on the right flank.
If together (Lb and RB) I agree. Regarding your second comment Irwin was a better LB to Evra as well. Patrice was superb in going forward same as Denis was but he wasn't as good in defending as Irwin was.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
How do you think Irwin would get on as a full back in today’s game? Seems to me that modern full backs tend to be a lot more athletic and stronger.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
How do you think Irwin would get on as a full back in today’s game? Seems to me that modern full backs tend to be a lot more athletic and stronger.
I think he'd be okay. Hard work and determination go a long way, Denis had both of these in bucketloads. He wasn't tall or renowned for his aerial ability but he was certainly strong given his stature, you have to remember, he was coming up against wingers like Overmars and Pires as well as De Livio and Rivaldo in Europe. The game was more physical then too, and he coped just fine.

A guaranteed 7 out of 10 every week. Model player for consistency, kept his head down and worked fecking hard time after time.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
If he had exactly the same access to sport science and nutrition has the players do today, he would be fine. He was hard working and had good technical skills, that would carry him through whilst his athleticism would be much higher level due to the SS and nutrition.

Foxbatt

To me he was a better lb than Evra and a better rb than Gary Neville.

SharpshooterTom

Athletic, stronger and better footballers but overall are worse defenders.