Dominoes draft: QF - Tuppet vs Moby

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
That is weird because, Scirea must be leaving someone if he comes to support Popescu against Cruyff. If he comes forward to deal with Cruyff than you leave Boniek / Litti / RVN against Chiellini and Bergomi.
And where are Evra and Amoros? Back in France?

Tuppet

The detail you keep on missing is I'm defending deep as a unit, you are defending against a rampaging counter attacking unit. We aren't on level pegging as far as defensive assignments and responsibility for individual players go. It's the advantage I get for fielding an extra defender.
I actually doubt you have a rampaging counter attacking unit as there is a distinct lack of pace in your front three. For Juve for example Boniek provided that thrust and on left wingback side Cabrini was on a different level to Evra as well. Also the whole thing we are defending deep so nobody can score against us doesn't really work. When you have a genius like Cruyff to pick apart deep defenses, you are only delaying the inevitable. Not to mention it blunts your attacking quite a bit. That Scirea led defense is hardly impregnable against my attacking unit. Take for example when Zico & co destroyed their defense in 82. Defending deep is not a silver bullet.

Moby

Dick
Same place where you sent Littbarski when Evra was isolating Vogts.
Nah like I said Evra is more used to the role of a two-way machine, especially physically. He has the pace and stamina to do it for 90 minutes.

You aren't even playing in a quick transition system where you can catch Evra off guard (he will catch up anyway or Chiellini takes care of the problem till he retreats). You don't have anyone comparable to Scirea in terms of playing out the ball, and your tactics allow me the time to settle back. It's not a challenging task for the players I have picked.

Moby

Dick
Take for example when Zico & co
Bit convenient to imply that your side will attack at the level of one of the greatest teams ever seen whose foundation was the elite level of understanding and chemistry between them, not to mention a genius midfield controlling the midfield behind an elite #10. No chance you recreate that here.

Tuppet

Nah like I said Evra is more used to the role of a two-way machine, especially physically. He has the pace and stamina to do it for 90 minutes.

You aren't even playing in a quick transition system where you can catch Evra off guard (he will catch up anyway or Chiellini takes care of the problem till he retreats). You don't have anyone comparable to Scirea in terms of playing out the ball, and your tactics allow me the time to settle back. It's not a challenging task for the players I have picked.
He never played the role you want him to play here. He was not a wingback and was not an elite level attacker.
In terms of pace? How?
In terms of technical ability, which is required when you are attacking.
Bit convenient to imply that your side will attack at the level of one of the greatest teams ever seen whose foundation was the elite level of understanding and chemistry between them, not to mention a genius midfield controlling the midfield behind an elite #10. No chance you recreate that here.
That team is considered one of the most dysfunctional. We actually have real wingers and a vastly superior striker to Serginho. Nothing between creative talents of Cruyff and Zico, the point was to illustrate that defending deep and as a unit are vague answers which don't really mean you would succeed in defending against this attack.

Moby

Dick
That team is considered one of the most dysfunctional. We actually have real wingers and a vastly superior striker to Serginho. Nothing between creative talents of Cruyff and Zico, the point was to illustrate that defending deep and as a unit are vague answers which don't really mean you would succeed in defending against this attack.
I haven't said defending deep is a universal winning situation.

I'm saying the players I have defending deep have a better shot at keeping your team out as opposed to your midfield and defense against my team on the counter.

Moby

Dick
Come on man you are better than making that strawman. He lacked technical ability when compared to Cabrini.
I haven't seen any evidence for that?

Both were excellent in attack and stretching play. No doubt Cabrini was a better defender but going forward can you please provide evidence showing Cabrini was better in terms of technical ability, dribbling, link up etc?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I'll have to read up on the last two pages as I see long posts from Moby and Tuppet but it dawned on me that the best way to express the sides for me is Moby is easier on the imagination. I have a harder time imagining Tuppet's side working well. Off to read...

Moby

Dick
Really ? that dinosaur was better than Popescu who is tasked to stop Cruyff !
Defensively? Popescu is the greatest defender to play for his country and has far more defensive exposure.

Not to mention he has a spare man manning a wall of defense, a certain Gaetano Scirea.

Your team is at a far bigger defensive risk, it's clear as day.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Bit odd of a comparison tbf. The team wasn't "dysfunctional" either. The loss to Italy was hardly the hallmark of a "dysfunctional" side as the goals were the result mostly of individual mistakes - getting lazy rather than anything wrong with the overall chemistry or tactics. Only reason the striker was Serginho was due to injury (Careca) and prejudice (Reinaldo). I don't really see the comparison here. Nothing in your tactics (bog standard modern 4231) or personnel makes me think it will play like 1982 Brazil.

Tuppet

Bit odd of a comparison tbf. The team wasn't "dysfunctional" either. The loss to Italy was hardly the hallmark of a "dysfunctional" side as the goals were the result mostly of individual mistakes - getting lazy rather than anything wrong with the overall chemistry or tactics. Only reason the striker was Serginho was due to injury (Careca) and prejudice (Reinaldo). I don't really see the comparison here. Nothing in your tactics or personnel makes me think it will play like 1982 Brazil.
I never claimed we are playing like Brazil 82. Also I was praising their attack in that even though Italy had a mean defense awesome creative players like Zico still found a way to get their team to score 4 goals. My point was just that sitting deep and defending is not a super secure way against top class creative players like Zico / Cruyff they would find a way with their flair and passing esp if you consistently pass them the initiative.

Moby

Dick
Well this looks done.

Think this is pretty close and both teams have areas where they will get some joy. I clearly banked on my back 5 to work well as the players are very well suited to the cause and boast some genuiune quality. And loved building that front 3, which perhaps needed another big name besides Michel.

Good game Tuppet and good luck!

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Well this looks done.

Think this is pretty close and both teams have areas where they will get some joy. I clearly banked on my back 5 to work well as the players are very well suited to the cause and boast some genuiune quality. And loved building that front 3, which perhaps needed another big name besides Michel.

Good game Tuppet and good luck!
Seems to be a curse when building a team around Platini. The biggest names don't necessarily seem to mesh, yet it's tough taking the lower-level greats deeper into the competition against increasingly star-studded opposition. There's very little to choose between the two teams here IMO, but I particularly like Del Piero as a Platini foil in your team and the overall coherence and solidity is impressive. I didn't really agree with the extent of the RVN criticism though - the question marks over his compatability with Cruyff are reasonable, but in terms of overall quality he's far from out of place in this company.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Lot of time for Moby's attack and the build of his back three. Prefer Tuppet's midfield pair in terms of quality. Cruyff probably gets more love than Platini but I'd have them on par myself.
Defensively? Popescu is the greatest defender to play for his country and has far more defensive exposure.
I'd probably give that honour to Belodedici purely on defensive ability, but recognise that Popescu brings a wider package to the table.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I honestly couldn't vote in this. It's really tough to separate the two sides. At least my vote wouldn't have mattered in this match. :angel:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Do you have articles about Ocwirk?

Lot of time for Moby's attack and the build of his back three. Prefer Tuppet's midfield pair in terms of quality. Cruyff probably gets more love than Platini but I'd have them on par myself.

I'd probably give that honour to Belodedici purely on defensive ability, but recognise that Popescu brings a wider package to the table.
I prefer Platini :angel:

Righteous Steps

Would have voted for Mobys team(not that it would matter much) love Platini who was the Ronaldo to Maradona(Messi) of the 80's.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Would have voted for Mobys team(not that it would matter much) love Platini who was the Ronaldo to Maradona(Messi) of the 80's.
The next righteous step is you participate in the next draft and build your own team!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Not so many contributions from neutrals in this game but we still have 27 voters. A pity.

I guess it's thanks to the newly given access to newbies to post in the main football forums